GT5 early game tips

• 70 results
#1 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

After being lost in the menu systems for the first 10 levels I figured it might be a good idea for everyone to post some tips on how to manage the early game for any new players giving it a go.  Here's some of my thoughts.

• Much like an RPG, specialization seems to win out over diversity. You should probably focus on gearing up 3 cars (A small Japanese roadster like a Miata, an American Muscle classic and either a Mini or French hatchback would be my suggestions). That should give you enough depth to compete in most races.
  • Tuned cars have a vast advantage over the stock cars you'll normally race against. Focus on the cheap add-ons like exhausts and air filters first, then move up the chain with engine and turbo kits.
  • Do not blow your money on an expensive, high horsepower car early in the game. You will not be able to use it in any of the races making it essentially useless. I made the mistake of suping up a WRX and while I adore the car, am finding it hard to find races to compete in with it. You can really screw yourself over in this game by spending money in the wrong place too early.
  • Turn the assists off. I know you prefer playing the game with a little help, but you're actually really hurting yourself in GT5 more so than other games. When you concentrate on the line and not the road or the cars in front of you, you are going to crash a whole lot more because you don't focus on the brake lights of other drivers. Since the game doesn't have a rewind feature, it's better to play it safe and steady.
  • Complete the special events whenever you can, they more often than not provide the cars for you and you'll be able to use that cash to focus on your main cars for the actual races.
  • If you're someone that only enjoys cockpit view like I do, then only focus on premium cars. They're the ones with the "P" next to their type and are also the cars available from the dealers.
  • You'll get gifted cars for completing all gold in most events. I'd focus on only going for gold in the actual races in the beginning. The license events are extremely difficult and you really aren't hurt too much by finishing those at the bronze level. You'll earn more experience and CR faster by finishing the relatively easy A-Spec events in your first dozen hours.
  • B-Spec is a good way to earn CR passively. Go grab a sode or something, put your driver in a nice ride and come back in 10 minutes. If you're keeping A-Spec above B-spec, you should always have great cars for your driver. B-Spec also opens up some great rides.

For those surprised that I like driving games, you should have known better. I like just about anything with a long learning curve.
#2 Posted by MightyDuck (1511 posts) -
@snide: 
Thanks for the tips Dave!  I'm looking forward to picking the game up this weekend.
#3 Posted by Robinson (170 posts) -

Awesome!!! thanks Dave!!

#4 Edited by Galiant (2185 posts) -

Good advice!  

EDIT: Nevermind, the rest of my post was misplaced. Carry on =P

#5 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
  • Do your damn Licenses, sure it's annoying for new comers but it really does teach you the basics.  Just try to pass B, A, and try to attempt IC (it isn't too bad).  
#6 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

First time granturismo'er i see.

#7 Posted by Darklight (212 posts) -
@snide: 
Thanks, those a pretty good tips.   I guess that :
" A small Japanese roadster like a Miata, a Front Wheel Drive American Muscle classic and either a Mini or French hatchback would be my suggestions) "
is for the maximize the different race you can take at an early stage. Waiting on my playseat to start for real. Can't wait!
#8 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" First time granturismo'er i see. "
No, but it's been awhile (and I guess it's been awhile for everyone).
#9 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -
@snide: What about Street Fighter? That has a huge learning curve. Will I ever see you online in SSF4? Please say yes :)
#10 Posted by chogi (554 posts) -

I usually use B-Spec to grind out money when I'm doing something else. When you get a fast enough car, the AI can basically handle it without your advice. Still working on the special challenges though, the Top Gear ones are the devil.

#11 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@Lemon said:
" @snide: What about Street Fighter? That has a huge learning curve. Will I ever see you online in SSF4? Please say yes :) "
I play a mean Abel. Coonce, Jeff and I play SSFIV a bit, but I'm usually the loser between the three.
#12 Posted by Sweep (8830 posts) -
@snide said:
"If you're someone that only enjoys cockpit view like I do"
I actually heard this about you before, a while ago ;)
#13 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@snide: how are you finding the game? I was hoping this was the game that would make me want a PS3 but given the mixed feedback I'm not sure about it. I have a wheel already.
#14 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@snide said:
" @Lemon said:
" @snide: What about Street Fighter? That has a huge learning curve. Will I ever see you online in SSF4? Please say yes :) "
I play a mean Abel. Coonce, Jeff and I play SSFIV a bit, but I'm usually the loser between the three. "
You guys should really set up another SSF4 TNT with all of you playing.
#15 Edited by countinhallways (632 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said: 

You guys should really set up another SSF4 TNT with all of you playing. "

^^   Also, thanks for the GT5 tips.
#16 Posted by Karamo (4 posts) -

good to know

#17 Posted by Siphillis (1290 posts) -

By turning off all assists, I assume that includes switching to Professional Handling, Manual Transmission, and turning Traction and Stability Control all the way down.

#18 Edited by chogi (554 posts) -
@snide: Any advice on finding a good old timey car? I'm having problems spotting the ones that have upgrade potential.
#19 Edited by Brackynews (4050 posts) -

You mean there isn't even a rewind mode to unlock??

:(

Hehe, a buddy of mine is the GT fanatic in my circle. Dude loves driving, and there's nothing but snow and sheet ice outside right now. Better safe indoors with the toys.
He's playing it on a ~100" wall projector, force feedback wheel, and Playstation Eye head tracking. Looking forward to seeing how good the damage modeling is!
#20 Edited by Jackel2072 (2240 posts) -

also learn how to drive manual i can not stress this enough... but maybe that goes with out saying?

#21 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Thanks Dave, appreciate you sharing these tips. Going to take the plunge and turn assists off and give that a go. I've found that I'm really struggling to slow down into bends and speed up as I exit them. Wondering if it's because I'm focusing too much on the line and not enough on the car itself.

#22 Posted by Jackel2072 (2240 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" Thanks Dave, appreciate you sharing these tips. Going to take the plunge and turn assists off and give that a go. I've found that I'm really struggling to slow down into bends and speed up as I exit them. Wondering if it's because I'm focusing too much on the line and not enough on the car itself. "
lol that was pretty deep man.
#23 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

Awesome, it's taking me a while to get into it.

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

It's also taking me a fair while, mainly because I am trying to do these infernal Top Gear special event things. They are how you unlock the track for other modes right?

#25 Posted by AllanIceman (1322 posts) -

Great Stuff Dave! Now to get my hands on a copy of the game....

#26 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Seems snide has the special ability of being able to post a GT thread without attracting a single nasty trolling comment about the game. Well done!  

I'd advise people get working on the Mercedes Nurburgring special events as soon as they can. Despite the high speeds and weaving turns on the track, the old car (in the beginner section) is very easy to handle and I can see it helping boost people's confidence at high speeds.
Also, once you get to the professional level race events in A-spec, one of the more enjoyable events for making some cashola is the 80s jap sports series. I recommend buying an '88 Supra and giving it a go without any upgrades first off, and if you find it too unwieldy after that, invest in suspension upgrades and aerodynamics in the auto shop to control the back end of the car. Once you're familiar with the two races, and have souped up the Supra even more, the races become piss easy. However, they are 5-lap events, so grinding them for the 24K can get a bit tedious.

#27 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Out of curiosity, what is " Front Wheel Drive American Muscle classic" ? Think you mean Rear Wheel drive no? There might be some niche front wheel diver muscle car classic that I've never heard of?

#28 Edited by Gunharp (336 posts) -

First off, I am thankful this post-Thanksgiving day for a thread that is not defending or criticizing  GT5. 

@snide said: 

" After being lost in the menu systems for the first 10 levels I figured it might be a good idea for everyone to post some tips on how to manage the early game for any new players giving it a go.  Here's some of my thoughts.

• Much like an RPG, specialization seems to win out over diversity. You should probably focus on gearing up 3 cars (A small Japanese roadster like a Miata, a Front Wheel Drive American Muscle classic and either a Mini or French hatchback would be my suggestions). That should give you enough depth to compete in most races."
To comment on this, buy a Megane Renault Sport from the Renault dealer for your FF/French/Hatchback needs. The Miata is a must, and if you need another Front wheel drive car opt for Honda specifically try to snag an Integra. The 1995 model probably being the best in my opinion given its weight and power. The preludes are heavier and the Civics are lower on HP.  

Turn the assists off. I know you prefer playing the game with a little help, but you're actually really hurting yourself in GT5 more so than other games. When you concentrate on the line and not the road or the cars in front of you, you are going to crash a whole lot more because you don't focus on the brake lights of other drivers. Since the game doesn't have a rewind feature, it's better to play it safe and steady.

Learning to properly break from the get go with ABS off is extremely tough especially when the horsepower and stopping power varies so much between cars. Locking up the tires will happen often for a beginner and it can become plain frustrating very quickly with the heavy super cars. To help with the idea of breaking in racing: know that you do not want to gradually put on the break, as if your coming up on a stop sign. But to depress the brake fully to the point of wheel lock. Press and release quickly to create your stopping power (ideally most of your breaking will be in a straight line),  and try to maintain the point just before your wheels lock up. This is pretty basic and assumes you know how to corner, turn, and manage the shifting weight of your vehicle while braking. Oh and of course this is a tip for the tarmac not snow or dirt.

You soon will be getting a feel for the difference in tire types by turning off the assists as well, and this is pretty important later on. If you know how to break, learning manual transmission is going to be less of a head ache. As you won't be over-revving when down shifting, and you will have the added benefit of some engine breaking. Since there is no clutch button if your playing with a controller your pretty much set on developing your skills from there.  

Remember you can always fail faster, smooth and steady drivers!
#29 Posted by TaccyP (307 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @snide said:
" @Lemon said:
I play a mean Abel. Coonce, Jeff and I play SSFIV a bit, but I'm usually the loser between the three. "
You guys should really set up another SSF4 TNT with all of you playing. "
YES PLEASE

Thanks for the tips, Dave.
#30 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@Brackynews said:
" You mean there isn't even a rewind mode to unlock??

:(

Hehe, a buddy of mine is the GT fanatic in my circle. Dude loves driving, and there's nothing but snow and sheet ice outside right now. Better safe indoors with the toys.He's playing it on a ~100" wall projector, force feedback wheel, and Playstation Eye head tracking. Looking forward to seeing how good the damage modeling is! "
Makes me wonder - do arcades/gaming cafes in Japan have such GT setups?
#31 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Thanks for the tips Dave. When I first entered the tuning menu I  immediately exited it when I saw all the things you could tweak. I wouldn't know where to start.

#32 Posted by sloppyjoe (405 posts) -

Another good tip - you get a permanent max horsepower boost on a brand new car if you change the oil before driving it the first time (this was the case in GT4 as well).  Those 250 cr are well worth the 5%-ish percent boost.

#33 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@snide: As far as turning the assists off - do you recommend turning Transmission to Manual? I have no issue with turning the assists off, however gear changing is something i constantly have issues with. 

I think it's mainly because of it being a button push on the controller - however the mrs is buying me a wheel for xmas so that should definitely make things better  on that front, but do you think its worth trying all the assists off with the controller (specifically the Manual transmission) at this point, or just holding on til the wheel and 'learning' from there
#34 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

As you start to level up, hit the special events hard. It's usually quick and easy money.

#35 Posted by HalfDane1975 (164 posts) -

I haaaate driving games but I love Dave !   I'm just saying !

#36 Posted by mech4399 (106 posts) -
@snide:  Awesome! Dave if you guys did a GT5 TNT would you be at the reigns with your wheel?
#37 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@OmegaPirate: In my case I've mapped the the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate respectively. For the right analog stick I've assigned the up and down motions to changing gears. It might be a little odd at first for some people but you get used to it plus manual transmission is generally faster then auto.
#38 Posted by chogi (554 posts) -
@mech4399 said:
" @snide:  Awesome! Dave if you guys did a GT5 TNT would you be at the reigns with your wheel? "
The thought of a GT5 TNT never crossed my mind. I hope it happens though.
#39 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @OmegaPirate: In my case I've mapped the the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate respectively. For the right analog stick I've assigned the up and down motions to changing gears. It might be a little odd at first for some people but you get used to it plus manual transmission is generally faster then auto. "
I too had 'modernized' the acceleration and the braking, however had not thought of using the analog stick to 'shift' gears, it's the whole pushing face buttons thing seems so odd and cumbersome, whereas naturally a gear stick for the wheel is a lot more natural, but i guess the right stick could suffice for now :D
#40 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" @OmegaPirate: In my case I've mapped the the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate respectively. For the right analog stick I've assigned the up and down motions to changing gears. It might be a little odd at first for some people but you get used to it plus manual transmission is generally faster then auto. "
I too had 'modernized' the acceleration and the braking, however had not thought of using the analog stick to 'shift' gears, it's the whole pushing face buttons thing seems so odd and cumbersome, whereas naturally a gear stick for the wheel is a lot more natural, but i guess the right stick could suffice for now :D "
I use the R1 and L1 buttons for shifting. Maybe that's just me though, just feels natural.
#41 Posted by villainy (545 posts) -
@djaoni said:
" @OmegaPirate said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
I too had 'modernized' the acceleration and the braking, however had not thought of using the analog stick to 'shift' gears, it's the whole pushing face buttons thing seems so odd and cumbersome, whereas naturally a gear stick for the wheel is a lot more natural, but i guess the right stick could suffice for now :D "
I use the R1 and L1 buttons for shifting. Maybe that's just me though, just feels natural. "
Same here though I think I'm in the minority of people who are comfortable playing with 4 fingers controlling the R/L buttons. Middle fingers for the triggers, index fingers for the buttons.
#42 Posted by blackkat77 (1 posts) -

i did a couple of the licenses first it helped with a couple cars then helped get money, but its defo not plain sailing.

#43 Posted by mistabishi (3 posts) -

Awesome work Dave! On a side note, has anyone gotten Gold on the final intermediate AMG challenge under special? I've spent nearly all day trying to do it and i'm 3 seconds off 7:05! Right ball ache!!!

#44 Posted by Australia (126 posts) -
@Gunharp: Which car is the Miata? I looked in the Mazda dealership but I didn't find anything with Miata in the name :S
#45 Posted by Gunharp (336 posts) -
@Australia said:
" @Gunharp: Which car is the Miata? I looked in the Mazda dealership but I didn't find anything with Miata in the name :S "
Try out the Used Dealership. There are I believe 34 Mazda Roadsters in the game. They go by the model names "MX-5", "Roadster", and "Eunos Roadster". It's a small light weight convertible with a "FR" lay out. 

Hope that helps. Also a quick internet search will yield you a bunch of photos of this auto, it is very popular. 
#46 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -
@snide: I wish you were on the Bombcast more often because your taste in games closely mirrors mine.
#47 Edited by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

These are almost exactly the same tips I gave to my friend yesterday. good to know someone else agrees. Also I never would of thought that you would like racing games. I guess your just a masochist.

#48 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Also some advice, when the game hangs...like really bad, it means you should reset the game. 

1.02 patch is up, so restart GT5.

#49 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

To clarify for those who asked, when I say "turn the assists off" I mainly mean dropping the line assist, setting yourself to professional mode and using a manual transmission. I think dropping the line assist is the most important part of the process. When it's on, you focus way too much on that line and not the cars in front of you and the curves ahead. After about 20 races you'll discover a natural braking habit to curves and start learning the tracks. You learn when to brake as a natural ability that will work on all tracks rather than as a mechanic that is specific to the turn you're on. I'd never tell anyone how to play their game, if you like playing a certain way, go for it. At the same time, from my own experience, the game didn't become bearable to me till I committed a couple hours to crashing into walls until I felt comfortable breaking into turns.

#50 Posted by DrWhat (280 posts) -

Great to see this thread, it's a pretty strong signal that whatever its shiny new flaws and features, GT5 is still the Gran Turismo we all love/hate. I pretty much blew my gaming peripheral budget on an Xbox wheel & pedals for Forza 3, but eventually I am going to need to try GT5 with the full setup.

And @snide - I agree with the earlier poster, your taste in games is pretty close to mine too and I hope you show up on the bombcast more. Or hey, just tell us once in a while What You've Been Playing. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.