Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT5 development (I don´t get this)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

people is always bitching about publishers rushing out games, yearly unpolished sequels and so on.. 

then when a developer/publisher take all the time to make a game as polish as they can.. they will bitch the other way.. I saw the same crap with Starcraft 2 all kind of dumb comments saying they tanking "to long"   

crazy crazy internet..           

I rather wait for a few real quality games to play than waste my time with fast food video games (COD im looking at you)

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By oatz

I think the bitching has been more about the delays, not the actual development time.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Bigrhyno

Well, from the sounds of it, it is hard to tell what exactly caused GT to take so long. Sounds like it has some issues despite being an overall good game.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona
    @DonPixel: Have you even read any of the complaints? I'm guessing no, because if you had, you would know that people's main issue is that, so far, they don't see anything about the game that would explain such a long development time.  

If a game is in development for six years, getting delay after delay with the claim of, wanting it to be perfect, and then that perfection isn't delivered on, people are going to bitch. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

I think games have a sweet spot in development between a COD and a Gran Turismo time frame. And people bitch because for the time it took in development and hyping, the game was expected rationally to be perfect. See KaosAngel's threads for that matter. Still like everything there isn't a perfect game, and the more time games take, after the sweet spot, generally the less impressive they become. I think that happened with Alan Wake and Gran Turismo. Hype and complacency killed the beast.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jace
    @DonPixel:  

Yeah, and now even though PD went through the trouble of putting in 200 amazing cars and 800 great ones, now people are bitching about how their grocery-getters get to 60 in 10 seconds in real life and in GT it takes them 10.2 =(. 

My beetle doesn't handle correctly =(. Forget that the most complex cars on the planet are done better than ever before, I want MY car to be perfect.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonPixel
    @Kazona said:
    " @DonPixel: Have you even read any of the complaints? I'm guessing no, because if you had, you would know that people's main issue is that, so far, they don't see anything about the game that would explain such a long development time.   If a game is in development for six years, getting delay after delay with the claim of, wanting it to be perfect, and then that perfection isn't delivered on, people are going to bitch.  "
    mm well i dont know about this, regardless of the quality of the final product Im glad ther´s still projects that take the time to do or at least try to do things right whatever it takes.  And as far as living at the expectations its to soon to claim it won´t.. i played prologue and it was awesome to me, but I do know my personal taste it is not the final indication for the general success of the game.   

At the end Im talking about bussines ethics, no one but the developer and publisher knows exactly why it took so long .. still im glad they don´t rushing things for me it speaks good of Sony.. they had a lot of pressure with the lack of titles and overall weak launch of the ps3 and still they holding up in trying to get quality games out there. 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Azteck

Man. Blizzard are always tanking so hard. They should stop.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

Like Kazona said, seems to me that most of the bitching is aimed at the shoddy quality of the game, rather than the delays... I'm all for taking more time to improve a game, but if that's all they could come up with in all that time, how abysmal was the original product to begin with?!

Vkramac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vkramac

Loading times in GT5 are brutal.   They should have taken more time for development.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

I kind of dont care as im not really very interested in the game but I do have one question. In that final delay period between the original date of the 2nd of november and the final release date of the 24th of november...What changed? two and a bit weeks of delay when your game is finished seems a bit weird, was it just disk printing stuff?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @EuanDewar: It was the firmware change or something for the security of the disc. 

What I don't get is that the PD servers can only hold up to 500,000 users at one time.  GT5P sold 5 million units worldwide...how stupid was PD for only having servers that could hold up to 500,000?
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Jace said:
    " @DonPixel:   Yeah, and now even though PD went through the trouble of putting in 200 amazing cars and 800 mediocre ones, now people are bitching about how their grocery-getters get to 60 in 10 seconds in real life and in GT it takes them 10.2 =(.  My beetle doesn't handle correctly =(. Forget that the most complex cars on the planet are done better than ever before, I want MY car to be perfect. "
    Fix'd. 

I've only recently discovered that loading is tied to the internets, so maybe that may settle in the future. 

I wasn't expecting perfection, but I'd have expected them to redo the standards a la Forza 3, maybe sans interiors. They look like they're ripped straight from GT4 (which isn't altogether bad, but 6 years removed in 3D tech)...
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeJerk

How many people does PD have exactly? I know they're tiny but not how tiny.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @somejerk said:
    " How many people does PD have exactly? I know they're tiny but not how tiny. "
    110 total.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @somejerk said:
    110 total. "
    That's hardly tiny.
    ebritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ebritt

There is a big difference between a company using a couple of extra months for polish and one that takes half a decade longer than the normal development cycle. but if they make good games, i don't care how long it takes just don't promise it at a certain time then push it back a year. 

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lutonhatter
    @Vkramac said:
    " Loading times in GT5 are brutal.   They should have taken more time for development. "

Yes because iterating some software some more is going to make the hdd and the blu-ray drive in the PS3 spin quicker. 

I don't know but I feel the main source of the length of time it took to get this game out was that they decided they wanted to render 16 of the best looking cars they could at a solid 60 fps at 1080p on the PS3 and that is very difficult thing to get right. 

They were over ambitious for the first game on a new console but now they had it done they and go on to make a much more polished GT6.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jace
    @Aus_azn:  

Next time you insert your OPINION, don't "fix'd". 
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Icemael said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @somejerk said:
    110 total. "
    That's hardly tiny. "

Yeah that had me surprised. APB felt like it had 30 people working on it, tops. Later it turned out to have had at least 180 people on the paycheck over the course of the project. Thought PD was high double-digits, but I guess they have a lot of people for getting tracks and cars done right.
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By willylo
    @Vkramac:  It's not bad after the install, races load up for me in 10-15 seconds.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Kazona
    @DonPixel
    @Kazona said:
    " @DonPixel: Have you even read any of the complaints? I'm guessing no, because if you had, you would know that people's main issue is that, so far, they don't see anything about the game that would explain such a long development time.   If a game is in development for six years, getting delay after delay with the claim of, wanting it to be perfect, and then that perfection isn't delivered on, people are going to bitch.  "
    mm well i dont know about this, regardless of the quality of the final product Im glad ther´s still projects that take the time to do or at least try to do things right whatever it takes.  And as far as living at the expectations its to soon to claim it won´t.. i played prologue and it was awesome to me, but I do know my personal taste it is not the final indication for the general success of the game.   

At the end Im talking about bussines ethics, no one but the developer and publisher knows exactly why it took so long .. still im glad they don´t rushing things for me it speaks good of Sony.. they had a lot of pressure with the lack of titles and overall weak launch of the ps3 and still they holding up in trying to get quality games out there. 
    My point, and that of others, though, is that very few developers take six years to create a game of similar quality.

I hate to draw the comparison, but Forza had 3 installments in the time it took for this game to be made. All of which were of equal quality (better in some people's eyes).

To be honest, I think the overly long development times generally hurt quality rather than help it. It's a trend that I've noticed with a lot of games that get delayed too much. Logic dictates that's because by the time of release, things that were groundbreaking when development started, are now outdated.

I'm a absolutely not saying it's a bad game. I think for it's incredibly long development it's superior to other games who suffer similar delays. I just think that they shouldn't have tried to throw in everything including the kitchen sink. More and more does not always equal better and better.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Kazona said:

I think the overly long development times generally hurt quality rather than help it.

That tends to be the case more often than not.

I think it's silly to look at development time in such black and white. Long development time can mean perfectionism and dedication to quality - but it can also mean poorly managed, unskilled and/or disorganized.

I would guess that GT5's lengthy development was heavy on the "dedication to quality" with a side order of "poorly managed".
    (...throw in a little "stress of mindcrushingly high, unmeetable expectations" while yer at it too)

...but in the end, we'll never know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.