Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Damage does not get "unlocked" at higher levels

• 63 results
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cyborgmatt

Sony has since clarified to IGN how damage works in the game. "Damage occurs to cars right from the beginning," Sony said in a statement, "it is not "unlocked."  

Confusion seems to have stemmed from its differing implementation across the game's extensive garage, a point that Sony further clarified. "Standard models have minor deformation and scratches," said Sony, "Premium cars have greater visible level of damage, and Premium racing models have the highest level of damage."   

Source:  http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137446p1.html
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By aurahack

That's fuckin' stupid. 

Like, ... argh. I want to defend Polyphony, Sony and GT so bad but how the shit do you spend six years developing a game and only have a "selection" of cars be able to deform and actually look good?

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By tobygw

I've been wondering this about Tony Hawk Ride. I've put 500 hundred hours into it, and I'm still waiting to unlock the good gameplay. Must be comin any day now...

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

That's already been debunked on GT-Planet as false.  Either they messed something up in that statement or it's mistaken. 

Even Kazu stated that a future patch will come that allows arcade mode to have the full damage that's seen at higher levels, and countless people on GT-Planet and NeoGAF have said level 20 is when the damage and physics start to change and become more realistic.   

EDIT:  Kazu's Twitter said that damage will progressively become more realistic every 5 levels after 20.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benpack

Either way they should've probably made it more clear in the game.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:
    " That's already been debunked on GT-Planet as false.  Either they messed something up in that statement or it's mistaken.  Even Kazu stated that a future patch will come that allows arcade mode to have the full damage that's seen at higher levels, and countless people on GT-Planet and NeoGAF have said level 20 is when the damage and physics start to change and become more realistic.    EDIT:  Kazu's Twitter said that damage will progressively become more realistic every 5 levels after 20. "
    It's an official press release from Sony, how can that be debunked, the reason people think the damage gets better at higher levels is because the higher levels consist of race cars which have more damage compared to the other cars.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cyborgmatt: Kazu has stated clearly many times that the damage unlocks at higher levels, there have been videos since a week before launch of the damage difference of level 1 and level 20.   

Sony got this one wrong, when both Kazu and NeoGAF are saying something completely different.
    MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill:  Such a fail troll attempt man.

As for the story, that whole situation seems ridiculous. I can understand why damage would not be unlocked in arcade mode, but the fact that people have to unlock something they advertised as a major selling point? And on top of that, the fact that you even have to unlock it isn't made even slightly clear? Since when do game sites have to go around contradicting each other about the way a game progresses, the way a game works. Is Sony just sitting back like "Well we could write a press release explaining something that obviously affected reviews of the game...or we could roll up a blunt with one of these thousand dollar bills we got after the Move sales...yeah I like option 2, fuck work."

In addition, I'm not trolling or anything, but seriously what the fuck is up with this game. What, 6, 7 years? And this is what they come up with? Great, a fraction of the cars look really, really good when they get beat up and the rest are actually classified as a lower tier of graphical quality. What a ridiculous product. I would suggest that perhaps they released it as a money grab, milkin the ol' GT cash cow, but who knows maybe Polyphony just sucks at making well rounded games.
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Cyborgmatt: Kazu has stated clearly many times that the damage unlocks at higher levels, there have been videos since a week before launch of the damage difference of level 1 and level 20.    Sony got this one wrong, when both Kazu and NeoGAF are saying something completely different. "

I highly doubt Sony are wrong, for starters this is a clarification on what they original said, you don't clarify on something for no reason. 

GAF is full of fanboys, so of course they're going to defend against anything that makes their game look bad, why do you think this dumb unlock rumour started in the first place.  

The only thing Kazu has said is that they're adding mechanical damage in a later patch, so if anything, that backs up/reinforces what Sony is saying tbh.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

This is level 40 damage, you CAN NOT even try to damage your car like this in the first 20 levels.  This has also been uploaded a week before launch on GT-Planet and Kazu said on his twitter that damage gets progressively worse as you play more.  Everyone on GT-Planet and NeoGAF have been stating for weeks before the game launched that damage starts to unlock once you get the extreme class, they've also had the game since early Nov.

Go load up GT5 with a new save data and wreck your car like this at level 1.  You can't.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

It's gotta be unlocked because the damage at low levels is extremely minor.  It doesn't fit with user movies and pics of the higher amounts of damage.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @tobygw said:
    " I've been wondering this about Tony Hawk Ride. I've put 500 hundred hours into it, and I'm still waiting to unlock the good gameplay. Must be comin any day now... "
    Wow that's like 50,000 hours! Dude, you should take a break from that game. Playing a game for nearly 6 years straight is unhealthy.
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By tobygw
    @RollingZeppelin: Dont go dem dang telllin me det da tony hawk ried makes me brain slower
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

KaosAngel is right. Sony is mistaken. I also have the game, and there is a clear difference in damage between level 1 and level 20. And it has nothing to do with the cars selected.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @KaosAngel said:

"

This is level 40 damage, you CAN NOT even try to damage your car like this in the first 20 levels.  This has also been uploaded a week before launch on GT-Planet and Kazu said on his twitter that damage gets progressively worse as you play more.  Everyone on GT-Planet and NeoGAF have been stating for weeks before the game launched that damage starts to unlock once you get the extreme class, they've also had the game since early Nov. Go load up GT5 with a new save data and wreck your car like this at level 1.  You can't. "
    The guy who originally made that video has already updated the description to say that he was level 6 when he made it. 

The rally cars have more damage, its like I said above, the reason people think its down to higher level is because of the cars you drive when you get there.  

Edit: This is the original  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XINuNcmXfLI&feature=player_embedded 

Also:  http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132933&page=46#post4205839 

Sorry for my bad english,use the google translator... 

I did not think was seen by so 'many people and I thought it was understood that I was at level 40! 

I was at level 6 in arcade mode!    

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @tobygw: K, sorry :(.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cyborgmatt: No he didn't, I just checked and that video is the original video. 

Everyone who owns the game and has hit level 20 knows that damage changes, if you haven't played the game then you have no idea.  Sony got this wrong, everyone who owns the game and has been playing it knows it.  Go wreck a car before level 20, and barely anything happens.   

When Kazu himself states this, you know Sony is wrong.

There's a reason why Kazu stated that arcade mode would get a full damage patch, because people were bitching non-stop about having to unlock it and it took too much time.

If you played GT5 you would know why damage has to be unlocked, as it costs far too much money to fix it and one wrong turn can ruin your entire GT Mode career for a long time.   

Either you are trolling or a complete moron right now.  
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cyborgmatt

Look at the dates on both videos. You'll realise who the moron is then tbh. 

Also I own and play GT5, do you even own it? 

Like I said, fanboys get upset. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cyborgmatt said:

" Also I own and play GT5, "

Take of a video of you wrecking your car in a single crash going over 100 mph, while ripping the bummer off and/or the doors and the hood.  Do it, and show your level.   

Should be easy right?  Go into GT Mode and do it.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Cyborgmatt: Maybe you should play the game and see for yourself. 
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OllyOxenFree

The plot thickens...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Red12b

shit be trollin' yo!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Enigma777

Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid to lock out damage levels in the first place? Honestly, what was the reasoning behind that?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @OllyOxenFree said:

" The plot thickens... "

Dude I know. I want to see where this ends up.
    Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Reizarvg
    @Enigma777: 
    I'm confused by that as well. There's no reason whatsoever why it couldn't be an option when you're setting the driver assists and other difficulty stuff. The game seems full of really weird decisions and design features like this.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Binman88
    @Reizarvg said:
    " @Enigma777:  The game seems full of really weird decisions and design features like this. "
    Like what?
    lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lutonhatter
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid to lock out damage levels in the first place? Honestly, what was the reasoning behind that? "

Well, I only assume because it very difficult not to crash, specially  when you don't know a track too well. So the keep the damage stuff till the point you are going to know most of the breaking points etc. and can afford to repair you cars. It seems like a sensible descion just a shame it can't but turned on/off for practice or arcade or something just to see it.

My experence is that damage is not unlocked as such, it is always there just your car becomes more susceptible to damage as you rank and there is a big jump at level 20 and at that point it becomes persistent. As I have damaged one of my cars (minor deformation on a standard car) at around level 12ish but it was gone after the race.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Binman88
    @LutonHatter said:
    "My experence is that damage is not unlocked as such, it is always there just your car becomes more susceptible to damage as you rank and there is a big jump at level 20 and at that point it becomes persistent. As I have damaged one of my cars (minor deformation on a standard car) at around level 12ish but it was gone after the race.
    "
    Same with me. There was minor damage from the start which started getting progressively more severe at later levels.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gargantuan

Can you restart races in GT5? If you can then I don't understand why you have to unlock damage. I almost always restart until I have a clean race in most racing games.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Binman88
    @Gargantuan said:
    " Can you restart races in GT5? If you can then I don't understand why you have to unlock damage. I almost always restart until I have a clean race in most racing games. "
    I can't speak for the Extreme events, but you are able to restart Beginner, Amateur, Professional, and Expert races unless you're competing in a series of races for a championship event where you're battling for points with the other drivers.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Bouke

I think PD should have just made it an option; visual damage; moderate damage and realistic damage or something. The level thing is not the best option, i want to be able to wreck my car from the start.
    lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lutonhatter
    @Gargantuan said:
    " Can you restart races in GT5? If you can then I don't understand why you have to unlock damage. I almost always restart until I have a clean race in most racing games. "
    Well my understanding is, I've not made level 20 yet, that once you 'unlock' damage at level 20 if you damage your car then restart you will be restarting will your damaged car. @KaosAngel , sound like you have reached lvl 20? could you confirm?
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I want a stunning conclusion, dammit!

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rockdalf
    @OllyOxenFree: It looks like this pretty much sums it up to me.

I do understand the people here wanting to justify their purchase and say it ain't so though.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Marz

why does damage have to be unlocked again?  kinda seems dumb, should be something passive that's there from the start.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Binman88
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @OllyOxenFree: I do understand the people here wanting to justify their purchase and say it ain't so though. "
    I think the whole part of the game where you race cars around tracks more than justifies the purchase for most people here! ;) I don't need bits of my car falling off to enjoy the game!
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jace
    @Cyborgmatt: 

Trying to argue with Kaos about something to do with GT5? You poor, poor man.

Kaos, Kaz, and NeoGAF are the correct ones. I'm almost level 12 and damage is basically non-existent. But, like everyone has been saying, I've seen videos of damage from levels 20 and up and it is drastically different. You should give this one up. Before you try to say "Don't believe everything you read", try not to restate to us all what Sony has obviously mistakenly said. Besides, you shouldn't believe everything you read, right?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By TheHBK

Let's just agree to disagree.  And agree on the fact that damage getting unlocked is fucking retarded.  Who thought that was a good idea?  Oh, they are not ready for damage.  Man fuck you.  You spent 80 billion dollars on this game and you tell me that you can only detail a few cars?  And that you recycle shit from the PS2? What the fuck man!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @TheHBK said:

" Let's just agree to disagree.  And agree on the fact that damage getting unlocked is fucking retarded.  Who thought that was a good idea?  Oh, they are not ready for damage.  Man fuck you.  You spent 80 billion dollars on this game and you tell me that you can only detail a few cars?  And that you recycle shit from the PS2? What the fuck man! "

You know what's even more retarded - the confusion surrounding it.
    I mean seriously, how can this be so hard to figure out?

And furthermore, how hard is it for Sony/Poly to recognize the confusion and come out and straight up clarify this for everyone?
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Raymayne
    @KaosAngel said:
    " That's already been debunked on GT-Planet as false. "
     Because dumb fanboy sites > Official development studio statements
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @Raymayne said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
     Because dumb fanboy sites > Official development studio statements "
    It's funny how you say that in sarcasm when it's usually true, the fans always figure out way more things about the games they like than what the devs are willing to admit.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy

The fact that there is even a debate about when damage unlocks is bullshit. This should have just been an option.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Raymayne
    @KaosAngel said:
     Because dumb fanboy sites > Official development studio statements
    Kazu said it too smart ass.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By handlas

only way to settle this is....

someone quit their job/school and get to level 20 immediately.  Pick the cheapest, crappiest "premium" car ingame and then wreck the sh*t out of it.  Please.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I'm still awaiting OP's retort. My body is ready.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xyzygy

I'm level 13 and have yet to see any real damage. If it's supposed to unlock slowly from level 5 to 20 as Kaos said, I'm not seeing it -_-

Maybe it is SUPPOSED to work like that but the damage system doesn't work that well in the game? 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jkz
    @xyzygy said:
    "

I'm level 13 and have yet to see any real damage. If it's supposed to unlock slowly from level 5 to 20 as Kaos said, I'm not seeing it -_-

Maybe it is SUPPOSED to work like that but the damage system doesn't work that well in the game? 

"
    I believe the idea is that he claimed that it unlocks slowly every 5 levels after level 20.
    Haizeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Haizeus

I'm level 19 at the moment and playing right now. I'm quite interested to see whether or not the damage will be ramped up. I'll post a video (off screen unfortunately) of the differences if any are noticed.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By weltal

I'd imagine this is Sony trying to spin things to be postitive. So while damage doesn't "Unlock" it does become meaningful.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ryax
    @Cyborgmatt: are you trying to win a gran turismo argument with kaosangel? good luck

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.