Elevator Muzac, Light Jazz - WHY!?

#1 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Who's idea was it to play Smooth Jazz and low-tempo elevator muzac as the menu music in Gran Turismo 5? Didn't anyone think it might be a bad idea to have such low energy music in their high intensity racing game?  The actual racing music isn't that much better either, its just so soulless.
So at least for me I'm going to play this game on mute for 90 hours.  
 
What about you guys are you enjoying / hating the music?

#2 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

Most people I know turn the BGM off to save ram...

 

awesome ae?

 

GT games have always had that style of music though, with some exceptions  
, Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian...

 

   

#3 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

It's the GT way :) 
 
Always has been really.

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The music in the game (not just the jazz) is really dire.  But this is the least of the games problems, it's pretty easy to turn off what you don't like and/or add your own BGM's.  Infact, there's even a trophy for doing this  :)

#5 Posted by NorseDudeTR (428 posts) -

It's supposed to have that music! What, are you surprised when that boom- song comes on at football games too?

#6 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@NorseDudeTR said:

" It's supposed to have that music! What, are you surprised when that boom- song comes on at football games too? "

Here comes the boom fits a sport where people are getting pummeled nonstop for 2-3 hours.  Stylistically, what about light jazz fits racing sports cars or being a mechanic? 
 
@BunkerBuster said:
" Who's idea was it to play Smooth Jazz and low-tempo elevator muzac as the menu music in Gran Turismo 5? Didn't anyone think it might be a bad idea to have such low energy music in their high intensity racing game?  The actual racing music isn't that much better either, its just so soulless. "
Compared to the "soulful" techno trance pop rock of Forza?
#7 Posted by NorseDudeTR (428 posts) -
@sickVisionz I get your point, but it'd be infinitely worse to have to listen to some awful edgy rock stuff while tinkering with your cars.
#8 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -
@sickVisionz said: 
@BunkerBuster said:
" Who's idea was it to play Smooth Jazz and low-tempo elevator muzac as the menu music in Gran Turismo 5? Didn't anyone think it might be a bad idea to have such low energy music in their high intensity racing game?  The actual racing music isn't that much better either, its just so soulless. "
Compared to the "soulful" techno trance pop rock of Forza? "
I don't see how any of this has anything to do with Forza? Gran Turismo's music is boring, plain and simple.  
Maybe it would be better with Techno-Trance-Pop-Rock, i'll try that later..
#9 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

Sorry, I enjoy the sounds of racing, music gets turned off once on the track. As for the menu stuff, ever play a GT before?

#10 Posted by Binman88 (3691 posts) -

I always turn off music in any racing game during a race, but I really like the GT menu music. Then again, I'm not the type of person who needs their ears blasted off with some form of constant aural stimulation in order to keep my attention like some sort of hyper-active child.

#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

I see potential in DLC with menu & track music packs.
 
You know what the Stig has listened to, you know what you want to listen to.

#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

...jazzy piano has been in GT since the first one on PS1.  x.x

#13 Posted by LutonHatter (334 posts) -

Well it was what I expected, like most I end up turning off the BGM while racing and at least now with the larger selection and the chance to drop your own music in there is no worry of having the same dreadful effect from GT4 of building an irrational hatred to the sound of Feeder - Buck Rogers.


The menu music is perfect I think, there a few duff tracks but after concentrating intently driving and nice relaxing music while in the menus is sooooo' much better  than something loud and irritable. But then again I love a bit of Scott Joplin. The first time I went to change the oil of my car it put a big grin on my face.

#14 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

So there's no Daft Punk in the game ^_~

#15 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@mylifeforAiur said:
" So there's no Daft Punk in the game ^_~ "
You can put your own in it so it works out!  :P
#16 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@LutonHatter said:
"

Well it was what I expected, like most I end up turning off the BGM while racing and at least now with the larger selection and the chance to drop your own music in there is no worry of having the same dreadful effect from GT4 of building an irrational hatred to the sound of Feeder - Buck Rogers.


The menu music is perfect I think, there a few duff tracks but after concentrating intently driving and nice relaxing music while in the menus is sooooo' much better  than something loud and irritable. But then again I love a bit of Scott Joplin. The first time I went to change the oil of my car it put a big grin on my face.

"
Wasn't buck rogers Gt3?  
Oh no wait, that was 'Just a day' wasn't it ? 
 
*just realised every feeder song sounds the same* 
Fuck feeder
#17 Posted by IronScimitar (503 posts) -

OP would rather have EA TRAX.

#18 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2732 posts) -

I love it. I'm glad it's still there.

#19 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@CaLe said:
" I listen to podcasts while playing racing games. The car sounds are enough for me. "
...my first real life crash as a teen was due to falling asleep while listening to an audio book.  :|
#20 Posted by LazyPiranha (57 posts) -

The only music a racing game needs is the sweet symphony of engines.  Menu music might as well not exist for me, the only menu theme I can remember is MvC2, and that's because it's an aural form of brain cancer.  

#21 Posted by Karmann (622 posts) -

Music is one of the best things about the Gran Turismo series. One day, when you get what mature people call "taste", you will realize this as well.

#22 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@Karmann: Yep.
 
It's a core tenet of the series. What do people want? A bunch of shitty rock music that you'll get sick of within a couple of listens?
 
Goes to show how little some people know of the GT series. It's akin to picking up a Mario game and bitching about the colour of his hat.
#23 Posted by matthimself (49 posts) -

Its nice, feels like you are in a car lounge of some sorts. 

#24 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's the gt way. maybe they could have put some techno in there. it's something that are types in cars.

#25 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

GT music has always been the same. Also if Im not mistaken you can make custom soundtracks.

#26 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

Dirt 2 is the standard for me.  The music never really gets old when moving between menus, watching replays...

#27 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

It's Japanese logic for you, sure as hell doesn't make any sense to me but then again the huge number of delays on this game also boggle the mind as it looks like this might take GT Prologue & expand on it, not like they are really pushing things that much beyond what they've already done (adding tons of new gameplay elements, stunts, damage, etc.).

#28 Posted by RainVillain (482 posts) -

Lulz... I LOVE the jazzy soundtrack!

#29 Posted by delija (4 posts) -

it's easy enough to use your own playlists 
 
also i love the fact that they kept the light jazz for the menus

#30 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

It's a racing game, your pretty much EXPECTED to play your own music ;)

#31 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5403 posts) -

In a SIM GAME you want high intensity music?  Put in your own.

#32 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Who cares? Turn off the smooth jazz and/or load up a custom soundtrack. You should really look at the back of the box and flip through the manual on the can or something before you start complaining.

#33 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

I have to say; i'm not a big fan of the menu music; but i did hear London Elektricity during a race which was awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.