24 Hour Online Nürburgring Charity Run - Any Takers?

• 143 results
#1 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

TOP EDIT:   We doing this for real, think of stuff to do while the idiots race for 24 hours!  Try to get the entire GB community involved! 

We can only take 8 from each site, so GT-Planet users are already debating on who is going to do it.  If we are over 8 users, we need to do a lottery or something to figure out who will be racing. 

Also, we dropped GameSpot.  >.>  No hard feelings, it's just hard to do 3 teams with 16 user limit.  >.>

GT-Planet Thread  

Some of the rules being talked about:   

Date 

• More Than Likely First or Second Weekend in January
  • Friday-Saturday more likely than Saturday-Sunday

Car Regulations 
  • 400-700 BHP of Your Choice
  • Untuned Super GT
  • NO F1
  • NO Super Cars Similar to F1

Competitive Rules - Only Temporary, and Will Change Over Time 

Lap Are Voided Under the Following 
  • Crashing
  • Bumping Into Another Driver
  • Cutting Corners
  • Idling in First Gear

Allowed Breaks 
  • Every FOUR (4) Hours, all users MUST pull over and take a 20 minute break to do whatever.  You are free to masturbate, eat, shit, pee, etc...and this is the ONLY time you are allowed to take off the headset and be away from Vent.
  • Pit-Stops, during Pit-Stops you will get about 30 seconds to 2 minutes of break, during this time you are free to do whatever you want.  Pit-Stops are yours to do, just keep in mind you lose a lap by doing this.

Vent Checks 
  • To prevent users from giving the controller/wheel to a buddy, all users are allowed to challenge another user for a voice check.  if the user can't respond within 10 seconds, 5 laps will be taken off that user's end total.
  • If a user is idling in first gear for longer than 5 minutes, he will lose 5 laps off his total lap count.   This must be challenged by another user or must be noticed by one of the spectators.

Scoring System 

• Total Team Lap - After adding up the totals of each team member, and taking away all penalties...divide by the amount of users on that team.  The team with the highest lap count wins the Total Team Lap.
  • Fastest Lap - The First to Tenth place users with the fastest lap are given 10 points to 1 point, the team with the highest combined fastest lap wins the fastest lap.    

Current Users Willing to Take Part 

Giant Bomb Users

GT-Planet Users  (ONLY 8 WILL BE JOINING)
#2 Posted by MB (13083 posts) -

I don't have time for that. 

#3 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

I would watch and pay a dollar per lap if there was nudity and dancing. Make it happen and you've got yourself a charity marathon!

#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@BunkerBuster: ...well now I need drivers willing to take part.   

@MB: Why not drive as long as you can, and then leave...you'd still be helping out.  :D
#5 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Hmm I am down!

#6 Posted by Trace (3576 posts) -

If you're serious about doing this, you might consider some sort of Desert Bus For Hope-esque system, where the more people donate, the more laps you'll run. You could also guarantee 24 hours as a minimum if donations don't surpass that threshold, and if you get a surprising amount of donations, drive longer. I've entertained (but never acted upon) the thought of a "Le Mans Death Race" that's very much in the same vein, so if you consider going down this road and want potential suggestions for dollar amounts, growth predictions, or whatever, I'd be glad to offer my thoughts.

You might also want to consider not just focusing on the driving. I'm sure some people out there wouldn't mind watching a car constantly circle Nurburgring Nordschleife and nothing more, but most people will want to see or hear other antics alongside the driving. At the very least, watching one or more drivers slowly lose their sanity at the wheel through a camera pointed at the driver would increase viewer enjoyment. Gives people a somewhat maligned reason to donate.

It's not something I could participate in, but aces if you can pull it off.

#7 Posted by Surkov (990 posts) -

I would give it a try if I wasn't stuck at lvl 23.  
Still grinding....

#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Surkov:  Level has nothing to do with it.  Just join the lobby, and race!   

@PsEG: Damn, that's a good idea.  I had plans of having an audio stream of me playing at the same time, but we could add people to commentate and to ask us trivial while we drive.  If we get it right, people chip in 50 cents or something.   You could commentate and whatnot too!   OR!  We could have Forza and GT going on at the same time with 16 drivers each, and we could toss questions around and whatnot. 

WE NEED TO DO THIS!  WE NEED 32 PEOPLE TO LOSE THEIR SANITY FOR CHARITY!
#9 Posted by Khann (2913 posts) -

While I'm always a fan of things for charity, I don't think you really understand the gravity of driving for 24 hours.

#10 Posted by Jeust (10853 posts) -

While you're at it, why not post in other forums, and unite gamers from everywhere to your idea. It could be awesome!

#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Khann said:
" While I'm always a fan of things for charity, I don't think you really understand the gravity of driving for 24 hours. "
People have done 24 hours on Nurburgring before, be it in teams or solo...we can do this.  We are completely safe from physical danger, and can't be affected by the Gs.  How hard can it be, GT5 even has an event dedicated to it.  :D 

@Jeust: That's a good idea, now time to make an alt on GameSpot, and start to join up other forums.
#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Provided that it's on a suitable day for me I think I'm good with this. My connection and the power at my house isn't 100% reliable so I *might* get disconnected at least once but I'll be happy to do this for charity.
#13 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: Just join back in if you DC!  That's the one thing I like about GT5's Private Lobby, we can just free-run for 24 hours and have Host Migration if someone DCs.    

Now onto the quest of rallying each online community for this event.  We shall call ourselves, the Fellowship of Nurburgring.
#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Oh cool then, that's makes things better for me. It's stupid, ambitious and incredibly dumb but I think that's a perfect reason why I'm excited for this (that is assuming that I actually have the chance to do it). For the time being put my name up for this.
#15 Posted by Trace (3576 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I had plans of having an audio stream of me playing at the same time, but we could add people to commentate and to ask us trivial while we drive.  If we get it right, people chip in 50 cents or something.   You could commentate and whatnot too!   OR!  We could have Forza and GT going on at the same time with 16 drivers each, and we could toss questions around and whatnot.  WE NEED TO DO THIS!  WE NEED 32 PEOPLE TO LOSE THEIR SANITY FOR CHARITY! "
As much as I'd enjoy finding a way to do 24 hours of Forza 3, I think the beauty of an endurance run like this would require a proper day-to-night cycle, and the only two games I know of that pull that off well enough are Test Drive: Le Mans for the DC/PS2 and Gran Turismo 5. You need those unnerving night hours, along with the vision problems dusk and dawn bring about. That'd do a nice job keeping people watching, too.

The commentary idea's pretty good, too, as is the idea of trivia challenges for donations. The only PC headset I have is half-busted (speakers go out depending on the wire's orientation), but if you decide to go that route when this goes down and need commentators, I might be able to join in depending on the circumstances.
#16 Posted by heatDrive88 (2398 posts) -

Do people actually raise money from these sorts of things? I never fully understood the whole concept of endurance gaming for charity.

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6397 posts) -

You know what's crazy? I think I might actually watch something like this.  

God, I have a problem. 

#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@PsEG: We're thinking about doing the voice chatting on Vent to save the GT5 server bandwith, so you can totally do that! 

@heatDrive88: Yes they do.  Destructoid raised loads on a couple hours of SMB!   

Updated with the thread on GameSpot now, I think it's really happening.
#19 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Updated with the thread on GameSpot now, I think it's really happening. "
I'm with you all the way.. Reading through those original threads just got me that much more pumped to do this
#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Alright, the biggest issue is the date.   

Anyone here prefer Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday, and which week should it be done?

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

any more detail on this? i might be interested in this. i'm only level 10 so there aren't a lot of cars that i have. so how long are pit stops and things?

#22 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@iam3green: So far the plan is a Friday-Saturday, and it will be holiday break or post-Christmas. 

Depending on how many sites are willing to do it, it will be divided by 16.  So if there's 2 sites, GB gets 8 and GT-Planet gets 8.  If we get 4, each site gets 4 drivers. 

• It will be a private lobby so others can't get in, but the lobby can hold 16 racers and 24 spectators.  
  • All drivers will be on Vent and not PSN for chatting.
  • Certain Spectators will be streaming it, but we gotta figure out bandwidth.
  • The Vent gets a main room, and then each site will get their own Sub-Room, in which the drivers from those sites will be in there for random site promotions and whatnot.  
  • Trivia will be asked for the drivers.
  • If possible, trying to get all the drivers to also put up a webcam to see them change over time.

Debating on if someone dies, people should donate a few grands.  >.>
#23 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

You're all crazy.

#24 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

I would love to try this out, but I have never gone over 6-hours in a row in a race without suffering some dizziness and a pounding headache. So I am sorry that I can not participate in this affair.  

Sounds interesting, and if this is being streamed online, I would love to watch it, however n_n

#25 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @eroticfishcake:  the Fellowship of Nurburgring. "
urgh ffs really?  

I mean...really?  

TBH I actually wouldn't mind this, I think you are all mad, but that's kind of a good thing maybe. 

I just don't think I'll be able to steal my tv away from my flatmates for 24 hours, I can't even get a solid hour when they are awake. 

my tv...can't use my tv..
#26 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I have to say, this is a wonderful idea. I'd love to take part, but unfortunately I can't. I don't have a Playstation 3 or Gran Turismo 5. If I had both though, I think I could really be up for doing this. Unfortunately the problems I have mean I wouldn't be able to partake, and Forza Motorsport 3's online does not allow you to reconnect if you drop out. I want to do something for charity, but unfortunately, I don't think this will be what I do. Unless another event is held in the future and I get a PS3 beforehand I shall not be joining you. It'd be weird to see people at the start and end of the endurance run though, because I can imagine it would really take its toll on you. 

#27 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @iam3green: So far the plan is a Friday-Saturday, and it will be holiday break or post-Christmas. 

Depending on how many sites are willing to do it, it will be divided by 16.  So if there's 2 sites, GB gets 8 and GT-Planet gets 8.  If we get 4, each site gets 4 drivers. 

• It will be a private lobby so others can't get in, but the lobby can hold 16 racers and 24 spectators.  
  • All drivers will be on Vent and not PSN for chatting.
  • Certain Spectators will be streaming it, but we gotta figure out bandwidth.
  • The Vent gets a main room, and then each site will get their own Sub-Room, in which the drivers from those sites will be in there for random site promotions and whatnot.  
  • Trivia will be asked for the drivers.
  • If possible, trying to get all the drivers to also put up a webcam to see them change over time.

Debating on if someone dies, people should donate a few grands.  >.>
"

You cant die from playing a fucking racing game
#28 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Believe me, if I had Gran Turismo 5 and if this was like on a Saturday I would totally do it

#29 Posted by AlexW00d (6430 posts) -
@Fallen189: It was clearly a joke.
#30 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" @Fallen189: It was clearly a joke. "
From him, he probably believes it
#31 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1501 posts) -

You're all clearly insane, and I love it.
#32 Edited by mmm11105 (5 posts) -

Reposted from my GTPlanet Account

We shoud have one spectator (can GT5 have spectators?) broadcast it (would need to buy a video box, like a Pinnacle Dazzle ), then stream the conversation from the ventrillo sever in. I'd be willing to help with technical components. That way there is one central stream for people to watch, no worrying about webcams. Other sites could have their own spectators/vent servers too focusing on their people.

If we attract more than 16 participants, we should have multiple races w/ different classes

-Race Cars
-Sports
-Small Cars (Hatchbacks, cheap cars)
-2CV, 360, and Original Fiat 500 (The Slow Class)

#33 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I could probably do it for 4 hours at most so count me out. Probably spectate at some point, good luck at making this happen.

#34 Edited by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -

Some really great support from GTPlanet which is unsurprising but fantastic nonetheless. I haven't used Vent before so I'll get around it getting it later. Also, if I do this race would it also cover my in-game race event? I'll still do this of course regardless of that but I was just curious since it could really save me time if that were the case.

#35 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Anyone willing to help out with the planning? 

Some of the GT-Planet users are talking about the penalties and whatnot, spectators, bandwidth, etc...

#36 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Depending on whether or not I have work I would probably be up for it. I'm not sure if I could do ALL 24 hours but I have already played some long races with a friend and could take a fair stab at it. Im pretty sure my bandwidth is not good enough to stream though.

#37 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I could do this, but I don't have GT5. I could try to get it until later in the break, what date are we looking at? If it's around 28th or so I could see myself doing this. Not the most skilled driver but marathon gaming is my shit.

#38 Posted by Jeust (10853 posts) -
@KaosAngel: You could also put a list of all players nicknames. It would be cool to see who's participating. :p
#39 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

I want to do this. It sounds awesome.

I just need enough time to book off work, and if necessary, any social interaction for the following day.

#40 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jack268: @extremeradical:  

I think we're going to drop GameSpot and keep it a GT-Planet and Giant Bomb event, the list of users wanting to do it is more than anyone else expected...so it will be a 8v8 race.  We're trying to keep it into a lobby, and from the looks of it...it will be the first week of January-ish.   

Trying to do it before Christmas, but the logistics of setting it up in a week is absurd.  >.> 

Okay, if you are honestly interested in doing the full 24 and have Vent, post your PSN.  We can only have 8 at the most, so if we get more...we'll decide from there who will be doing it. 

@Jeust: Noted!  Going to lurk back the thread, and see who is doing what and editing the post.
#41 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  

PSN ID is Axolotl950  

I'm pretty serious about wanting to do this. Sounds fun.
#42 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Even though I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to join, my PSN is Jack268 just in case. What version of vent will we be using?
#43 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jack268: ...no idea yet, I guess the normal one gamers use.  I only have one kind.  >.> 

Some of the rules being talked about: 

Lap Are Voided Under the Following 
  • Crashing
  • Bumping Into Another Driver
  • Cutting Corners
  • Idling in First Gear

Allowed Breaks 
  • Every FOUR (4) Hours, all users MUST pull over and take a 20 minute break to do whatever.  You are free to masturbate, eat, shit, pee, etc...and this is the ONLY time you are allowed to take off the headset and be away from Vent.
  • Pit-Stops, during Pit-Stops you will get about 30 seconds to 2 minutes of break, during this time you are free to do whatever you want.  Pit-Stops are yours to do, just keep in mind you lose a lap by doing this.

Vent Checks 
  • To prevent users from giving the controller/wheel to a buddy, all users are allowed to challenge another user for a voice check.  if the user can't respond within 10 seconds, 5 laps will be taken off that user's end total.
  • If a user is idling in first gear for longer than 5 minutes, he will lose 5 laps off his total lap count.   This must be challenged by another user or must be noticed by one of the spectators.

Scoring System 

• Total Team Lap - After adding up the totals of each team member, and taking away all penalties...divide by the amount of users on that team.  The team with the highest lap count wins the Total Team Lap.
  • Fastest Lap - The First to Tenth place users with the fastest lap are given 10 points to 1 point, the team with the highest combined fastest lap wins the fastest lap.

#44 Posted by Jeust (10853 posts) -
@KaosAngel: You could also supply the list from GT-Planet and Gamespot. So we could see all the contestants to the charity trial. :p 
#45 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jeust: GT-Planet doesn't know yet, there's over 12 already, but I shall look through and find the users who were willing! 

We dropped GameSpot too, it would be too crowed.  -.-
#46 Posted by Jeust (10853 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Jeust: GT-Planet doesn't know yet, there's over 12 already, but I shall look through and find the users who were willing! We dropped GameSpot too, it would be too crowed.  -.- "
ok! Good luck! If you need to discuss anything, I'll be here. ^^
#47 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jeust: Sweet thanks man!  I owe you!   

Also added every user on GT-Planet with proper profile link.  -.-
#48 Posted by ZombiePie (5746 posts) -

There's no way I'm participating in this but I'll let out a yelp to see if I can get some more attention for this event.

#49 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

To be honest I'd rather just give the money straight to charity, it would probably be cheaper and greener with all the electricity I would save plus I would be free to do whatever I wanted (masturbate furiously) for 24 hours.

#50 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

how are you raising money for charity again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.