Giant Bomb GT5 Race Night (Under New Management): Sat. 1pm PST

#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
For real this time

So we have another one of these threads. But this time, with permission from the original organizer, I have taken over the duties and decided to start with a clean sheet.

When?

The Giant Bomb Gran Turismo 5 Race Night will take place every Saturday at 1pm PST/PDT (It's night time some where), and lasts for however long people want it to last. If you don't know what time this is where you are, here's a handy time zone converter.

Want to join?

Just send a PSN friend request to FrankCanada97 and post in this thread so others can add you as well. I normally use the PS3 on weekends so don't worry if it is not accepted right away. There may be others depending on whoever decides to host that night. Once you are accepted, you go to the community section select my PSN and join via the lounge icon. GT5 lobbies support up to 16 players. Also join the PSN chat, I'll invite you into if you're on GT5 at the time of the Race Night.

What is this "Race Night" of which you speak of?

A race night is a simple gathering of Giant Bomb members inside a multiplayer racing game. Originated from PsEG's successful Forza Race Night, we hope to emulate their success within GT5's new online mode. Within GT5, we'll be doing a bunch of activities ranging from random races, organized championships and whatever else we can think of.

Race Night Regulars

These are the people you can most expect to show up on Race Nights:

PSN NameNotes
FrankCanada97You can expect me to be on every week barring some unforeseen circumstance. I drive fast, but I'm prone to mistakes when leading.
Binman-88Fast and consistent, a killer combination. You can expect him to be up front more often than not.
Black_Scotch-Red12b on the boards, known for his love of his Mitsubishi Legnum both in real life and in GT5.
GhorunAnother fast driver, prone to mistakes at random times.
eroticfishcake
BAZ1EL
StaticFalconarOur resident videographer, shows up every week. Produces the Race Night weekly video recap.
Pessh
slickjonesShows up every week, but is the unfortunate victim of poor internet connections
Devil240ZMaster of the drift, stylishly keep his car on the road.
LutonHatter
doejonathan
NoUseForANameNL
Little-3-momo
psyarchetype
gunharp

Yeah, the notes are empty for most part. But I'm too lazy to finish up, if you want your own personalized Note/Bio just post it here and I'll put it up.

GB GT5 Race Night Stats

Binman-88 has generously kept cumulative up-to-date stats in a handy Google docs spreadsheet. It keeps tracks of number of wins, average point totals, fast laps and gives a good idea of how people are doing week-to-week.

GB GT5 Race Stats

Final Notes

• I don't have a headset so in game I communicate solely with the text chat so bear with me
  • Newcomers are always welcome - skill level ranges between members
  • Doesn't matter if you are late - the lounge option gives you the ability to watch races in progress so you won't get bored
  • Right now there are no restrictions on cars - this will depend what we are doing for each race or tournament.
  • Have fun and race clean - unless the current activity demands unclean racing ie: cat and mouse
  • Check back on the first post as it will be updated with info on the current race night.
  • Have any questions? Post them below.
  • Suggestions on future Race Nights? Feel free to post below.

Results of the Last Race Night

Pickup Truck Racing

Position123456789101112
Points20161412108654321

Stat won won again through consistency, the Dodge Ram proved superior over the Toyota Tacoma.

Pos.PSN NameAutumn RingGrand Valley EastDeep ForestEifel KartLaguna SecaTsukubaTotal Pts.
1StaticFalconar202016161612100
2FrankCanada9716121220142094
3doejonathan14141412201690
4Black_Scotch-8162014101078
5gunharp10101010121466
6Little-3-momo12DNSDNSDNSDNSDNS12

Highlight Race(s) of Race Night

If you missed last week's Race Night, you can watch highlights from the past week's races. Kudos to StaticFalconar for taking the time to put up the videos!

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

w000t!  We might even get the endurance race figure out too!  5 p.m. sharp!  :D

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

I will endeavor to be on for this in my shitty ass civic since I have barely been able to play :'(

#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

I'm in, I'm not the greatest but I love the game. 

Frank do I still have you on PSN? I think I do, if not I'll add you again.

#5 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Race Night 1 Sat. Jan. 8th: KART World Series

Our first Race Night will feature a mini karting championship consisting of 5+ races of a number of laps. I will be keeping track of standings consisting of a points system that scores down to 12th place. This championship will emulate the glory days of AOWR with such tracks as Laguna Seca and Indianapolis. Plus we won't have our fun ruined by a certain egotistical xenophobe.

Position 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Points 20 16 14 12 10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1
 The starts will be a grid start with false start check with reverse grids determining starting position.

Like this, but with a "K"!

Afterwards we will be doing some random races including some tests for KaosAngel's charity endurance race.
#6 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

So we gonna use grown up karts like the caterham 7 or Formula Gran turismo? I love the idea of go karts but the lack of any sort of tweaking that could be done kinda turns me off. 

#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Does EXP work in private lounge or will we need to make an online game with a password?
#8 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@KaosAngel: I'm pretty sure you can get xp in private lounges.
@Bucketdeth: I think so I'll check later to make sure.
@StaticFalconar: go-karts for now since I assume everyone has one by now. Don't worry, we'll make use of those FGTs in the future.
#9 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: When we do F1, I'll have enough saved for the Ferrari one.  I don't like the GTF1, I think it has a lot to do with it being a standard model.  Oh man, later down the road we should try to get a full X1 Race event!  :D 

@FrankCanada97: The point system is brilliant!  I'm more excited for that over the casual stuff now!
#10 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @FrankCanada97: The point system is brilliant!  I'm more excited for that over the casual stuff now! "
Thank the real CART World Series for the points system. RIP, such a shame America chose NASCAR over something that was actually part of American history.
#11 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

cool beans, but...I have a fishing trip on sunday (NZ Time)... hmm, hopefully the weather will be shit...

#12 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Man, I always wanna do these but I sleep through 'em.. Hoping to catch the next one

#13 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

What do you think of this for our mini-karting championship?

Proposed Tracks

1.  Cote D'Azur - 4 laps
  2. Eiger Nordwand Short - 7 laps
  3. Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval - 5 laps
  4. Grand Valley East - 5 laps
  5. Suzuka Full - 2 laps
  6. Laguna Seca - 4 laps
#14 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i can't join this saturday but i am sure i can the other times.

#15 Posted by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

Its its at 1 I will be there. Have to leave for work around three or so though.

#16 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

No way of watching this I presume ):

#17 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
"  What do you think of this for our mini-karting championship?

Proposed Tracks

1.  Cote D'Azur - 4 laps
  2. Eiger Nordwand Short - 7 laps
  3. Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval - 5 laps
  4. Grand Valley East - 5 laps
  5. Suzuka Full - 2 laps
  6. Laguna Seca - 4 laps
"
sure,  
can we do Drift champs as well? 
#18 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Three hour warning.
@Red12b: Sure, although I don't know how one can judge who is the best.

#19 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Who's room we using?
#20 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Pessh: Mine, I'll be on a few minutes before 1pm PST for those early birds.
#21 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

I can join you guys but I won't be able to play for long I have to go out for supper.

#22 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Almost 1 hour to go.
@Bucketdeth: That's fine you'll probably stay long enough to finish the mini karting tourney.

#23 Posted by DokiDokiBawanga (52 posts) -

hi i would like to join in as well =)

#24 Edited by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

Ok here are my suggestions for events.  

• Race Modded Cappuccinos   
  • '89 Miata (unmodded except for suspension and drivetrain and Sports soft tires.)
  •  Race Modded Subaru STi vs Race Modded EVO
  • Super GT GT500

Thats all I got off the top. 

Also I totally won that one race.
#25 Edited by Pessh (2459 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:

" Ok here are my suggestions for events.  

• Race Modded Cappuccinos   
  • '89 Miata (unmodded except for suspension and drivetrain and Sports soft tires.)
  •  Race Modded Subaru STi vs Race Modded EVO
  • Super GT GT500
 Thats all I got off the top.  Also I totally won that one race. "
Haha no. He's got the replay anyway.
#26 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

Big thanks to Frank for coordinating tonight. Loads of fun buzzing around in karts! 

I'm down for whatever events people have in mind. I think it worked well as single straightforward tourney, so maybe picking one event and making a night out of it is the best way to go in the future? (rather than a handful of short events). Either way, I think it would be best people knew in advance so they could prepare a car for the event, so they're aren't left out.

#27 Posted by chilibean_3 (1642 posts) -

That was fun.  Thanks for organizing it, Frank.  

#28 Posted by Ghorun (101 posts) -

I say only the two first races need to count! :P

#29 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I couldn't make it, I was at the gym from 12-5, and then I had to get dinner with some people.  Sundays are easier, now that I think about it...at least for me.  :( 

I shall check out the racing!

#31 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Carting was fun, having spec races was pretty cool, with the one exception of the low top speed making many races be a fight to be second until the last corner so you can draft 1st right before the finish line.  

I'm really trying to think hard about a fair fun spec to race that isn't too high of a barrier of entry money wise. The only thing I can think of is GT300 or GT500 races where max HP is 300 or 500 the minimum weight is like 950 kg or so. You can make it production cars only rule or something if you think actual race cars are too high of a barrier.  

Either way no matter if you choose Super GT class or 1000 hp monsters, One thing should be established early, how many driving aids are you going to allow? go Karts of course had everything turned off by default, but there's like no way you can spin those tires anyway, Just something to think about if we do real cars in the future since we aren't all hardcore sim racers.  

btw, still waiting for the official karting winner this week.   

#32 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

Too bad I missed it, but this gives me time to get an actual garage going before next time. Can't wait to red through recap!

#33 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

it was good fun

#34 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Sorry I didn't make it, I had to go out for supper and I thought it would be 4:30 my time but was actually 5:30.

#35 Edited by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Binman88:

we should make that Race front Comfort Rear 4wd challenge a seminal thing
#36 Edited by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@ghorun:  
hey, I know it was an accident, but I found out that you knocked me off the indy track  

no hard feelings, but I HAVE PROOF!  
You're blue man, blue helmet, blue car,  
I am Black man, Grey helmet, Blue car

I was driving a clean racing line making a bit of distance from the lead car to make a slingshot pass due to drafting 
You were behind the pack drafting getting a lot of speed, trying to find space to move between a tight gap, you collected me but because you still had speed pulled to the left,

As you were counter steering I was trying to get back to the track, having lost a small amount of traction, easy as she goes, still on pace, with a shot of getting a good drafting position,  
You sling back due to oversteer and slam back into me, 

I get a massive hit from the right side and lose traction on the grass you start to slide but because of me as a buffer you are prevented from hitting the wall,  
I hit the wall instead on the slide in the grass

I watch as the man who ruined my race drives into the distance...

This was my second DNF 1st one was Monaco with a bad connection getting kicked from the server, I think I was vying for first with static or something, then I got kicked, then with this I was so far behind there was no feasible way for me to catch up 

Fuck Fuckity Fuckinson
#37 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" @Binman88:  we should make that Race front Comfort Rear 4wd challenge a seminal thing "
ha, definitely. That was mad. Think I need some more practice first though! 

I love this screenshot - it's so poignant. It was impossible not to get spun in a lot of those races. Either by people or by bumps in the road, I spun out at least 5 or 6 times in half-decent positions. I guess it all adds to the challenge, but it's damn annoying for sure.

Might be worth adding to this thread our discovery that, despite Kaos' earlier claims, you can't share your garage online for other people to use your cars. The menus in the lobby certainly imply that you can share "your" garage for an event, by choosing a car from your garage that everyone has to use, but it actually only lets you choose from the set list of "recommended" arcade cars, not your own. Either a grammatical/wording error or a feature they left out, or intend to patch in, who knows; either way, it can't be done yet unfortunately :(
#38 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Binman88:  
yeah it's a good shot
#39 Posted by Ghorun (101 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" @ghorun:  
hey, I know it was an accident, but I found out that you knocked me off the indy track  

no hard feelings, but I HAVE PROOF!  
You're blue man, blue helmet, blue car,  
I am Black man, Grey helmet, Blue car
It was never my intention, but I am sorry. :(

If it is any consolation I ended up on the grass later in the race in a similar situation, spun and ended last of those still in the race.
#40 Posted by onarum (2089 posts) -

awwww. I missed this god damn, any plans for another one?

#41 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

God damn, I keep forgetting how good GT5 can look.

#42 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Highlights of the first  Giant Bomb GT5 Race Night

Race Night finally gets underway at Cote D'Azur

Snow at Eiger Nordwand Short threw many people off

Flying start at Eiger

Battle for first takes off

One of many times Red got the short end of the stick

The Indy race got split into two packs with the leaders shown here

And the chase group here, not pictured is Red

No turn 1 mayhem here

Some drifting action at Suzuka

The infamous corkscrew at Laguna Seca

Championship Standings

The moment you've all been waiting for, I've reviewed the video from Indy and will explain further later on. As a reminder the points system is as followed:
Position 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Points 20 16 14 12 10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1

Race 1: Cote D'Azur

1.  Ghorun
  2. FrankCanada97
  3. Binman-88
  4. StaticFalconar
  5. chilibean_3
  6. BAZ1EL
  7. gargoyle_26
  8. Pessh
  9. Devil240Z
  10. Black_Scotch-

Race 2: Eiger Nordwand Short

1.  Ghorun
  2. gargoyle_26
  3. FrankCanada97
  4. Binman-88
  5. Black_Scotch-
  6. chilibean_3
  7. Pessh
  8. StaticFalconar
  9. BAZ1EL
  10. Devil240Z

Race 3: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval

This race resulted in a finish so close it broke timing and scoring. As a result the finishing order and winner was under dispute with the three racers involved: Devil240Z, Pessh and StaticFalconar scored as 1st, 2nd, 3rd respectively. Looking at timing, the order from fastest time is Pessh, StaticFalconar and Devil240Z. Having reviewed the replay and having the picture of the actual finish I can say conclusively that Pessh won the race with StaticFalconar in 2nd and Devil240Z in 3rd.

Pessh in all grey is first, Static in the red kart is second and Devil240Z in the red suit is third. The actual finish line is slightly ahead of the brick start/finish. If you squint carefully you can see the man on the grassy knoll responsible for Black_Scotch-'s crash.
  1. Pessh
  2. StaticFalconar
  3. Devil240Z
  4. FrankCanada97
  5. chilibean_3
  6. Binman-88
  7. BAZ1EL
  8. gargoyle_26
  9. Ghorun
  10. Black-Scotch-

Race 4: Grand Valley East

1. gargoyle_26
  2. StaticFalconar
  3. FrankCanada97
  4. Binman-88
  5. Devil240Z
  6. Black_Scotch-
  7. Ghorun
  8. chilibean_3
  9. BAZ1EL
  10. Pessh

Race 5: Suzuka Circuit Full

1. FrankCanada97
  2. StaticFalconar
  3. Binman-88
  4. gargoyle_26
  5. chilibean_3
  6. Black_Scotch-
  7. BAZ1EL
  8. Ghorun
  9. Devil240Z
  10. Pessh

Race 6: Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway

1.  gargoyle_26
  2. StaticFalconar
  3. FrankCanada97
  4. chilibean_3
  5. Ghorun
  6. Binman-88
  7. Pessh
  8. Black_Scotch-
  9. Devil240Z
       DNS. BAZ1EL

Final Standings

Pos. PSN Name
Cote D'Azur
Eiger
Indy
Grand Valley
Suzuka
Laguna Seca
Total
Pts.
1 FrankCanada97
2 StaticFalconar
3 gargoyle_26
4 Binman-88
5 Ghorun
6 chilibean_3
7 Pessh
8 Devil
9 Black_Scotch-
10 BAZ1EL

Looks like I won through consistency. Pretty close championship in retrospect, good fun all around. Stay tuned for details on the next race night!
#43 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Man, Fuck Eiger and fuck everyone drafting me right before the finish line.   I'm not driving those Crapwagons again.  jk, jk.  

So any word on whats the plan for next week?     

#44 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: I'm thinking 325 hp limited touring cars (tuned cars) with a weight limit of 1300kg. Still open to suggestions.
#45 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: Ferrari F1 or might as well move up the ladder and go with the Civics.
#46 Edited by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: In keeping with your logic, how about a power to weight to ratio of 1300kg/325hp = 4 kg/hp (still limited to touring and tuned cars). So it gives some room for people to pick big heavey muscle cars or small nimble racers. Of course the track selection would be a crucial deciding factor then.  

EDIT: I only say this because most touring and tuned cars is actually less then 1300kg killing a lot of the choices one can have.  

EDIT2: To give you a comparison, even nascar has a 1565kg/850hp = 1.84 kg/hp, something to think about. You could have the no changing cars in between races rule to give more weight on our car choices. 
#47 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Looks like you lads had fun. Sorry I didn't join up, been feeling less then ideal lately but I might be up for next week.

#48 Posted by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

Next time we will have to use real cars. then we wont have 10 people going across the line at once making the game flip out. 

@KaosAngel said:

" @FrankCanada97: Ferrari F1 or might as well move up the ladder and go with the Civics. "
rather race civics than F1.
#49 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

Frank wins his own tournament, huh? WHAT ARE THE ODDS! FIX! 

Kidding aside, well done everyone, I'm surprised I placed 4th!

#50 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: Yeah, probably lower the weight to 1000kg or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.