The Price You Pay and Gone Home

• 68 results
#51 Edited by Gregalor (60 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@gregalor said:

@rebgav said:

For $20 you could get all of the A Song of Ice and Fire series to date in paperback.

So, how's the storytelling in Gone Home?

Yeah, well, for $40 you could get that AND Gone Home. Do we really need to compare the value of everything?

It's a thread questioning the price of the game and the value on offer.

Motherfucking facepalm emote.

Yes, so let's stick to discussing that in isolation rather than saying, "But you can get these books for the same price!" It's a ridiculous comparison.

#53 Edited by Gregalor (60 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@gregalor said:

@rebgav said:

@gregalor said:

@rebgav said:

For $20 you could get all of the A Song of Ice and Fire series to date in paperback.

So, how's the storytelling in Gone Home?

Yeah, well, for $40 you could get that AND Gone Home. Do we really need to compare the value of everything?

It's a thread questioning the price of the game and the value on offer.

Motherfucking facepalm emote.

Yes, so let's stick to discussing that in isolation rather than saying, "But you can get these books for the same price!" It's a ridiculous comparison.

Oh, shut the fuck up.

So what you're saying is you have no rebuttal, and instead decided to make a civil reply uncivil. Cool, bro.

The argument I'm questioning is essentially like saying, "Pizza is a horrible deal. Have you SEEN how much dried white rice you can get for the same amount?" So you can get thousands of pages of some books for $20. Okay, so what? Art shouldn't be judged based on how much time it steals from your life.

#54 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

It's overpriced at 20. It would be overpriced at 10. It was a bad business move. But I guess their research said otherwise. I'm much less interested in the Fullbright Company going forward.

#55 Edited by RoyaleWifCheese (559 posts) -

I disagree. The way I felt at the end of Gone Home was worth way more than twenty dollars to me. Compared to those sixty dollar games that, indeed, are longer but don't incite those feelings, Gone Home is a fucking bargain.

#56 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

If you're coming to video games for an emotional feelings per dollar ratio then I humbly suggest you look to film, music or books instead.

#57 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

no, you're absolutely right. It's overpriced or what it is. That's if you consider what else is out there that's between say $0 and $10. Gone Home feels like about a $5 game, being a little generous.

It's pretty bare-bones as far as mechanics. Asset-wise though it's put together into one cohesive whole. Which is fortunate, because it's basically a first-person asset explorer.

edit: not to be overly negative about it - I think it could be pretty cool with a different story, setting, music, and with some (hopefully) mildly interesting game mechanics added in.

#58 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I don't get why people are getting so worked up about the price. Nobody is forcing you to pay twenty bucks for the game. Either wait for a Steam sale or don't play it.

#59 Posted by coribald (314 posts) -

I once paid £50 for a 7" record with one song on it. Value is subjective.

My advice would be, don't buy stuff unless it's on sale. Your perception of value is obviously tied to how many minutes of gameplay you can get out of a game, and if that's your bag, then change your buying habits. It isn't the games fault.

As someone who paid $50 for a 1 track CD (wasn't even a good track, it was a bad radio edit), I totally agree. If it's overpriced for you, then that's fine, but myself and apparently many others value the unique and special experience a game like this gives you, and if the devs decided that's what they wanted to charge, that's fine - many are willing to invest that much in this kind of experience.

Also, it's an indie game with great reviews - wait a month and it will already have been on sale on Steam, GOG, or in a humble bundle.

#60 Edited by eskimo (481 posts) -

I think the price just represents the cost of production. The modelling, licensed music and VA are pretty quality for a small dev team and must have cost a lot. I doubt the devs would be price gouging on their first game.

#61 Edited by Gregalor (60 posts) -

@sdharrison said:

If you're coming to video games for an emotional feelings per dollar ratio then I humbly suggest you look to film, music or books instead.

Fortunately, teams like Fullbright are trying to change that. Why the defeatist tone?

#62 Posted by Zeik (2755 posts) -

It honestly kind of boggles my mind that after a whole generation of overpriced $60 games this is the game that has gotten people up in arms over value vs cost.

#63 Edited by Gregalor (60 posts) -

@zeik said:

It honestly kind of boggles my mind that after a whole generation of overpriced $60 games this is the game that has gotten people up in arms over value vs cost.

I spent 4 hours with the game. So a $60 game with the same dollar/hour ratio would be 12 hours. Wait a second... that's like, the length of an average game!

#64 Edited by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

I bought it after arguing with myself about the price. I'll advise not buying it if you're in this mindset. Was left thinking "is that it?". I don't know what I was expecting but with all the talk about it, it was certainly more. Didn't really grab me at all.

#65 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1288 posts) -

Hah! Exactly.

I don't really understand either extreme side of this discussion. Obviously time spent isn't anywhere close to being the only factor when deciding what entertainment product, piece of art or other luxury good I'll buy. But it's certainly worth considering for anyone with limited financial ressources and lot's of other crucial money sinks. It's a little funny how the mature, empathetic art-indie-elite suddenly becomes exceptionally ignorant when asked to empathize with the financial dilemmas of the non-filthy-rich 'plebs'.

As for the game: The exploration does look very pleasant and compelling but I'm not sure if the story actually goes anywhere meaningful. Since the art game lovers have hyped far too many games I consider rather mediocre I'm not willing to pay 20 bucks to find out if this is different at the moment. I'll probably get it at some point. Somehow Gone Home's setting grabs me more than something like Dear Esther. Hopefully this'll actually be as strong as people claim and all the hype wasn't just about the game having a gay love story in it. (My speculation about one of the major plots but I don't actually know).

#66 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

Before I bought the game I thought that $20 is kinda asking too much for a three hour game (give or take) but after playing it, all I can say is I enjoyed it a lot and will be looking forward to Fullbright's next project.

#67 Edited by Lyisa (390 posts) -

Art games aren't for people who value $20. Art games tend to be made for people who value their time more than their money.

That being said, if the story is meaningful enough and I feel like the interactions are worthwhile, $20 seems fine to me. I'm just not sure I would get that out of the game.

#68 Posted by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

The thing is - for me at least - I'm fine paying $20 for a game that'll be on my top 10 GOTY list. In that context, I don't really give a fat shit what Fez cost when it came out. Had I not liked the game it'd be a different story - hell, I was furious having paid $7 for Thirty Flights of Loving - but by the end credits of Gone Home, the price was the last thing one my mind.

#69 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

Kinda of a like mind, which is why I'm not buying it till the inevitable sales. I do want to see it but I can think of literally no reason not to wait.

@lyisa said:

Art games aren't for people who value $20. Art games tend to be made for people who value their time more than their money.

People "doing it for the art" tend to want everyone they can to see there thing, often undercharging or just giving things away. So, in a sense, maybe yes, but that doesn't mean it makes sense that this was more expensive than journey or bastion. When put next to those, frankly, the idea of picking this up at current price sounds more and more like crazy talk. What everyone values is gonna be different, though.

#70 Edited by Winsord (1300 posts) -

I don't think there is much of a right or wrong regarding issue of cost in this case. When Gone Home came out I watched a bit of the Quick Look, got an idea of what it was, and decided that $20 would be too much for me to spend on it. If I don't connect with the story and atmosphere for whatever reason, whether it be I was born 10 years 'too late' or I just don't find it very interesting, then there's nothing else there to feel redeeming of my purchase. Even if I did enjoy it, would I enjoy it enough to justify the $20 when there are so many games in my backlog and so many other experiences at that price point or even lower? Probably not. So I didn't buy it. I mean, that's just simple consumer research before buying any product, making sure it's worth the cost to you before you buy in. I know in 4 months or so it'll show up for $10 or less on Steam, and maybe in a year or two a Humble Bundle, so I'll just wait for it then.

There's the other part of it though, where even if you feel your purchase was justified, is it not still possible that you're "overpaying"? It was something in your original post that I feel like a lot of the comments have ignored, and that was your comparison to Journey. So many people were quick to jump to, "so you're just looking at it in dollars to time", but why would you draw a comparison to Journey and Papers, Please in which the latter are preferable if that was true?

Without having played either Journey or Gone Home, Journey manages to give me the perception that it has so much more going on than Gone Home. I guess what I'm getting at here is not that Journey is necessarily better somehow, but its perceived value to me is higher because of all the things it has going on. It manages to make its experience seem to grandiose without being a long game, but rather through its art, environments and online functionality, while Gone Home feels much more confined while being similar in length, and it has a higher price. It seems that grandiose feeling would be entirely antithetical to what Gone Home is trying to make as an experience, but it ends up seeming much smaller in scope and cost. I don't know how much either game ended up costing to make, and I don't really care, but Journey manages to give the perception to me that its costs match its price and Gone Home doesn't.

This ends up circling back around to personal value again. I look at what other games I could get at that same price, and have a hard time saying Gone Home is of equal value to Minecraft (console version), considering they both cost $20. It's personal opinion, and there ends up not being a right answer because of the term "overpriced". Even if I think Gone Home's set price is disproportionately high to the amount of money I would think that game would cost to make, value in art is ultimately subjective and somebody else would value Minecraft at $2 and Gone Home at $60.

The proportional argument of budget to price isn't really one you'd make in other mediums. You wouldn't look at the production values of a Neutral Milk Hotel album, compare them to the production costs of a U2 album and say, "Obviously the U2 album is a steal at $10 because it cost so much to make, but NMH's album is priced the same and had hardly any budget, so it's overpriced". Unless you want to make an argument that its budget doesn't line up with its price tag, I don't really feel it makes sense to say it's overpriced as a blanket statement. You're not wrong to feel you overpaid for a product, but it's weird to me how fixated you are on it considering you should've known what it was going in.

This post is too long and probably doesn't make much sense. Ugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.