Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By iPhone_Tyler

It looks like we are finally getting some Gran Turismo 5 love on Thursday, December 17th 2009.  On that day PD will release Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge on PSN. This download will include two versions of the Nissan 370Z , a single track and will center gameplay around real life prizes to be won for the world's fastest racers. The game will only be available on PSN until January 25, 2010 so act fast! No word on pricing but I get the impression it is free. 

Original Link

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

it's a demo, so it's free. this time trial thing seems pretty cool, though ^_^ 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

Nice, I wonder how much they have improved on the graphics since Prologue, and if it will be evident in this demo.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97

A trip to the Indy 500! Count me in!

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Adamantium

Hey cool. Thanks for the heads up.

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
    @AjayRaz:  That makes sense. I just thought it was a bit funny that in the PS blog post they didn't explicitly say "it's free".
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By artofwar420

Just got an email about this, good thing because I completely forgot this was coming out  

Go get it tomorrow!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

just got the email: 

No Caption Provided

wooot!!!!! 

Will be up online around 3AM EST  in the Japanese store- make your fake accounts now!!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

The demo is up.  The Nissan 370Z comes in tuned (black) and normal (red) spec. Internet options include online rankings and replay video downloads for the top rankers. The top rankers will be given physical prizes of some form.  

The demo will cut off on February 25 

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Bouke

So its up, i'll download it when i get home from work, any impressions so far? I have pretty low expectations for this demo, but i hope, it can proof me wrong.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas

i played the demo for just like 2 minutes (have company over).  But is it just me or do the graphics seem toned down from Prologue?  Obviously the track wasn't like the ones in Prologue tho.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MrOldboy

I already downloaded the japanese demo, but was wondering if a US release of the demo is happening.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slippy
    @handlas:  
    Definitely toned down. I knew I wasn't the only one to think this - it seems blurry in 1080p, almost like the game uses quincunx anti-aliasing rather than the 2xMSAA they had before. I changed back to 720p and it looked much better. Shadow resolution is also pretty poor and they seem to have removed the cool grass which they added in Prologue (on the whole i'd actually agree that Prologue does look better). To be honest the game is starting to show it's age - maybe I have just grown too used to playing Dirt 2 at 1080p 60fps on PC, or maybe it's the product of a bloated development time, but either way I don't think it's as impressive as it used to be.
    iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iPhone_Tyler

My impressions:  

• I think the cars look incredible, but the included track doesn't look as amazing as it should.     
    • As people have probably guessed, there is no car model damage. 
    • There are no driving assists.
    • The menu and interfaces haven't really changed at all from Prologue.
    • The driving physics do feel great.
    • Elevator Jazz Music.
    • How is the download so small?! <300MB? 

I feel like there is lots to be improved... thank goodness this isn't the final game we're seeing. Did PD ever really call this an official Demo? I feel like this is just a recompile of Prologue with a new track, new cars and updated physics to facilitate the time trial contests.  I really don't think it will "wow" too many people.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @flickr: I know its kinda weird. We saw in like E3 or some game show earlier this year that there was going to be damage in the game and we did see the graphics better from prologue even. I think the point from PD here is to have a contest really, as the only thing that seems better is the physics (which is the only thing that matters when trying to determine the best driver). Something is better than nothing I guess, but there is just so much potential for people to use this as flamebait. 
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By CharleyTony

Look I don't want to start some forum war here but I played the time trial demo yesterday and I don't see where the beautiful graphics are. 

It looks good, but nowhere near the level of polish that Forza Motorsport 3 has. Maybe it's the demo, I'm sure that GT5: Prologue had better graphics than this. If it is the case then this demo will do a disservice to Sony even though GT5 will sell itself. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @flickr: I know its kinda weird. We saw in like E3 or some game show earlier this year that there was going to be damage in the game and we did see the graphics better from prologue even. I think the point from PD here is to have a contest really, as the only thing that seems better is the physics (which is the only thing that matters when trying to determine the best driver). Something is better than nothing I guess, but there is just so much potential for people to use this as flamebait.  "

Yea, I remember posting those videos. It was GamesCom Germany.   I have no idea if it's been removed from the final game, but I'm inclined to think it has.  To be perfectly honest, It looked pretty lame anyway, nowhere near as good as you would expect, and what you see in other games, given that, perhaps it's a good thing.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#18  Edited By Soap
    @CharleyTony said:
    " Look I don't want to start some forum war here but I played the time trial demo yesterday and I don't see where the beautiful graphics are.  It looks good, but nowhere near the level of polish that Forza Motorsport 3 has. Maybe it's the demo, I'm sure that GT5: Prologue had better graphics than this. If it is the case then this demo will do a disservice to Sony even though GT5 will sell itself.   "
    I'm kinda on the same track as you. I grew up with GT, got all of them, love them to death but it didn't blow me away in the way I had expected it to :/
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

So this is kind  of stripped from GT Prologue?

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
    @CharleyTony said:
    " It looks good, but nowhere near the level of polish that Forza Motorsport 3 has."  
    Perhaps overall, but I'd say that the graphics of the cars in GT TT are the best I've ever seen.
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thegoldencat7

I finished prologue, (a mighty task) so I'll have to have a go at this.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By handlas
    @Slippy said:
    " @handlas:  Definitely toned down. I knew I wasn't the only one to think this - it seems blurry in 1080p, almost like the game uses quincunx anti-aliasing rather than the 2xMSAA they had before. I changed back to 720p and it looked much better. Shadow resolution is also pretty poor and they seem to have removed the cool grass which they added in Prologue (on the whole i'd actually agree that Prologue does look better). To be honest the game is starting to show it's age - maybe I have just grown too used to playing Dirt 2 at 1080p 60fps on PC, or maybe it's the product of a bloated development time, but either way I don't think it's as impressive as it used to be. "
    Some guy was posting that they stripped down the game to make the file size small for the demo.  Not sure I believe that but the file size was very small.  The demo looked pretty bland in comparison to Prologue. 
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slippy
    @handlas said:

" @Slippy said:

" @handlas:  Definitely toned down. I knew I wasn't the only one to think this - it seems blurry in 1080p, almost like the game uses quincunx anti-aliasing rather than the 2xMSAA they had before. I changed back to 720p and it looked much better. Shadow resolution is also pretty poor and they seem to have removed the cool grass which they added in Prologue (on the whole i'd actually agree that Prologue does look better). To be honest the game is starting to show it's age - maybe I have just grown too used to playing Dirt 2 at 1080p 60fps on PC, or maybe it's the product of a bloated development time, but either way I don't think it's as impressive as it used to be. "
    Some guy was posting that they stripped down the game to make the file size small for the demo.  Not sure I believe that but the file size was very small.  The demo looked pretty bland in comparison to Prologue.  "
    It could explain the grass, but things like shadow resolution and image quality are dependant on the graphics engine. That stuff wouldn't really have an impact on file size, so not sure if I believe him either. You would think they'd try and show off their flagship franchise a bit better; especially after strong competition from Forza. 
    msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By msdss

This isn't a true demo, just a marketing thing. Also it is not surprising that it doesn't look all that great as it is a bare bones demo stripped down to its basic parts. Its only 200mb...  Thats like 60 .bmp files... 

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
    @flickr said:
    "  My impressions:  
    • I think the cars look incredible, but the included track doesn't look as amazing as it should.     
    • As people have probably guessed, there is no car model damage. 
    • There are no driving assists.
    • The menu and interfaces haven't really changed at all from Prologue.
    • The driving physics do feel great.
    • Elevator Jazz Music.
    • How is the download so small?! <300MB? 

One other things that really struck me... I ran into a wall of tires at 100KPH and they didn't budge... In footage I've seen from E3, etc. the tires walls are physics simulated in the real game - I may end up being wrong but this seems like more evidence that what we got here is less of a demo than a rushed conversion of the Prologue engine. 

The official Time Trials announcement didn't say much more than "try out Gran Turismo 5’s brand-new physics engine"... I'll continue to wait patiently.
    KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By KinjiroSSD

They shouldn't have released this to the public............

ShogunofHarlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShogunofHarlem
    @KinjiroSSD said:
    " They shouldn't have released this to the public............ "
    I agree with you.  i don't know what they were thinking?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.