GT5 B-Spec .... someone care to explain it to me in simple terms?

#1 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

First off, perhaps it would be beneficial if you assume I know nothing about B-Spec. Frankly it is true, sort of.

I admit my shame here. I have played all 5 GT games and not once have I ever played B-Spec. Right now, I have no idea when they started it. I looked at it certainly on 4 and now 5, but today I actually attempted to understand it. I am now aware you creat a driver, which I did and then watch him race. This seems very odd to me, especially on a long race - I entered a 25 minute Seasonal race and walked away to come back to 12th place. I have done most of the Beginners and my driver is level 16 and apparently I can do this all over again with 4 drivers.

What exactly is the point of this? I am serious. Yes, I am aware that what you do does affect the outcome of the race (unless your car is so powerful it will win no matter what), but sitting watching a race seems ........ boring. Am I missing the big picture gere? Sure, I could try to research it, but I am sure you can explain it qickly and efficiently. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (983 posts) -

Its for people that wanted to be a manager of there own race team, but i find it very boring. Other then money i see no real point in using it. Obviously you can let them win races and earn cash while you do something else, or if you have friends that do B-spec they can race your drivers and earn you money even when you are not playing.

#3 Posted by onarum (2016 posts) -

Yeah its pretty much worthless, if GT5's AI was any good then maybe it would be a bit enjoyable to watch, but as it stands you're just watching a bunch of AI driving around in a line, the formula is this:

Give your driver a faster car = you win.

You can give some commands like increase pace, maintain pace and take over, but seriously, just give your driver a faster car than anyone else, start the race and watch him win.

#4 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

Its for people that wanted to be a manager of there own race team, but i find it very boring. Other then money i see no real point in using it. Obviously you can let them win races and earn cash while you do something else, or if you have friends that do B-spec they can race your drivers and earn you money even when you are not playing.

@onarum said:

Yeah its pretty much worthless, if GT5's AI was any good then maybe it would be a bit enjoyable to watch, but as it stands you're just watching a bunch of AI driving around in a line, the formula is this: Give your driver a faster car = you win. You can give some commands like increase pace, maintain pace and take over, but seriously, just give your driver a faster car than anyone else, start the race and watch him win.

That pretty much sums it up for me then. I had no idea about your friends racing them, but what are the odds of having a friend who actually wants to do it? The Seasonal races available at the moment really do level your driver up fast, even if you come 12th, plus, they are $2mio events, so you still get good dollars for it. I can't see myself maintaining any level of motivation to keep doing it though. Thanks for that.

#5 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

Remote racing is a good way to get money if you have someone to share your drivers with. other than that its pretty pointless.

#6 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

Remote racing is a good way to get money if you have someone to share your drivers with. other than that its pretty pointless.

With 200% bonus (being online), it certainly brings in the credits. I have over 950 cars now thanks to that. I just set it up and come back every 20 minutes. Once I have every car (I can get), it will game over I suppose.

#7 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Contrarian: Are you using an alt account so you can run all your drivers at once?

#8 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@Contrarian: Are you using an alt account so you can run all your drivers at once?

No. Thought never occurred to me. I just use the last championship of the Extreme series and that requires 3 drivers. Repeated racing brings them up quickly. My overall level is 40 and my 5 drivers are at levels 40, 36,35,32 & 31. I just play another system or watch television while it happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.