Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT5 is really underwhelming so far.

• 96 results
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By jasondaplock

My brother and I have played the Gran Turismo series since number three. I enjoy them in spurts and my brother has played them obsessively in past. We were both fairly anxious for a full HD upgrade to GT4 and the list of new features and cars made GT5 out to be exactly what we both wanted: more straight-up car racing in real model cars. Not an overly ambitious goal, but sometimes I need to unwind with a down-to-earth title and Gran Turismo fits the bill admirably. 

We have been playing GT5 for about 4 hours now and while the core concepts of the game are still intact, it has totally failed to impress me.

The graphics are not good. Yamauchi has an eye for detail and his passion for the cars is made obvious when you try to discriminate any of the cars from the real thing--you have to try, and that is testament enough to their craftsmanship. But the cars only make up a fraction of your viewing area while racing and it is equally obvious that a comparatively meager amount of time went into the environment. Trees are classic doubled sprites, the grass has no tone to it, the audience is as unconvincing as it ever was...but the worst offenders are the distant backdrops which look universally terrible. No effort was put into them at all; you get the impression that each track is suspended in mid-air, a thousand of feet off the ground.

The menus are garbage. Nearly every race has stringent requirements for entry, requiring you to scour the globe for cars on a regular basis. This doesn't really bother me; in a game with over a thousand cars I want to be swapping them out on a semi-regular basis so I can at least see a sizable portion of what's on offer. But the dealerships are arranged alphabetically, the cars in each are arranged by price, and there is no other way to sort or search them. This is a nightmare when looking for a European FR mobile made between 1960 and 1979 (a dreampipe attempt to use the same car in three different cups). Is this any worse than it used to be? No. Is this acceptable after five years of development on an unmodified premise? No. The sting here is that the garage has a ton of filters that make finding the car you want a breeze. Polyphony simply didn't put this functionality in the other browsers.

Loading times. Holy shit. We installed the game; it took over 40 minutes for the PS3 to soak up 8 gigs from the GT5 Blu-Ray, and if this is the result I shudder to think what the game must be like without the install. Browsing for cars is a mostly text-based affair, as it can take upwards of 5 seconds to bring a car on-screen after highlighting it in the dealer menus. The races also take a ridiculous amount of time--an amount made even more frustrating by the quality of the environment the game renders once its done. Load times are even frustrating between menus. 

This does not sum my complaints totally, but it is more than enough text-based rage for one blog post. I certainly hope that Polyphony puts some major patchwork into this game, because most of my problems with it are completely fixable post-launch. 

I'm sure plenty of other people have been harping these things over the last two days. I just need some catharsis from the BLAEGHURGH is all.

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jasondaplock

My brother and I have played the Gran Turismo series since number three. I enjoy them in spurts and my brother has played them obsessively in past. We were both fairly anxious for a full HD upgrade to GT4 and the list of new features and cars made GT5 out to be exactly what we both wanted: more straight-up car racing in real model cars. Not an overly ambitious goal, but sometimes I need to unwind with a down-to-earth title and Gran Turismo fits the bill admirably. 

We have been playing GT5 for about 4 hours now and while the core concepts of the game are still intact, it has totally failed to impress me.

The graphics are not good. Yamauchi has an eye for detail and his passion for the cars is made obvious when you try to discriminate any of the cars from the real thing--you have to try, and that is testament enough to their craftsmanship. But the cars only make up a fraction of your viewing area while racing and it is equally obvious that a comparatively meager amount of time went into the environment. Trees are classic doubled sprites, the grass has no tone to it, the audience is as unconvincing as it ever was...but the worst offenders are the distant backdrops which look universally terrible. No effort was put into them at all; you get the impression that each track is suspended in mid-air, a thousand of feet off the ground.

The menus are garbage. Nearly every race has stringent requirements for entry, requiring you to scour the globe for cars on a regular basis. This doesn't really bother me; in a game with over a thousand cars I want to be swapping them out on a semi-regular basis so I can at least see a sizable portion of what's on offer. But the dealerships are arranged alphabetically, the cars in each are arranged by price, and there is no other way to sort or search them. This is a nightmare when looking for a European FR mobile made between 1960 and 1979 (a dreampipe attempt to use the same car in three different cups). Is this any worse than it used to be? No. Is this acceptable after five years of development on an unmodified premise? No. The sting here is that the garage has a ton of filters that make finding the car you want a breeze. Polyphony simply didn't put this functionality in the other browsers.

Loading times. Holy shit. We installed the game; it took over 40 minutes for the PS3 to soak up 8 gigs from the GT5 Blu-Ray, and if this is the result I shudder to think what the game must be like without the install. Browsing for cars is a mostly text-based affair, as it can take upwards of 5 seconds to bring a car on-screen after highlighting it in the dealer menus. The races also take a ridiculous amount of time--an amount made even more frustrating by the quality of the environment the game renders once its done. Load times are even frustrating between menus. 

This does not sum my complaints totally, but it is more than enough text-based rage for one blog post. I certainly hope that Polyphony puts some major patchwork into this game, because most of my problems with it are completely fixable post-launch. 

I'm sure plenty of other people have been harping these things over the last two days. I just need some catharsis from the BLAEGHURGH is all.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cjmabry

So all I have to say is... lol. Six years for this, and it's not even better than Forza. Oh, how I'm loving my one year old Forza right now. 

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I'm not sure what you expected from a 4 year old console.  The gpu in today's consoles are several generations behind (they're from directx 9c era).  If you want better backgrounds and more detail, try PC directx 11 racing games (dirt 2 or the formula 1 game).

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cjmabry said:
    " So all I have to say is... lol. Six years for this, and it's not even better than Forza. Oh, how I'm loving my one year old Forza right now.  "
    I didn't see the OP compare this to Forza.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " I'm not sure what you expected from a 4 year old console.  The gpu in today's consoles are several generations behind (they're from directx 9c era).  If you want better backgrounds and more detail, try PC directx 11 racing games (dirt 2 or the formula 1 game). "
    The game would not be any better on PC. It was delayed to many times and did not live to the hype. 
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" I'm not sure what you expected from a 4 year old console.  The gpu in today's consoles are several generations behind (they're from directx 9c era).  If you want better backgrounds and more detail, try PC directx 11 racing games (dirt 2 or the formula 1 game). "
    The game would not be any better on PC. It was delayed to many times and did not live to the hype.  "
    I was responding to the OPs comment about the graphics.  Of course it would have been better in that respect on the PC.  (The backgrounds and tracks could've been more detailed.)
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

The game would not be any better on PC. It was delayed to many times and did not live to the hype.  "
    I was responding to the OPs comment about the graphics.  Of course it would have been better in that respect on the PC.  (The backgrounds and tracks could've been more detailed.) "
    I doubt it. They would have just delayed it more. Who know why they really delayed it. Lots of stuff seems crappy in the game. Long loading times seeming to be the worst. 
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

I was responding to the OPs comment about the graphics.  Of course it would have been better in that respect on the PC.  (The backgrounds and tracks could've been more detailed.) "
    I doubt it. They would have just delayed it more. Who know why they really delayed it. Lots of stuff seems crappy in the game. Long loading times seeming to be the worst.  "
    You doubt what?  Even if it took them a hundred years they wouldn't be able to make the game look as good as the latest games look maxed out on a PC.   I was just responding to the OP about the detail of the graphics.   The PS3 and XBox360 have five year old gpus...
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Tarsier said:
    " look its a pc gamer "
    Look it's a troll.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Japanese game design strikes again.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    Today's consoles can go FAR beyond the graphics that the environments in GT5 provides us. Have you even seen them? Just go watch some HD youtube videos and you'll see what I mean. Like, this stuff even on the Playstation 2 wouldn't be very impressive.
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cjmabry
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @cjmabry said:
    " So all I have to say is... lol. Six years for this, and it's not even better than Forza. Oh, how I'm loving my one year old Forza right now.  "
    I didn't see the OP compare this to Forza. "
    I don't see what that has to do with anything. Forza is looking better in almost every way you look at it.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By EVO
    @cjmabry said:
    OK, time to put this shit to rest:

It didn't take 6 years to make

Anyone that believes this is retarded, since that would mean Polyphonic started development on Gran Turismo 5 immediately after 4, when the PS3 didn't even exist. Even if it did take 6 years, they've built an engine from the ground up, released Gran Tursimo HD, Academy, Prologue and PSP.  

More importantly, 

Nobody was waiting for this 6 years ago

Why? Because they were too busy playing Gran Turismo 4. You think when Starcraft II came out people were like, "man, I can't wait for Starcraft III!"? 

Besides, you confess your love for Forza, so it's not like you or any other racing fans were without a driving sim for 6 years.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond

GT5's premium cars have polygons per car than any other racing game so far by a factor of multiples.  PC, console, no matter.  The only problem (which is pretty big really) with GT5's graphics is only some of the cars got that treatment.  Same can be said for the tracks, some of the tracks look great, and some are basically ports from previous GT games with a few tweaks.

GT5's standard cars are running about 4000 polygons each, and supposedly Forza 3's cars are around 200,000 each.  And the difference is that obvious.  There probably isn't a single other current gen racing game with car models that low.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cjmabry said: 
    I don't see what that has to do with anything. "
    Irony.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Diamond said:

" GT5's premium cars have polygons per car than any other racing game so far by a figure of multiples.  PC, console, no matter.  "

Really?  Have you heard of *tessellation* in Directx11?   BTW, I'm not trying to dump on GT5.  I will probably buy the game (I just like sim-like racing games in general).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @EVO:

Developers got PS3 dev kit's WAY before the PS3 launched in 2006. All those games that launched in 2006 had to have been made beforehand obviously (Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc) and it probably took around a year or maybe longer. So GT5 could very well have been started right after GT4.

And even if you don't have the devkits, you can start development on other fronts: research, concepts, 2D.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By 234r2we232
    @teh_pwnzorer:  I hear Solitaire is pretty awesome on PC. The cards look photo realistic now. I wish had that for my Xbox :(
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond
    @teh_pwnzorer:  In theory many things are possible, but even Dirt 2 in DX11 doesn't use tessellation on the cars at all, it's used for superfluous stuff like water surfaces, the crowds (which it actually butchers), and flags.

In theory you could also create a rig with 20 GPUs and design a $500 million game and yes you could outclass GT5.

For now though, GT5 has more polygons per car than any other game by several times.  True too that car paint shaders and lighting can really help the way a game looks, but GT5 really has high quality shaders too (better than Forza 3 IMO).  I'd say Need for Speed Hot Pursuit has the best car shaders of any game at this point.  (It's not so easy to judge the quality of shaders, you kind of have to play it by eye)
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Diamond said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  In theory many things are possible, but even Dirt 2 in DX11 doesn't use tessellation on the cars at all, it's used for superfluous stuff like water surfaces, the crowds (which it actually butchers), and flags.  In theory you could also create a rig with 20 GPUs and design a $500 million game and yes you could outclass GT5.  For now though, GT5 has more polygons per car than any other game by several times.  True too that car paint shaders and lighting can really help the way a game looks, but GT5 really has high quality shaders too (better than Forza 3 IMO).  I'd say Need for Speed Hot Pursuit has the best car shaders of any game at this point. "
    I see.  

directx 11 would probably help GT5 (and other console games) with the jaggy shadows -- they appear in that screencap of the gt5 quicklook.
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cjmabry
    @EVO: I would explain myself, but xyzygy pretty much summed it up. And people have been waiting for this a dang long time. The fact that it isn't simply leaps and bounds over Forza is pretty dissappointing. I'm not a Forza fan or a GT5 fan. I'm a fan of the better game, and right now it looks to be Forza. 

@teh_pwnzorer: We all know console's can't touch a PC's power. We're talking console games vs. console games.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond
    @teh_pwnzorer:  Jaggy shadows are due to unfiltered & low res shadow mapping.  But yea better hardware would help with that.  It becomes pretty taxing to do extremely high resolution shadow mapping, and filtering is extremely expensive.  Not so much a API thing as a raw power thing.

There are games on both consoles and PC that do better shadow mapping, but as far as it goes GT5 is pretty middle of the road in that aspect.

The weird thing that GT5 seems to do is orients the shadow map by the player camera (or maybe it DOESN'T do that while every other game DOES, either way I can tell the movement of the camera is the cause of the more noticeable artifacting), and GT5 is the first game I've seen to do that, and the effect is not pleasant.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  I hear Solitaire is pretty awesome on PC. The cards look photo realistic now. I wish had that for my Xbox :( "
    On an xbox solitaire would play at 20fps and with heavy screen tearing.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jasondaplock
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  I hear Solitaire is pretty awesome on PC. The cards look photo realistic now. I wish had that for my Xbox :( "
    On an xbox solitaire would play at 20fps and with heavy screen tearing. "
    That and the auto-aim would make it a cakewalk.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cjmabry said:
    "
    @teh_pwnzorer: We all know console's can't touch a PC's power. We're talking console games vs. console games. "
    I was specifically talking about the original posters comments.  He's a PC gamer and he said the graphics were underwhelming.   I was just saying he should've been expecting less.  I have Dirt 2 for PS3 and PC and there's a world of difference.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @cjmabry said:
    "
    @teh_pwnzorer: We all know console's can't touch a PC's power. We're talking console games vs. console games. "
    I was specifically talking about the original posters comments.  He's a PC gamer and he said the graphics were underwhelming.   I was just saying he should've been expecting less.  I have Dirt 2 for PS3 and PC and there's a world of difference. "

He should have expected less out of the game which claimed it was one of the best looking console games ever made? That's just as bad as me saying I should have expected more out of Uncharted 2's graphics.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cjmabry
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @cjmabry said:
    "
    I was specifically talking about the original posters comments.  He's a PC gamer and he said the graphics were underwhelming.   I was just saying he should've been expecting less.  I have Dirt 2 for PS3 and PC and there's a world of difference. "
    I don't think you should have been expecting less. There are games that do look great on the 360 and PS3, and Forza is one of them. At least better than GT5 is looking. 

Someday I will be a PC gamer, though. Someday...
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "

He should have expected less out of the game which claimed it was one of the best looking console games ever made? That's just as bad as me saying I should have expected more out of Uncharted 2's graphics.

"
    There is a difference between art design and pure graphical detail.  The "best looking" game of 2010 could be Kirbey's epic yarn, if you're so inclined.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasondaplock
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

"
    There is a difference between art design and pure graphical detail.  The "best looking" game of 2010 could be Kirbey's epic yarn, if you're so inclined. "
    And, now that you mention it, Kirby's Epic Yarn is in fact a strong contender for my "best looking" game of 2010.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cjmabry said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "
    I don't think you should have been expecting less. There are games that do look great on the 360 and PS3, and Forza is one of them. At least better than GT5 is looking.  Someday I will be a PC gamer, though. Someday... "
    To convince you to join the dark side, I will show you Forza 3's jaggy shadows.  :)

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By 234r2we232
    @jasondaplock said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    On an xbox solitaire would play at 20fps and with heavy screen tearing. "
    That and the auto-aim would make it a cakewalk. "
    Aw. Now you guys are making me even more jealous. No auto-aim? Darn. That is the pinnacle of video gaming right there.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "

"
    There is a difference between art design and pure graphical detail.  The "best looking" game of 2010 could be Kirbey's epic yarn, if you're so inclined. "
    Don't play dumb, you know what I meant. Realistic.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jasondaplock
    @cjmabry said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @cjmabry said:
    "
    I don't think you should have been expecting less. There are games that do look great on the 360 and PS3, and Forza is one of them. At least better than GT5 is looking.  Someday I will be a PC gamer, though. Someday... "
    Being a PC gamer doesn't somehow force me to have unreasonable expectations for console graphics. Being an overly critical stodge does that. 

I have seen magic worked in the graphics of "lesser" games than GT5. If a slightly greater computational emphasis had been put on the tracks it would have improved the experience tremendously.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "

"
    Don't play dumb, you know what I meant. Realistic. "
    I have no idea what you mean, ever.  And usually I just suspect you're actually a team of Microsoft employees.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "

"
    I have no idea what you mean, ever.  And usually I just suspect you're actually a team of Microsoft employees. "
    Now you're just spouting nonsense because you have no idea what to say. Nice. At least now I have something to back myself up with when I say I can't take you serious in the future. And where the hell did the Microsoft thing come from? Who's to say that I'm not a massive Nintendo fanboy? Or massive PC elitist? Because my name is in Green? How very naive and shallow of you. 
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Every fucking thread about GT5 gets turned into a discussion on graphics.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cjmabry
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @cjmabry said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "
    To convince you to join the dark side, I will show you Forza 3's jaggy shadows.  :)

"
    Meh, I'm not looking at shadows while I'm racing, and games are more than how many polygons we can fit on screen. And besides, the best sim racers on PC look like garbage - it's the gameplay that matters. rFactor ftw!
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @cjmabry said:
    "

"
    I have no idea what you mean, ever.  And usually I just suspect you're actually a team of Microsoft employees. "
    Now you're just spouting nonsense because you have no idea what to say. Nice. At least now I have something to back myself up with when I say I can't take you serious in the future. And where the hell did the Microsoft thing come from? Who's to say that I'm not a massive Nintendo fanboy? Or massive PC elitist? Because my name is in Green? How very naive and shallow of you.  "
    Thanks, dude.  I love you, too.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cjmabry said:
    Meh, I'm not looking at shadows while I'm racing, and games are more than how many polygons we can fit on screen. And besides, the best sim racers on PC look like garbage - it's the gameplay that matters. rFactor ftw! "
    Darn.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jasondaplock
    @xyzygy said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    Now you're just spouting nonsense because you have no idea what to say. Nice. At least now I have something to back myself up with when I say I can't take you serious in the future. And where the hell did the Microsoft thing come from? Who's to say that I'm not a massive Nintendo fanboy? Or massive PC elitist? Because my name is in Green? How very naive and shallow of you.  "
    Your name is green because you wanted the world to know that you are a Microsoft fanboy. If you don't want to give that impression, you should probably take it off or at least stop being so neurotic in other people's blogs; it's rude either way.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy
    @jasondaplock:

Exactly what have I said in this thread that makes you think I'm a Microsoft fanboy? In fact I clearly stated earlier that Uncharted 2 has some of the best visuals I've ever seen and that it's wrong to expect anything more because they're just that good. Now tell me how in hell does that make me a Microsoft fanboy? By your logic, everyone on this site with a color in their name is a massive fanboy of that respective company. Don't be such a tool. And I'm not being neurotic, I just don't like being treated like a lesser being or being treated with contempt.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By weltal

As far as the game part of the game goes I'm having a blast, but as someone who was obsessed with customizing the appearance of his car in Forza I'm super bummed to be so limited. I'm also missing the ability to rewind, which was really helpful when learning tracks with new cars and such. Still, It's pretty fantastic so far.

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jasondaplock
    @Weltal said:
    " As far as the game part of the game goes I'm having a blast, but as someone who was obsessed with customizing the appearance of his car in Forza I'm super bummed to be so limited. I'm also missing the ability to rewind, which was really helpful when learning tracks with new cars and such. Still, It's pretty fantastic so far. "
    The game is still intact, I just want the little things to work better 

@xyzygy
    said:
    " @jasondaplock:

Exactly what have I said in this thread that makes you think I'm a Microsoft fanboy? In fact I clearly stated earlier that Uncharted 2 has some of the best visuals I've ever seen and that it's wrong to expect anything more because they're just that good. Now tell me how in hell does that make me a Microsoft fanboy? By your logic, everyone on this site with a color in their name is a massive fanboy of that respective company. Don't be such a tool. And I'm not being neurotic, I just don't like being treated like a lesser being or being treated with contempt.

"
    Your tag is green. That makes you a Microsoft fanboy. My tag is black. That makes me a PC fanboy. That is what the color means. I don't hate fanboys; I hate people who viciously defend themselves against the criticisms of others. And calling people "tools" is neurotic behavior if I've ever seen it.

Your livelihood is not a product of hierarchical supremacy on the internet. Relax. Feel free to contribute, but most importantly, relax.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By meteora

Well... 

Does the game work functionally well? The driving is what counts.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By mike
    @Meteora said:
    " Well...  Does the game work functionally well? The driving is what counts. "
    The driving is great...unfortunately, the rest of the game is a pile of hot garbage. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Bouke
    @jasondaplock:
    Wow, whats with all the fanboys commenting on this blog post!? You even got a PC gamer to respond! 

On topic; i fully agree with your post, i haven't been into the GT series (except the GT PSP i own) and have only played the previous game it at friends. But i do like these kinds of games; and i really enjoy the Forza games a lot. So i was pretty excited for GT5 to come out, i even pre-ordered it and was pretty bummed it was delayed. Fortunately the delay wasn't long and i picked it up on tuesday and jumped right in (after the install). 

Being unfamilair with GT ment i ran into the problem you're describing; i wanted to do the FR cup in beginner and bought a sweet Mazda RX-7 Savanna only to struggle to get to third (after multiple tries), i thought upgrading it would help but the competition also got faster cars! Only after searching through menu's did i find which cars the opponents were driving and could i go back to the dealerships to buy the right car. The game would've benifited from either some kind of car level system ala Forza or just an option to filter out cars in the dealerships that you can use for each event.  

I also think the Premium cars thing backfired on Polyphony, who really tried to push it as a feature (some reviews still see it that way; Destructoid). But that means the Standard cars should be of the level that we come to expect as gamers. Sure, some Standard models look great; but i've seen a bunch so far that look really bad! And that is a problem because when people talk about Polyphony they always mention the ammount of detail they put into their games. The driving the car part is great but i feel like PD dropped the ball on other parts of this game, which is a disapointment. 

I hear there is a patch in the works for the menu stuff and that should be out fast, so that will at least take one really frustrating thing out of the game!
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Azteck

Sigh, PC elitists..

And those are some massive load times, holy shit. I've never been a big racing fan, but I can enjoy them from time to time. But wow. And if that picture of the shadowing is accurate to the game.. also pretty bad. And also not because of hardware, thinking that is ridiculous.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Binman88
    @Bouke said:
    "Only after searching through menu's did i find which cars the opponents were driving and could i go back to the dealerships to buy the right car."
    No need to go searching. Each event has a little button beside it that says something like "usual opponents", which gives you a list of cars you can expect to race against. Pretty straightforward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.