24th Journal (*Spoilers)

#1 Posted by slndr (63 posts) -

In the garage if you look up in the rafters you will see a purple ball. Knock it down with a Can. Take the ball upstairs to Sam's room. On the door there is a basketball hoop... dunk that ball.

#2 Edited by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

I will punch you through the internet if this is just bullshitting.

#3 Posted by slndr (63 posts) -

Try it Meow and tell me what you think

#4 Posted by SunBroZak (1067 posts) -

I can confirm that it's pretty great.

#5 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Oh man, that is fantastic!

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

So, I guess that's two Ken Levine related Easter eggs then?

#7 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Having trouble getting the ball down. Still not sure if this is a real thing.

EDIT1: Apparently, it has to be a soda can. One can be found in the recycables in the garage.

EDIT2: I'm losing my shit right now.

#8 Posted by slndr (63 posts) -

I guess that 2nd last credits slide makes sense now.

#9 Edited by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

Having trouble getting the ball down. Still not sure if this is a real thing.

EDIT1: Apparently, it has to be a soda can. One can be found in the recycables in the garage.

EDIT2: I'm losing my shit right now.

I found the milk carton in the recycle bin works best.

Also:

Thanks for pointing this out, @slndr, um, sorry for threatening to internet-punch you :(

#10 Edited by development (2217 posts) -

Going to try this. If you're fucking with me...

#11 Posted by development (2217 posts) -

That was... something. Gave me an excuse to jump back in and listen to some more journals again, though.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

That was... something. Gave me an excuse to jump back in and listen to some more journals again, though.

While you're in, go to the pantry and look for a bottle at the back, behind two boxes.

Also, this is what the cat Easter egg is referencing:

#13 Edited by development (2217 posts) -

@beachthunder: The salad dressing? I picked that up real quick and didn't notice anything special about it.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

@beachthunder: The salad dressing? I picked that up real quick and didn't notice anything special about it.

#15 Posted by captain_max707 (485 posts) -

@development said:

The first code you find is also 0451... They must really, really be into Ken Levine.

#16 Posted by SterlingEricsson (13 posts) -

@slndr said:

In the garage if you look up in the rafters you will see a purple ball. Knock it down with a Can. Take the ball upstairs to Sam's room. On the door there is a basketball hoop... dunk that ball.

See, I thought this was just BS, like all the people that go around to the review articles and make bogus claims about seeing the ghost at the end of the game or whatever.

Except this wasn't BS. And the result of that dunk was beautiful. Thank you so much for this.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@development said:

The first code you find is also 0451... They must really, really be into Ken Levine.

Well, people that worked on Gone Home worked on BioShock 2. Also, it seems that the first use of that code was in System Shock 1 - which in turn was a reference to Fahrenheit 451. So, I guess you should really blame Ray Bradbury and/or Warren Spector.

#18 Edited by development (2217 posts) -

@beachthunder: Hah! Thankfully, I went back and looked on my own before seeing your reply. I especially liked the lens flares.

#19 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

That's great.

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3597 posts) -

Didn't one of the developers also work on Bioshock Infinite before leaving to make this game? Seems like a cool nod.

#21 Posted by bjorndadwarf (18 posts) -

I forgot to ever reply to this thread, and thank you all not only for introducing me to this easter egg, but for slightly redeeming the internet forever. I was sure that this was all bullsh*t. It wasn't, and that is beautiful.

#22 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@probablytuna: Yeah, Steve Gaynor started as a designer for Bioshock 2, then wrote and designed Minerva's Den, before working for a year at Irrational on Infinite. He then convinced some of his team from Minerva's Den to move to Portland and make this.

#23 Posted by dulidab (1 posts) -

Levine easter egg #3

You find this in the library. the quote is taken by Casey DeWitt

#24 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

@dulidab said:

Levine easter egg #3

You find this in the library. the quote is taken by Casey DeWitt

Ah, I get it, it's a book...

er...

#27 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3233 posts) -

Now I see why the scores are so high.

#28 Edited by Cirdain (3038 posts) -

This was fantastic, thanks for finding these guys!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.