Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gone Home

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2013

Set in a large multi-story house during a 1995 thunderstorm, Gone Home is a first-person exploration game where a young woman finds out what happened to her family since she was away on a long overseas trip.

SPOILERS - Oscar Masan Backstory? - SPOILERS

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eskimo

Finished playing it, loved it. Amazing stuff.

I think I picked up the motivations for most of the key characters, but I have a couple of questions about Oscar Masan.

What did he do that made his sister/family hate him?

Why was he so lonely?

Why did he give away the pharmacy?

Where did you find this information?

edit - cripes, how did this become three threads? Can someone delete the other two?

PS - I think I found most of my answers in the other thread.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I *think*, based on the note to the sister, the fact that the height measurements abruptly sopped, and the fact that the letter from him to the dad in the secret compartment was ripped up... that Oscar sexually abused the dad (who was his nephew). Something along those lines. He gave away the pharmacy because he felt bad for what he did, and as a result of living in his house by himself for a long time that was why he was lonely. This is my own speculation based on the information in the letter found in the basement safe.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By eskimo

Yeah it's starting to make more sense now.

The house is referred to as the psycho house, I'm assuming that Oscar was the psycho because of the reasons you mentioned. People would tell their kids ghost stories because sometimes the truth is too hard to handle. He probably turned to drugs after the event and gave away the pharmacy to get rid of the bad memories and try to attone for his sins.

Crid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I interpreted it in a different way. I assumed that he had attempted to come out to his sister (and maybe the whole family), but she just couldn't accept it and wouldn't allow her son near him after that. I suspect that if Terrence had been abused, he would have just sold the house and taken the money rather than moving there with his family.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

Where does the game suggest something about sexual abuse? I must have missed something...

Avatar image for sterlingericsson
    SterlingEricsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where does the game suggest something about sexual abuse? I must have missed something...

I think the following linked article covers it rather well. I see no other reason why Oscar would make sure to sell his pharmacy (which he had more or less turned into a soda/ice cream shop by giving out ice cream to little kids) and say that he did so to remove the "temptations".

http://clockworkworlds.com/post/58411117679/the-transgression-you-can-do-better

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@crid said:

I interpreted it in a different way. I assumed that he had attempted to come out to his sister (and maybe the whole family), but she just couldn't accept it and wouldn't allow her son near him after that. I suspect that if Terrence had been abused, he would have just sold the house and taken the money rather than moving there with his family.

I'm pretty sure this is it, neighbours tell stories some of them turn into ghost stories. Also with the amount of secret rooms its no wonder people thought Oscar was weird. Great red herring though, that hasn't been done in a while.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game and missed all of that backstory. I would have flipped my shit if I paid 20 bucks for this game. Not that it was bad, just...not 20 buchs worth

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@bunnymud said:

I just finished the game and missed all of that backstory. I would have flipped my shit if I paid 20 bucks for this game. Not that it was bad, just...not 20 buchs worth

I disagree, I regret only paying 10 dollars for it and wish I assumed better of the game and its developers. At least I bought it directly from their site instead of steam, which gives them a bigger cut

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bunnymud said:

This is a tricky one. I payed 20 bucks, and honestly, I would have payed double that. The thing is, this is not a video game. This is not fucking Pac-Man. This could be classified as an experience, a piece of interactive storytelling... and I have no idea how to price that.

Avatar image for rhys_rowlands_39
    rhys_rowlands_39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i picked from this is that he was perhaps addicted to morphine which would explained why he sold the pharmacy to distance him self away from his habit.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What i picked from this is that he was perhaps addicted to morphine which would explained why he sold the pharmacy to distance him self away from his habit.

Oscar's timeline from what I could tell: Abuses the dad as a kid, gets cut off by the family, feels bad, leaves everything to the dad, commits suicide via morphine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.