Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gotham City Impostors

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Freelance vigilantes in superhero garb take on psychopathic criminals wearing clown makeup in this (now free-to-play) Batman-themed multiplayer first-person shooter.

Gotham City Impostors out today (EU). Anyone getting it?

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

So, yeah, pretty much what the title says. Played the "Beta" for a few hours the other day and enjoyed it enough to give it a go. Only thing i'm worried about is will there be anybody to play against/with?

Sneeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sneeze

Uhm well, I just bought it for the 360 - So I really hope so ;)

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

People tend to move on from these games pretty fast, especially XBLA/PSN games. I wouldn't bet on their being much of an active community in a few months, but the Batman license might help.

The fiendish amount of DLC has clearly put a lot of people off though, that might be the death of the game right there.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Unless they've drastically changed it from the beta I won't even get near it.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moody_yeti

Im going to get it,when it finally surfaces on PSN. :S

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zaglis

. @WinterSnowblind said:

The fiendish amount of DLC has clearly put a lot of people off though, that might be the death of the game right there.

Gears 3 weapon skin scam just got beaten by a mile.
    renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By renmckormack

Rainbow Fake Batman IceTea Skinz - Like us on Facebook@zaglis said:

. @WinterSnowblind said:

Gears 3 weapon skin scam just got beaten by a mile.
    bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By bibamatt

Have I missed something crazy about the DLC? What's everyone upset about? From what I read, it seems that it's all unlockable through playing the game. But it's also available to purchase if you just want it straight away. Isn't it all cosmetic?

Also, the Gears weapon skins were definitely just cosmetic. There was literally no reason to buy them unless you wanted to show off. I think that was fine. If people really want to spend a little (less than the price of a pint) on a pink lancer, then more fool them. Happy for it to keep funding games I like.

EDIT: Ouch, just released they're SELLING XP boosts. Like, a dollar for a couple of hours of 2 x XP? That's shady.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I wasn't interested in it and their hideous DLC plans didn't help either.

15 US Dollars for the game is just fine, but selling XP boosts for real money is a shitty move.

And if you were to buy all the day one DLC (not including any XP boosts) it would cost you a whooping 220 US Dollars!

That. Is. Crazy!

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By willin

Been playing the game for about an hour and I can safetly say that it was the most fun I've had in awhile. It takes my favorite things from Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2 then wraps it up in a delightfully twisted version of the Batman universe. I LOVE the traversal gadgets. It so much fun hookshoting behind someone for the flank or one-hit divebombing from across the map. I don't know how the community will take it but it's a really fun game and that's enough for me to keep playing. Hopefully it will be this week's TNT.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freakin9

It's cheap, so that's something, but it seemed like a odd idea for a game when it was announced and I'm still a little confused by it. I guess the idea of playing as someone pretending to be joker or batman is appealing to someone. I'm not sure if the process to unlock stuff is fun or not, or just grueling.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By bibamatt

@freakin9 said:

I'm not sure if the process to unlock stuff is fun or not, or just grueling.

The unlocking process is probably what will make me love the game if it's right. If all 105 of those DLC things are unlockable in the game, that makes me excited. However, if the process is dull or gruelling, I'm out. Will wait for some reviews/trial time!

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WMWA

I read a lot of glowing previews for it, but I'm still unsure what this game really is like. I'm really interested in this game but I can't bring myself to buy it unless they release a demo. (wasn't able to get into the beta) Hopefully GB will put a quick look up sometime soon as well

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Well I recently added some more points to my account, but I think I'm going to take a quick look at the trial before I commit. I'm really on the fence about this, particularly because of the multiplayer only aspect. I guess I'll edit this post when I get home and try the demo (or not, because of the Darkness II extra stuff needing to be finished) and give you the final word.

EDIT: So I kind of liked it so far I was looking for a not-cod cod multiplayer game to play, and this helps. I really like their goofy style, and the weapons and abilities feel pretty solid. I'm definitely thinking of buying it.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Well the UK store has been up dated and it looks like a try before you buy deal which is good. Hope to see some of you guys around.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WMWA
    @Ninja_Welshman I'll try it when I get out of lecture. If I buy, I'd be down to play together.
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazielCuts

I played in the beta but the few times I tried to get a game hardly anyone was playing, I fear this might be the case with the actual release. As is the way with most console FPS's if you're not Call of Duty. The ideas seemed cool though, Team Fortress esque.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

No, the beta thing was awful. I'm undecided if I am impressed or disgusted by the amount of DLC there is in the store. theres like 30 or 40 bits.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Nadafinga

I thought the beta was fun, and for $15 seems to have a lot of depth to the unlockables and customization. I started downloading it this morning so it will be ready to go when I get home from work. Looking forward to it.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Anyone else having problem unlocking the full game? (UK PSN)

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TJ311

I bought this game and am having a great time with it. Some of the unlocking stuff can get confusing, but the gameplay is addicting like a Call of Duty game.

Also, anyone who is upset about all the DLC stuff is stupid. It is all cosmetic stuff, no XP boosts and is all OPTIONAL. Anyone who is upset knows nothing.

Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Consaw

@TJ311: When I went to check out the "fiendish" DLC, I was expecting some massively overpowered gun that you can only get via micro-transaction, but all I saw was a couple card backgrounds, mascots and double XP time. Nothing to really get bent out of shape over.

Otherwise I am really enjoying the gameplay.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TJ311

@Consaw: exactly, people are over complaining on the internet agin for something that is optional, go figure.

F3dtmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By F3dtmule

I played the demo andthe game looked like an OK TF2-style shooter. I prefer less comedy in my shooters though, so I'll go with something more 'serious'.

I also got a little PO'ed by all the legal junk and the way they begged me to buy the full game (IF YOU UNLOCK THE FULL GAME NOW, YOU GET TO KEEP THIS!). Not very pleasant.

I'll pass.

P00zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By P00zombie

Woo. I'm snagging this as soon as I'm outta work.

GT: poozombie
    If anyone is looking for a teammate.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By demarcon

@GunstarRed said:

No, the beta thing was awful. I'm undecided if I am impressed or disgusted by the amount of DLC there is in the store. theres like 30 or 40 bits.

It looks to me like there is over 100 pieces of DLC.

It's super fucking annoying to try to look through new release add-ons and seeing pages and pages of DLC for the same shit game. How does that shit get allowed? What an absolute joke.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tallTuck94

it wont even let me buy it, for some reason only the trial appears on english psn

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BPRJCTX

@WinterSnowblind said:

People tend to move on from these games pretty fast, especially XBLA/PSN games. I wouldn't bet on their being much of an active community in a few months, but the Batman license might help.

Yeah, i know basically nothing about the game, i've only seen one trailer, but the premisse sounds good, and it has a good developer.

But going on Xbox live and seeing more than a hundred pieces of dlc, at first i thought it was a free to play game, but then i read online that you can unlock most of it in the game, by playing it, or you could buy it with real money instead.

But, i don't know, i'm downloading it right now, i'll try it, but being an XBL/PSN multiplayer game, i don't know.

I'm not a big fan of competive multiplayer right off the bat, and being an XBL/PSN multiplayer game, i think ppl will move on and get back to their battlefields abnd CODs pretty fast.

We'll see.

Gonna try it in a few minutes.

UPDATE: Got it. It's Awesome!!!

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nadafinga

I'm really digging the game. They have obviously taken a lot of cues from CoD and the like, with the way the progression works and the customizable classes, but so far there's a lot of depth with the different classes & unlockables, and it seems pretty balanced. This is absolutely worth $15.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By 234r2we232

@Xtrminatr said:

@GunstarRed said:

It looks to me like there is over 100 pieces of DLC.

It's super fucking annoying to try to look through new release add-ons and seeing pages and pages of DLC for the same shit game. How does that shit get allowed? What an absolute joke.

As opposed to whatever shit game you were looking for add-ons for?

The game is shockingly awesome. The pay-for-unlocks DLC thing is really unfortunate, as it really doesn't impact the gameplay what so ever - I'm surprised they couldn't figure out a way to hide it from appearing in the Recently Added feed. With that said, all you have to do is not buy the DLC and you'll have a heck of a game to keep you entertained.

With this said, I checked in the trial version and the only thing in there that could come across as offensive is that only half the Mascots can be unlocked, while the rest have to be paid for. Stinky, but they outright tell you in the menus that Mascots (like the other DLC unlocks) don't have any impact to the gameplay, so yeah... still no worse than buying a Gamer Picture or Avatar clothing.

I think what I love the most about the game is it's style. It's like a really well designed fan project come to life. Also happens to be tons of fun to play :) I wish they could have given us beta people something to say thanks.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

So I spent all afternoon on this and I love it. Great style, funny as shit and loads of customisation. Can't wait to play more!!

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakonovski

Got it on Steam, played a match last night. Looking forward to wasting my evening on it.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Fallen189

Nobody is making you buy the dlc

dibdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dibdab

Downloaded the game on 360 today. So far game seams good. A nice break from battlefield 3. finding matches hasn't been the best but I will see how it is this evening.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By demarcon

@Fallen189 said:

Nobody is making you buy the dlc

It's not the fact that you can either buy or unlock almost anything, it's the fact that they littered the marketplace with over 100 pieces of content in one day. They could have just released 4 or so separate coin packs to buy a set amount of coins to just unlock what you want. It's the same thing with Rock Band and Yoostar (or whatever those terrible movie scene games are), I want to be able to look and see what DLC came out for what games, not that each song has a demo version that is listed separately. Granted it's Microsoft's fault too, but knowing how the console stores work you think they would have thought about that a little more.

Also, a lot of people probably won't buy this game seeing that there is over $300 of launch day DLC rather than seeing that "oh hey I can just buy a pack of 100 coins for $1". I bought the game yesterday to play during TNT, but it really does not excuse the stupidity in their marketing department to release such a massive wave of separate DLC items at launch.

Myomoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Myomoto

I've sunk about 4 hours into this now, and have had a lot of fun when I've actually been able to get into games. There's supposedly coming a big patch in March that will be focused on fixing the fucked up matchmaking, as well as adding more content (1 new map, some weapons, a new perk, more clothes, etc.). Hopefully the game isn't a complete ghost town by that point.

stalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stalis

Stupid question here, any clue how/if I can turn on toggle-aim on PC, now its click right mouse button and its stuck aiming..?

F3dtmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By F3dtmule

You can argue that I'm not forced to buy the DLC, but when they actively try to trick you into doing it, then it's not fun anymore.

If you play the demo and quit, then you have to sit through some slides of what an AWESOME game you're missing out on. You press A to go to the next slide. By that time, you just want to get out and you mash A again and again. And then, magically, on the last slide, Pressing A suddenly changes into 'Unlock the full game'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.