Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT5, Biggest game launch in 5 years.

• 75 results
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @KaosAngel:  Maybe biggest for the PS3, but doubtful for overall.
    goudaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By goudaj
    @MisterChief said:

" I wonder how many million this game has to sell to break even. "

Not as much as you think, remember that GT5 Prologue has sold about 5 million units. That's probably made back quite a significant chunk of GT5's 60 million dollar budget. GTPSP sold nearly 2 million as well, and that can't of been very expensive to make.
    Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Joru

Wish I could play GT5 or at least try it out somewhere, but I don't have a PS3 and neither do any of my friends. Guess I'll have to stick with Forza 3. It's a shame, I really enjoy driving games, especially those that are on the realistic side.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By JJWeatherman

I have no PS3. I have no job to buy a PS3 or this game. Therefore: 

Preferable hype: fairly high 

Realistic hype: non-existent

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I hate GT games with a passion. Why? Because the damn developers decided to make more useless racing sims instead of a sequel to the best mecha game ever. Hmph,

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Biggest game launch in 5 years.

... Really?

Sad, if true. There's a ton of awesomely creative and engrossing games out there, and this gets attention? This and Call of Duty make me sad.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I feel like im the only one not hyped at all =\
    Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Blind_Evil

Yeah?  

Seems it isn't even the biggest game of November.  Yearly CoD and AC2 BROHOOD is probably going to outsell and out-mindshare it, respectively.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I love racing simulators. My favourite things about them are the visuals, especially the tyre marks. I would be interested in GT5 but their negligence to include tyre marks ruins the whole game for me. Without even playing it it's a 1* at best 

lol jk 

GT5 looks really nice, but aside from the eye candy it has nothing I can't get on my PC with rFactor (and soon rFactor 2), Richard Burns Rally and GTR2. You have 1000 cars, I have hundreds of thousands. Granted yours are all very pretty but if that was all I wanted I wouldn't be anywhere near rfactor.

GT5 had a budget of $60 million, that means for it to break even it would need sales of at least 10,000,000... GT4 sold 11 million copies in total. The thing is, GT4 was on the PS2, and there have been 140 million PS2's sold and only 38 million PS3's, so if they get half of the 10,000,000 they will be doing well. 

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Gargantuan
    @zudthespud said:
    " I love racing simulators. My favourite things about them are the visuals, especially the tyre marks. I would be interested in GT5 but their negligence to include tyre marks ruins the whole game for me. Without even playing it it's a 1* at best  lol jk  GT5 looks really nice, but aside from the eye candy it has nothing I can't get on my PC with rFactor (and soon rFactor 2), Richard Burns Rally and GTR2. You have 1000 cars, I have hundreds of thousands. Granted yours are all very pretty but if that was all I wanted I wouldn't be anywhere near rfactor. GT5 had a budget of $60 million, that means for it to break even it would need sales of at least 10,000,000... GT4 sold 11 million copies in total. The thing is, GT4 was on the PS2, and there have been 140 million PS2's sold and only 38 million PS3's, so if they get half of the 10,000,000 they will be doing well.  "
    It has to sell more than 10 million copies to break even. Developers/publishers don't get all the money from a sale.
    mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By mastrbiggy
    @Hero_Swe said:

" @Devil240Z said:

" @Hero_Swe said:
    " @Devil240Z said:
    " @Hero_Swe said:
    " "Real Driving Simulator"   The first time I heard that subtitle I think I cramped up my stomache laughing, still makes me giggle everytime I read it. "  
    Do you use public transportation?  "
    Only when I'm too lazy to drive my Koenigsegg "
    I will take that as a yes. If you don't understand cars then you cant appreciate a game like GT. For me not being behind the wheel of a fast car is equivalent to being dead. Even now I wish I were racing.  "
    Actually I can appriciate it, it's just a shame that they themselves think it is "THE real driving simulator" if you know what I mean. Sure, not everyone has a G25/G27 and a good computer to play rFactor or GTR 2 or any other real sim on the pc. What's worse is people actually believing it is the best driving sim out there. "
    Yeah, GT5 is hardly the best simulator.  Sometimes I even question the simulation part altogether. 
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm interested just to see the fan response.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By JoelTGM
    @mastrbiggy said:
    " @Hero_Swe said:

" @Devil240Z said:

" @Hero_Swe said:
    " @Devil240Z said:
    " @Hero_Swe said:
    " "Real Driving Simulator"   The first time I heard that subtitle I think I cramped up my stomache laughing, still makes me giggle everytime I read it. "  
    I will take that as a yes. If you don't understand cars then you cant appreciate a game like GT. For me not being behind the wheel of a fast car is equivalent to being dead. Even now I wish I were racing.  "
    Actually I can appriciate it, it's just a shame that they themselves think it is "THE real driving simulator" if you know what I mean. Sure, not everyone has a G25/G27 and a good computer to play rFactor or GTR 2 or any other real sim on the pc. What's worse is people actually believing it is the best driving sim out there. "
    Yeah, GT5 is hardly the best simulator.  Sometimes I even question the simulation part altogether.  "
    The developers of GT5 did work very hard simulating the experience of racing and the tracks you race on.  I mean they certainly have the money to take them all over and gather the data they need.  I think the big difference is they made it so you could play the game fully with a playstation controller.  So maybe that's why it's not as sensitive as those PC racing sims.  In games like rFacter and LFS you can lose control so easily that it feels like you're racing on ice.  I don't know if that's real or not, but I find it more enjoyable to race in GT5 (Prologue) where it feels like you have real traction even with all assists off.  Who knows what they've changed for the full game though, but yeah it's definitely easier than PC racing sims.  Again though, I don't know how realistic those sims actually are. 
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Devil240Z
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" @mastrbiggy said:

" @Hero_Swe said:

" @Devil240Z said:

" @Hero_Swe said:
    " @Devil240Z said:
    " @Hero_Swe said:
    Yeah, GT5 is hardly the best simulator.  Sometimes I even question the simulation part altogether.  "
    The developers of GT5 did work very hard simulating the experience of racing and the tracks you race on.  I mean they certainly have the money to take them all over and gather the data they need.  I think the big difference is they made it so you could play the game fully with a playstation controller.  So maybe that's why it's not as sensitive as those PC racing sims.  In games like rFacter and LFS you can lose control so easily that it feels like you're racing on ice.  I don't know if that's real or not, but I find it more enjoyable to race in GT5 (Prologue) where it feels like you have real traction even with all assists off.  Who knows what they've changed for the full game though, but yeah it's definitely easier than PC racing sims.  Again though, I don't know how realistic those sims actually are.  "
    Racing games have to walk such a difficult line. Realism vs playability/fun. I think GT strikes a perfect balance. 
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @Devil240Z said:
    "  I cant wait to see what the reviews say, mainly to see how many GOTY awards GT gets. At minimum all of europe will give it GOTY, The US is much more critical about how long development has taken. Even though they forget that every GT has been like this. I guess reviewers are just too used to games like COD coming yearly.  

Lol. No. Just no. It will not get GOTY anywhere. Forza 3 was mind blowing and did not receive GOTY anywhere. If Forza can't, GT certainly won't. Not up against ME2, RDR, SC2, C5, etc.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By Bouke
    @Rolyatkcinmai:
    I agree, i'm looking forward to GT5 but game of the year!?  
    Racing games are not that mainstream as they might seem and a lot of people that are into racing games are into more arcade style racers like Blur and Split/Second. This year will have a bunch of racegames and so far i think GT5 should first proof it can beat the other games in its genre before even thinking about GOTY overall. I had Forza on top off my lists last year (because i love that game) but it was never going to be Game of the Year with games like Batman and Uncharted 2. This year its the same thing, and i think GT5 has a lot more to proof then Forza 3 did; just because of its long development time and crazy cost. 

I do agree that it is a really big release (since it was such a long time coming), but not "the biggest game launch in 5 years".
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Devil240Z

Yup, I was totally right.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Devil240Z said:

" Yup, I was totally right. "

About what?

The game's launch is a mess and the game itself is riddled with problems and bad design choices. The score average is below 90%. The only site that may hand the game a goty award is the always funny Destructiod.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jmfinamore

This is one game that I really wish I could get into (well, any hardcore racing game for that matter). But the controls just completely escape me; I could barely do a lap in the time trial demo.  

But have fun, hope it's as good as you hoped. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just put a bet on imcalling.it at 3 stars after watching the Justintv session the guys did.  

People are pulling their hair out over in the Racing Simulator community, and people now like Forza 3 more than they thought they did. 

It's a shame. I was genuinely hoping this would be the game that made me buy a PS3, but I'm not interested.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DonPixel
    @Hero_Swe said:
    because people liking stuff you probably don´t care about is a good reason to mock at them right?
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By hero_swe
    @DonPixel said:
    " @Hero_Swe said:
    because people liking stuff you probably don´t care about is a good reason to mock at them right? "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mourne

The long development cycle didn't result in a great game, which is unfortunate. They tried to make both a game and a simulator and did neither well. There's so much imprecision in the design of the game and the feature set but I'm not sure what we all expected after all these years.

Maybe next time.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @Devil240Z: Biggest game launch in 5 years? More like the biggest game launch in 2 weeks since Black Ops just came out? And you just compared it to MGS 4 which was 2 years ago? Make up your mind.
    vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By vaportra1l

You know, in 10 years when GT6 comes out, I'm gonna probably be pissed when it turns out to be exactly the same game as all the others since GT4/GT5P were really underwhelming to me and it seems very little has changed.  

Why the fuck can't I look around in the cockpit with the right stick?  I always love it when I have to guess where other cars are in relation to mine when we're racing close.  

They've promised a bunch of patches so I wonder if it'll be improved much or if that's just a bunch of bs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.