Game refuses to launch properly.

#1 Edited by SunBroZak (1030 posts) -

Well after seeing how many good reviews and threads this game has been responsible for, I thought I'd check it out. Unfortunately, whenever I try to launch the game from Steam, I'm met with a black screen my mouse's loading bar. It appears my resolution changes as well. Is there anything in a config. file that I can alter which will fix this issue?

#2 Posted by SunBroZak (1030 posts) -

To add a little insight for those also experiencing problems, their steam support page has offered a few suggestions. http://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/discussions/1/#

Namely disabling Avast if you have it. Sadly none of these solutions have worked for me, yet. I'm in the process of downloading the DRM-free version, so here's hoping that works.

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Have you tried disabling the in-game Steam overlay features?

#4 Posted by SunBroZak (1030 posts) -

It somehow fixed itself earlier. I can't explain why, but my best guess is that I uninstalled and re-installed Avast. If anyone is still having issues, perhaps you should try that.

#5 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

@sunbrozak: From the official Facebook page for the game:

"Good news! If you are crashing on startup, disable Avast! Antivirus before launching. This should fix the crash. We do not know if we can patch the game the to fix this conflict, but we will be looking into it. In the meantime, please use this workaround!"

#6 Edited by STUVNING (140 posts) -

Just thought I'd add what gave me issues with Gone Home. The game refused to launch if I had Actual Multiple Montiors running. If you use it and Gone Home doesn't launch at all, try exiting Actual Multiple Monitors (or any other multiple monitor software)

#7 Edited by dezvous (534 posts) -

@stuvning: Holy crap, sometimes I feel like the only person who uses that software. I would have never thought to disable it. Thanks for the heads up! See you around at One Eyed Jack's.

#8 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

It refuses to launch as a game.

#9 Posted by Gregalor (55 posts) -

There's a patch now that reportedly fixes the "won't start" bug. Give it a shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.