Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Endurance Races - does anyone even bother with them?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contrarian

I have put a lot of hours into GT5 and generally speaking, enjoy it. I have nearly 800 cars in the garage, so I have clearly played it a lot. However, I just decided to try out the Endurance Races. My initial feeling is, "who on earth does these?"

I am curious how many players have actually completed all of the races. More than that, I am curious if anyone has bothered to do them more than once, just because they really enjoyed it? I started the first one, but miscalculated with my car choice and after lagging in 3rd place at lap 5, I failed to see why I would bother with that for another 55 laps. I then completed the first race today with B-Spec. It was easy, I picked a car that would win easily (a Citreon sports concept) and then played Zelda whilst it raced itself. At 2hours, 15minutes, I won with 4 laps ahead of the pack.

Then I tried the 2nd race, Tsukaba for 4 hours (about 3 hoursd in now, I am still winning, but not by much). 4 HOURS? 4 hours of racing a small track in a Mazda MX-5? I am not sure I want to give up 4 hours of my life for a measly 50,000ish credits. This is a short race though. The later ones get longer. I assume the LeMans really goes for 24 hours. I will do them all with B-spec as it doesn't really cost me time, and I want the bonus car from it. It may take a fair bit of will power on my part to do them in A-spec.

What are the thoughts of other GT5 players?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

if i recall correctly, some GBers actually set up a race night where they had an endurance race. i'm not sure how that worked out though. it seems like it would be a disaster online.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its nice for the option to be there for those 'ARD enough to do it. 

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Contrarian

@AjayRaz said:

if i recall correctly, some GBers actually set up a race night where they had an endurance race. i'm not sure how that worked out though. it seems like it would be a disaster online.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep racing for that long, knowing all along that you would come last? Watching a Uwe Bolle movie is only slightly less painful than that. I enjoy car racing, but I just can't grasp the concept of those long races.

If however, they had a track that I might enjoy, it could be different. Not so much a track, but a cross-country run over a beautiful landscape. At least the changing scenery would keep your eyes open.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b

@Contrarian:

It's fucking bullshit I've done 2 endurance races with the X2010 just to see, The Indy 500 which took me nearly 2 hours and the Grand valley one

a total waste of time for crazy people to do if they are crazy...and seriously how did they not give you a shitload of XP if you did one of these things, in terms of money / XP per hours spent re-doing like the wind to grind gives you more than an endurance race

That's what disappoints me about GT, it's a fucking grind, thank god for online

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contrarian

@Red12b said:

@Contrarian:

It's fucking bullshit I've done 2 endurance races with the X2010 just to see, The Indy 500 which took me nearly 2 hours and the Grand valley one

a total waste of time for crazy people to do if they are crazy...and seriously how did they not give you a shitload of XP if you did one of these things, in terms of money / XP per hours spent re-doing like the wind to grind gives you more than an endurance race

They do pay a terrible return for the time put in. I just can't see myself doing a 9 hour race, let alone a 24 hour one. How is it even possible? Yu would need to leave the PS3 on for days with large pause times and do it a couple of hours a time. I want to complete all the races for the sake of it, but I struggle to see how I might do this.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By fazzle

Myself and a couple of friends would do the endurance races in GT3. We would race for half an hour to an hour each, and then just pass the controller off once we got bored.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Red12b

@Contrarian said:

@Red12b said:

@Contrarian:

They do pay a terrible return for the time put in. I just can't see myself doing a 9 hour race, let alone a 24 hour one. How is it even possible? Yu would need to leave the PS3 on for days with large pause times and do it a couple of hours a time. I want to complete all the races for the sake of it, but I struggle to see how I might do this.

...then don't, They have patched in mid race saving i think, so you can come back to it later,

Dude, you have no idea how much of a better game you are playing rather than the sort of broken one when it came out, all these patches are amazing in comparison to what it was shipped as...

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mosespippy

I did all the ones in GT3 twice because I 100% completed that game twice. Sometimes it's boring because of how easy it is and sometimes its fun because the field is pretty even; just like in real motorsport I guess. Last year's Le Mans race was won by 13 seconds while the year before was all Audi about halfway through.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

I will do them when they are the last things I need to do in order to get the platinum trophy.

I still have to get gold on all the license tests.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contrarian

@Devil240Z said:

I will do them when they are the last things I need to do in order to get the platinum trophy.

I completed the first 24 hour race in B-Spec and just set up the second. I won by about 300 laps I think .... not really a competition. I got a decent car for the win. By this time tomorrow, B-Spec will be complete. A-Spec may take me a lot longer, especially where I can't race the Vettel car - I am not that good at it, the NASCAR attempt was an abysmal failure (get spinning off the track). I got all the licenses, but not gold - I don't care that much, I just wanted to complete it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devil240Z

@Contrarian said:

@Devil240Z said:

I completed the first 24 hour race in B-Spec and just set up the second. I won by about 300 laps I think .... not really a competition. I got a decent car for the win. By this time tomorrow, B-Spec will be complete. A-Spec may take me a lot longer, especially where I can't race the Vettel car - I am not that good at it, the NASCAR attempt was an abysmal failure (get spinning off the track). I got all the licenses, but not gold - I don't care that much, I just wanted to complete it.

I fully intend to get the platinum trophy. I have been playing GT5 regularly since launch and am at around 50%. It may take some more years but its something I must do.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contrarian

@Devil240Z said:

@Contrarian said:

@Devil240Z said:

I fully intend to get the platinum trophy. I have been playing GT5 regularly since launch and am at around 50%. It may take some more years but its something I must do.

Not sure what percentage I have, but I only have about 3 Extreme and all of Endurance in A-Spec to go and it is completed, but not perfectly. I figured with some of the license tests, my best was so far from Silver, let alone Gold, it would only annoy me trying. I have played a real person online, so I may give that a try, but I will lose as I don't take it that seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.