Gone Meh (BLANKET SPOILER WARNING)

Posted by JamesEnsor (10 posts) -

I figured buried on a Tumblr that nobody reads would be a dumb place to put this, but I had to get my impressions out of my brain somewhere and I wanted to put it on a place where people might share my thoughts.

I just finished Gone Home, and while it was a nice game with good expositional and narrative storytelling mechanics, it just left me kinda' meh. Maybe it's the fact that I'm in my late-30's and the teenage love story just didn't speak to me. No, it wasn't the fact that it was a same-sex romance, either. It's 2013. Same-sex relationships are (whether some people like it or not) a societal norm, so it's fair game.

I liked how it played, though. It makes me wish someone would remake some of the old Sierra-On-Line FMV horror games like Shivers or Phantasmagoria like this. It had all of that same heavy atmosphere.

All in all, it was just kind of meh, to me. I sort of wish I felt like all these other people.

#1 Edited by VoshiNova (1633 posts) -

Would you recommend it to a friend? I've been on a cheapskate fence for awhile now.

#2 Posted by erhard (378 posts) -

I thought it was interesting enough to make the 2.5 hours or whatever worth it. I really don't understand why someone would think it's one of the best games of the year, though.

#3 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I think the real achievement of this game is that defies common videogame expectations. There is no ghost, turns out the whole thing is completely grounded and yet still made me interested in the narrative. With being littered with items to interact with that are not crucial to progression, it defied the common "you can only interact with what's important" adventure game trope as well. And I also love how personal it felt.

David Cage could learn a thing or two from this game.

Phantasmagoria was terrible on every level, btw.

#4 Edited by JamesEnsor (10 posts) -

@voshinova: If you're in for curiosity's sake, then I would wait until it hits $10 or below. Otherwise, you're just paying $20 for a relatively short experience.

#5 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

I think the real achievement of this game is that defies common videogame expectations. There is no ghost, turns out the whole thing is completely grounded and yet still made me interested in the narrative. With being littered with items to interact with that are not crucial to progression, it defied the common "you can only interact with what's important" adventure game trope as well. And I also love how personal it felt.

David Cage could learn a thing or two from this game.

Phantasmagoria was terrible on every level, btw.

Phantasmagoria was fantastic, and nothing you say can convince me otherwise.

#6 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I thought it was incredible and the best thing I've played all year. I only play games for the story and I found the narrative to be excellent both in execution and writing. The overall mood and atmosphere was fantastic and Chris Remo's score is great as well. So I thought it was better than meh, even though I can understand why people would feel that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.