GT5 Spec 2.0 and DLC coming October

#1 Edited by doejonathan (172 posts) -

Kaz Yamauchi announced a major update labeled Spec 2.0 is coming 3rd week of October, with DLC to be made available a week later. What this update contains and what kind of DLC we're talking about is still unknown. 

While I wouldn't mind a couple of new premium cars, the top priority for me (and perhaps Giant Bombs GT5 race night crew as well) are new tracks, lot's of 'em. Kaz' twitter.  

Edit: corrected the date.
#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

This is interesting.

#3 Posted by Maluvin (259 posts) -

Did they ever add mid-race saves for the endurance races?

#4 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -
@Maluvin said:

well if they ever do that it would kinda defeat the purpose, that's why it's called endurance race.
#5 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1084 posts) -

@onarum said:

@Maluvin said:

well if they ever do that it would kinda defeat the purpose, that's why it's called endurance race.

They will do it anyway.

btw you don't need to complete the endurance races(in A-Spec), i have the Platinum trophy and i've never touched the 24h races in A-Spec.

#6 Posted by Maluvin (259 posts) -

@onarum said:

@Maluvin said:

Sort of. In real life 24 hours endurance races you don't have a single person stuck behind the wheel for 24 hours because it's a test of a team (with drivers periodically swapping out) and the durability of the car. Even if you want to be an ultrapurist about single driver you shouldn't be able to pause either.

Enabling save game doesn't break the fact that pit stops result in you falling behind in time against the CPU drivers and the need to balance risky driving and the potential for damaging your vehicle.

#7 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -
@Maluvin: Yeah you make a good point, btw I have no idea whether they did address that in any way or not, haven't played GT5 for a long time, I played for a good 20 hours or so but never touched the crazy 24 hour stuff.
#8 Edited by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

I think mid race saves will be in the Spec II update.

Anyway I am excited for it. I hope it totally refreshes the game. New menus and all that. Just in time for Forza 4. My attention will be devided!!!(about 30/70 favoring forza)

#9 Posted by martian_dogman (13 posts) -

heres a list of the new stuff in spec II:

• Simplified interior views added to all standard cars.
  • User control of the weather change feature.
  • Settings sheet which allows you to save multiple car settings.
  • New Spec 2.0 opening movie.
  • Improved UI response and usability.
  • Replay forward/rewind.
  • Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
  • Expanded online lounge features (narrowing down car types, shuffle races…).
  • Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).
  • Added “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel.
  • Added 11 new 2011 NASCAR models.
  • Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours).
  • Improved physics and artificial intelligence.
  • Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel.
#10 Posted by handlas (2552 posts) -

glad there is an interior view for all cars...wonder if they will look crummy tho

#11 Posted by MightyDuck (1441 posts) -

I've been thinking about trading this in, but maybe this will hold me over.

I was a huge fan of GT3, but for some reason I feel like I hit a wall with GT5. After completing the 1st and 2nd stage races, I began having lots of trouble with spinning out, and not being able to finish tracks. The level grind sort of got to me as well.

#12 Edited by Gunharp (336 posts) -

All the info was put up ont he PlayStation.Blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gran-turismo-5-new-free-updates-dlc-and-price-drop/

I wonder if the timing for this announcement was intentionally supposed to be in sync with Forza 4's release. As I would have rather had this update sooner.

@Devil240Z: @Maluvin:

Mid race saving is confirmed!

I hope Giant Bomb revisits the game or puts up a news post about the Spec 2 update. GT5 was never the pile of shit that a lot of posters on this site think it is. Its a bummer that not more people are impressed or aware of how Polyphony Digital has supported GT5. That kind of stuff should be applauded...sure its not on the level of Valve, but they are not mending something broken with incremental updates either (like with the valiant efforts of the developers working on FFXIV). Yes there will be DLC now but I've been happy with the constant updates. A lot more than I am right now about the season pass stuff with Forza 4, I'm already getting the LCE edition to get the "full" game. Christ!

#13 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -

@Gunharp said:

All the info was put up ont he PlayStation.Blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gran-turismo-5-new-free-updates-dlc-and-price-drop/

I wonder if the timing for this announcement was intentionally supposed to be in sync with Forza 4's release. As I would have rather had this update sooner.

@Devil240Z: @Maluvin:

Mid race saving is confirmed!

I hope Giant Bomb revisits the game or puts up a news post about the Spec 2 update. GT5 was never the pile of shit that a lot of posters on this site think it is. Its a bummer that not more people are impressed or aware of how Polyphony Digital has supported GT5. That kind of stuff should be applauded...sure its not on the level of Valve, but they are not mending something broken with incremental updates either (like with the valiant efforts of the developers working on FFXIV). Yes there will be DLC now but I've been happy with the constant updates. A lot more than I am right now about the season pass stuff with Forza 4, I'm already getting the LCE edition to get the "full" game. Christ!

Indeed

@martian_dogman said:

heres a list of the new stuff in spec II:

• Simplified interior views added to all standard cars.
  • User control of the weather change feature.
  • Settings sheet which allows you to save multiple car settings.
  • New Spec 2.0 opening movie.
  • Improved UI response and usability.
  • Replay forward/rewind.
  • Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
  • Expanded online lounge features (narrowing down car types, shuffle races…).
  • Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).
  • Added “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel.
  • Added 11 new 2011 NASCAR models.
  • Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours).
  • Improved physics and artificial intelligence.
  • Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel.

About fucking time for the rewind stuff

#14 Posted by Sander (405 posts) -

When I come home, the update better be ready for download or else! (else = Forz4 purchase)

#15 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (921 posts) -

@Sander: The update is tomorrow, but you can get a free Red Bull X2010 and an easy seasonal race for 5 mill to celebrate Vettel becoming the f1 champion today.

#16 Posted by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -

So, another gig download?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.