Noises *spoilers*

#1 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

So I beat the game last night. It was phenomenal. Loved it.

One thing I noticed, though, is that when I was looking around in the basement I could hear footsteps on the upper floors. It actually really creeped me out even if the game ended up being completely different than I originally thought (not a spooky ghost story).

I also had a couple of different instances where I was reading a note and it sounded like something was moving around in another room.

I'm probably not the only one that noticed this, right? I think it's brilliant.

#2 Edited by Coafi (1490 posts) -

I posted something similar on the spoilers thread, I thought I was the only one. Or that my mind was playing tricks on me. Did you also hear doors creaking as if someone was opening and closing them? The strange thing is that I was constantly closing doors and never left them open and yet, I still heard noises.

#3 Edited by SuperTess (142 posts) -

Definitely heard some noises. And the shadow cast from the plant at the end of the hall looked like a shadow of a person from a certain angle.

#4 Edited by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

Definitely heard some noises. And the shadow cast from the plant at the end of the hall looked like a shadow of a person from a certain angle.

Oh man, I never noticed that! I'll have to check that out.

And yeah I did remember hearing doors creaking and stuff. I tried to close most of the doors I opened.

#5 Posted by planetfunksquad (467 posts) -

It was creepy as hell, but I just put it down to floor boards creeking and rain tapping on the roof. That game is constantly fucking with you.

#6 Posted by yinstarrunner (1219 posts) -

@supertess said:

I noticed that, too. It freaked me out for a microsecond a couple of times. Overall, this game's atmosphere is very creepy, maybe even TOO creepy for what the game is. But about half-way through I was so engrossed in the stories and plots that I managed to tune all that stuff out.

#7 Edited by spiceninja (3063 posts) -

I heard noises too that creeped me out but then I found a paper from an electrical company explaining that the house was old and the wiring was weird so you would hear strange noises when you stepped on certain floorboards or something to that effect. I don't remember it in detail but it explained why you hear what you hear as you play.

#8 Posted by captain_max707 (492 posts) -

I definitely noticed that stuff. I scare fairly easily in games (the light going out when you pick up the cross got me more than it should have), but I think it didn't go too far. In a way, any fear I had from noises and dark rooms I had mirrored my fear of what I would find next in Sam's story, as I powered through both of them to see what happened next.

#9 Posted by pyrodactyl (2190 posts) -

@supertess said:

I noticed that, too. It freaked me out for a microsecond a couple of times. Overall, this game's atmosphere is very creepy, maybe even TOO creepy for what the game is.

I totally agree. Really liked the game but the tonal inconstistency between the story and the atmosphere was quite jarring.

#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2ot3sg991rrdvx9o1_400.gif

#11 Edited by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

There was one part very early on where I turned around to see an open door that I was almost certain I had closed, and just as I looked at it lightning struck. Was this another one of their fake creepy things, or am I just totally fucking stupid and forgot to close the door?

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I am not a brave guy, but i played halfway through Amnesia, and i was about to stop playing this half way through because of the sounds i was hearing, and the tone i was getting.

#13 Posted by MildMolasses (3225 posts) -

There was one part very early on where I turned around to see an open door that I was almost certain I had closed, and just as I looked at it lightning struck. Was this another one of their fake creepy things, or am I just totally fucking stupid and forgot to close the door?

Tough to say. I left all the doors open on purpose to help keep track of where I had already been.Though I suppose if I turned around and saw a bunch of doors closed that I knew I had already opened, I might have shit myself

#14 Posted by bawalo (64 posts) -

Walking down the steps to the basement, I definately heard other footsteps. Brilliant.

#15 Posted by Unequivocable (225 posts) -

That damn TV in the family room with the emergency weather broadcast really fucked with me. I could swear I heard talking in the background but I wasn't sure if it was outside my actual house or from the game. I ran in there any turned that off.

Also, had to play this during the day. Even knowing it wasn't about jump scares or ghosts, damn did that house creep me out.

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@hunter5024 said:

Tough to say. I left all the doors open on purpose to help keep track of where I had already been.Though I suppose if I turned around and saw a bunch of doors closed that I knew I had already opened, I might have shit myself

Dude yeah. That part convinced me this was going to turn into a horror game any second. I nearly pissed myself.

#17 Posted by Gregalor (57 posts) -

It's a bit of a cheat on the game's part, but I think they were trying to replicate how you actually would start misinterpreting noises as footsteps, etc. The only way they can convey that in the game is to actually have the sound of footsteps.

#18 Posted by probablytuna (3732 posts) -

I heard whispers, footsteps and doors creaking. Definitely spooked the shit out of me.

#19 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

$20 noises.

#20 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

House is old, rickety, has had a previous possibly insane occupant, it's been raining like no tomorrow and you're all alone. I remember visiting my aunt's mansion as a kid and it was creepy as heck with all the cold marble and quiet, dark corridors that lead to who knows where....

Yeah, it's definitely intentionally spooky and if you were in a real house like that you would be creeped out too. Some might not like that it went for that atmosphere but I loved it cause that's how I think I would feel if I were in a place like that. I would totally be hunting for ghosts and shit like Sam and Lornie.

#21 Edited by Milkman (17035 posts) -

I swear to god I heard someone whisper "hey, you" while I was in the basement.

#23 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -

That part where you grab the crucifix and the light goes out fucked me up worse than any noises I heard

#24 Posted by TheCebass (1 posts) -

@milkman: I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I did hear that too! When I was looking at the safe in the basement! It creep me out. I actually found this thread in relation to that whisper since it got me curious.

#25 Posted by uniform (1836 posts) -

Really late to the party on this game. I just finished it and had to read if anyone else experienced what I had.

I knew beforehand that there was nothing supernatural going on after reading a review, plus as mentioned above you do find an invoice detailing electrical problems.

That said, I most definitely heard other footsteps occur on a few occasions. I too heard the whisper "Hey you" in the basement. It was definitely a girl's voice (Sam?). Lastly, a room I had yet to enter had the lights off, checked another room, came back to it a moment later to discover the light turned on.

I'm convinced these were deliberately placed to plant the idea that you may not be alone in the house.

#26 Posted by armedpatriots (23 posts) -

I too am super late to the party on this game...but man is it great. I probably would have called this my game of the year, had I played it. What a way to introduce characters without ever putting a character on screen. So elegantly done. Can't wait to see Fullbright's next game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.