Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

At least "some" standard cars will be upgraded to premium

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

According to this link which references an interview by Kaz with Famitsu, some standard model cars will be upgraded to premium in future updates. I don't know what "some" would equate to in numbers, but there are around 800 standard model cars in GT5. What cars would you want to get the premium treatment? I would like some of the race cars and Le Mans prototypes to get upgraded. Good news all around, some of the standard cars really stand out (not in a good way).

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88
    @FrankCanada97: They could probably upgrade a lot of the duplicates - for example, the seven million skylines aren't hugely different from one another, so they could upgrade a lot of standards like that. Same for the Nissan Silvias, and Imprezas and Evos. I'd like the RUF models premium-ised.
    Avatar image for heylookitsamber
    heylookitsamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By heylookitsamber

No one is even going to drive all those cars, who cares that most of them do not have cockpit views. Just pick one that has one and go race the same lap for an hour. That game is so boring. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @heylookitsamber: Was that last sentence necessary? It just made it look like you came in here to start something.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

At the very least I'm glad it sounds like they'll keep supporting the game post-release. Maybe I'll pick it up in a month or two.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

I want a premium Berlinette. I spent so much time driving that car, and it looks ugly as hell.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy

This was one of my biggest gripes with the game - hopefully they will follow through. Too bad they can't patch the main reason I got rid of it... the grind.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @xyzygy said:
    " This was one of my biggest gripes with the game - hopefully they will follow through.
    ...and hopefully they'll be free updates.
    moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By moelarrycurly

Bugatti Veyron 

That is all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

I've been spending so much time behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi GTO that I wouldn't mind if it were given the premium treatment.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lutonhatter
    @ProfessorEss:

I can't help but feel if premium upgrades were cheap DLC and the money made covered the development costs involved it would be a great way for them to be able to justify the cost of expanding their premium car modeling team. Sure there are not a lot of cars which would attract large enough downloads, the Veyron is a good example. But people buy all sorts of useless crap these days, it has to be better value for money than buying a costume for sackboy etc.

And when GT6 comes along there would be a lot more premium cars without taking too much development time away from improving the game.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By p_p_o_d

they should just outsource some chinese design house that pays works $1 a day to remodel all the standerd cars for GT6.      sure they all might not be as good as the models PD make but just lable them "standerd" again.        

It will never happen since PD want to do everything in house but hey once they redo the veyron Ill be happy.    

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Is this going to be free, or are they going to be charging for this? 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By xMP44x

To be honest, I'm mildly surprised that the Bugatti Veyron isn't premium. It is one of the cars I assumed was guaranteed to receive the 'premium' treatment right off the bat. Apparently not. I don't own Gran Turismo 5 myself, but I'd imagine they will try to make one premium model fit multiple cars to the best possible degree - several Skyline R34 variants which are much the same could probably use the same premium model, if slightly enhanced or tweaked.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By PufferFiz
    @LutonHatter said:
    " @ProfessorEss:

I can't help but feel if premium upgrades were cheap DLC and the money made covered the development costs involved it would be a great way for them to be able to justify the cost of expanding their premium car modeling team. Sure there are not a lot of cars which would attract large enough downloads, the Veyron is a good example. But people buy all sorts of useless crap these days, it has to be better value for money than buying a costume for sackboy etc.

And when GT6 comes along there would be a lot more premium cars without taking too much development time away from improving the game.

"
    they already made back all their money .
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @xMP44x said:
    " To be honest, I'm mildly surprised that the Bugatti Veyron isn't premium. It is one of the cars I assumed was guaranteed to receive the 'premium' treatment right off the bat. Apparently not. I don't own Gran Turismo 5 myself, but I'd imagine they will try to make one premium model fit multiple cars to the best possible degree - several Skyline R34 variants which are much the same could probably use the same premium model, if slightly enhanced or tweaked. "
    They would do the Skyline thing regardless, Kaz has an unhealthy obsession with them.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @xMP44x said:
    " To be honest, I'm mildly surprised that the Bugatti Veyron isn't premium. It is one of the cars I assumed was guaranteed to receive the 'premium' treatment right off the bat. Apparently not. I don't own Gran Turismo 5 myself, but I'd imagine they will try to make one premium model fit multiple cars to the best possible degree - several Skyline R34 variants which are much the same could probably use the same premium model, if slightly enhanced or tweaked. "
    The Veyron drives like ass, and there isn't any straights long enough to hit the top speed in the game. PD is stupidly detailed about each model. Like the Silvia Aero S15 '02 is premium, but the Silvia Verietta S15 '00 is not. So with how demanding PD is about what they call worthy of premium, they will never knock out several Skylines with one model. 
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By yakov456
    @heylookitsamber People who are into cars/racing care. Your post on the other hand, I find extremely boring.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @heylookitsamber:  Who said you could troll GT5?

Its something best left to...

No Caption Provided
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i want every game to be premium. they are graphicly better in some parts. i don't care about cock pit view, i enjoy seeing my entire car when i race. the current premium is 200 but that still is a lot of cars. i don't think anyone is going to have all of those cars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.