Half Life Movie who do you see playing Gordan Freeman?

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Sedarati (53 posts) -

what do you reckon people...

#2 Posted by TRiPPY (9 posts) -

Personally if anything the entire movie should be in first-person,without any voice acting,else it kind of destroys the point Valve tried to make in their games.So in my opinion the studios local janitor should play the role of the flying hands with crowbar :D.(evil discussion ruiner)

#3 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

in a way i agree with you trippy but i dont think any movie at all would do the half life series justice.

but if i had to choose i would go with russle crow. I have no real reason, i just think it would be funny

#4 Posted by toxicEnchiliada (330 posts) -

I'm kinda leaning towards Edward Norton

#5 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

Samuel L. Jackson. Im tired of these mutha******* headcrabs on these mutha******* zombies!

#6 Posted by Womble (56 posts) -
toxicEnchiliada said:
"I'm kinda leaning towards Edward Norton"

Yeah, he'd be pretty good as Freeman.

Though if they were to make a film, the one to play him should not have any lines at all.
#7 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Video game movies are a sin
But if I must choose, Ben Stiller
I'm sure that would at least make a good internet meme

#8 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

the guy that plays House, hes the spitting image of him

#9 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

having someone play freeman without messing up the character would be extremely difficult. Especially since Gordon doesn't talk/ o wait yeah he talked once. Also the story is extremely complicated, I don't see how this could work, unless they modernize the characters and make them more cinema friendly.

#10 Posted by kainen (53 posts) -

I like the dude that plays House M.D.   Can't think of his name but with glasses on he's a dead ringer.  Supposed to be a pretty good actor too although I don't watch the show.

#11 Posted by Squizzle (12 posts) -

Rivers Cuomo. The lead singer from Weezer.

#12 Posted by p0tet (48 posts) -
xplodedd said:
"having someone play freeman without messing up the character would be extremely difficult. Especially since Gordon doesn't talk/ o wait yeah he talked once. Also the story is extremely complicated, I don't see how this could work, unless they modernize the characters and make them more cinema friendly.
"

"o wait yeah he talked once" - when?

#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Edward Norton is the only choice i can think off that is both a good actor and a strong likeness to the character of Dr Gordon Freeman.

#14 Posted by BennytheDroid (24 posts) -

I think the difficulty in framing Gordon Freeman in a movie setting is why Valve has allegedly received so many pitches for a half life movie and rejected them all.  Any traditional movie portraying Freeman would feel totally incompatible with the spirit of the games; the very nature of HL breaks from cinema in so many deliberate ways.  I think the best bet for a Half Life movie would be post Episode 3 and starring a new protagonist.  A parallel-running story set in the universe similar to split-offs like Blue Shift.  Prequels would be slick as well.

#15 Posted by hazzard4123 (196 posts) -

I think Dakota Fanning would be an awesome choice for freeman

#16 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -
kainen said:
"I like the dude that plays House M.D.   Can't think of his name but with glasses on he's a dead ringer.  Supposed to be a pretty good actor too although I don't watch the show.
"
Hugh Laurie is his name, and I guess he'd be good at it. If he can act, Giant Bomb intern Josh is the best lookalike I can think of.
#17 Posted by DarkPants (67 posts) -

If Robert Downey Jr. slapped on the freeman goatee, I think he could pull it off.

#18 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

[img]http://www.blogography.com/photos19/RobertDowneyJrZodiac.jpg[/img]

#19 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I don't care who plays Gordon Freeman. But Morgan Freeman must be in the movie, somehow.

#20 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

Robert Downey Jr, Ed Norton, or Ryan Gosling would play him good

#21 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

You know what? No one!!! OK that wouldn't be really possible unless the whole movie was in first person, right? Exactly. ;)

Seriously, I think it could totally be an FPS movie, we see how well it did with [s]Doom[/s] Cloverfield!

#22 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
Joker said:
"Samuel L. Jackson. Im tired of these mutha******* headcrabs on these mutha******* zombies!
"
LOL Thats Rich!
#23 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

Gary Oldmen would be my first choice. Then Hugh Laurie.

#24 Posted by Skyler (59 posts) -

There doesn't need to be a Half-Life movie.

#25 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Robert Downey Jr, Ed Norton, and 10 years ago Charlie Scheen(just look at him in The Arrival.)

#26 Posted by KEITH1437 (276 posts) -

Hugh Laurie maybe. But I don't want a Half Life movie because games don't usually translate into movies very well.

#27 Posted by stAtic (1638 posts) -

Please, no Half-Life movie. How would that work without ruining everything?

#28 Posted by monkeyman864 (77 posts) -

morgan freeman lol!!!!!!!!!!??????????

#29 Posted by Josh (61 posts) -

Only Hugh Laurie is right for this role. His American accent would be perfect for Gordon's voice, and he looks just like him!

Of course, the far more important thing to consider is that there should never be a Half-Life movie. Ever.

#30 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
Josh said:
"Only Hugh Laurie is right for this role. His American accent would be perfect for Gordon's voice, and he looks just like him!

Of course, the far more important thing to consider is that there should never be a Half-Life movie. Ever.
"
I don't know, the story of Half Life 1 would make a really good movie I think. 
#31 Posted by Volkodlak (115 posts) -

No one, a Half Life movie would be a travesty, the games do an excellent job of conveying the story; if they insisted on making one though I'd also say it'd have to be Ed Norton.

#32 Posted by RVonE (4623 posts) -

Ed Norton hands down.

#33 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Edward Norton, all the way. He can look geeky and cool at the same time, a feat only Gordon can pull off.

#34 Posted by Nick (659 posts) -
#35 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

No, a movie would be a bad idea. I don't think any movie based on a video game has done the game justice, and I'm afraid the same thing would happen to Half Life. Also the main character doesn't talk, that kinda defeats the purpose of having someone play him.

#36 Posted by chr1s (15 posts) -
caption
#37 Posted by Artimisticus (49 posts) -
toxicEnchiliada said:
"I'm kinda leaning towards Edward Norton"
Agree
#38 Edited by Irishjohn (581 posts) -
Snipzor said:
"I don't care who plays Gordon Freeman. But Morgan Freeman must be in the movie, somehow."

Morgan Freeman should just play Gordon Freeman.  Make the whole thing a postmodern joke.  A Half-Life movie would probably stink, as the Bioshock movie inevitably will.  The Half-Life universe and story would be extremely difficult to get across in a film less than three hours long.
#39 Posted by Littledave (5 posts) -

Edward Norton or Christian Bale for me, although I'm sceptical that anyone could do half life series justice, i think the games say it all.

#40 Posted by Sklar (1 posts) -

I think Jessica Alba would be an amazing Freeman.

#41 Posted by Helmetz (65 posts) -
Snipzor said:
"I don't care who plays Gordon Freeman. But Morgan Freeman must be in the movie, somehow."
Agreed!!!
#42 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Morgan Freeman would be Eli Vance. As for Freeman... I don't know, but whoever it is, they shouldn't let him speak in the entire movie. That would be awesome.

#43 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

Please no half life movie. Unless it would be really good.

#44 Posted by FengShuiGod (1480 posts) -

Johnny Depp certainly has the looks. Just check this out:

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2008/04/01-07/johnny_depp1_300_400.jpg

IMO, that looks exactly like Gordon Freeman.

#45 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

Vin Diesel fo sho.

#46 Posted by AbStr4cT (7 posts) -

umm, richard geer? lol

#47 Posted by Soulless (143 posts) -

Gordan Freeman isn't real!? D:

#48 Posted by Ants (14 posts) -

I think Matthew Good could be a pretty good match.

#49 Posted by Khyzath (11 posts) -

Edward Norton

#50 Edited by s10129107 (1182 posts) -

Gordon freeman=Robert Downy Junior
Eli Vance = Morgan Freeman
Alex Vance=Halle Berry or Jessica Alba

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.