Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Having trouble with the Intermediate Top Gear Special Event

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Binman88

Anyone else finding it difficult to manoeuvre the Elise 111R around this track? I'm using standard physics, manual gears and no assists, and for the life of me I can't make a competitive effort at this track without spinning out. I can gain one position and hold it by being super-careful around the track (ie. slow), but it seems one tiny slip up in this car will fuck you over. It feels like a totally different car to the one in GT5P that I could fairly easily throw into corners. The car is a mid-engine, rear wheel drive, so it will always have a tendency to push the back out if you're not careful (despite being a fairly light car), but I can't seem to figure out the right amount of counter-steer without over-compensating and spinning out, or under-compensating and going straight off the track or staying on it but losing too much speed. 

Am I alone in this instance, and just need to learn to master the car, or is everyone else having similar difficulties?

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Obsidian

It's pretty much impossible without assists.  I turned some on and still went pretty drift heavy and was able to do pretty well on occasions where it didn't disqualify me for the slightest nudge on a CPU car.  I actually got within a tenth of a second of winning it but raged after that.  I really don't think it's worth it.  Come back to it later.

SILIK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SILIK

You need to drive it like you drove the go-carts. Steer gently and more power means more grip. Elise is, like you said fairly light car, actually it's really light. So you need to have some speed to get the downforce for the rear. If you have some troubles with the race, maybe you should  try to stay behind for a few seconds, so that you can drive a lap without worrying about the other drivers. Learn the feel of the car. Once you get used to it, Elise is amazing car, which goes around the track like on rails.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By lutonhatter

I've struggled, put it down to my like of skills, and will come back to it. Just like gold for the VW and all the gran tour stuff and that nascar guy a go put cones where the sun don't shine. I'll come back to it when I'm better.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Binman88

Thanks for the replies guys. 

@SILIK: Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is, I went straight into this after blazing through the beginner and intermediate karting races, so I thought the influence they had on my driving might have been to blame. I see what you mean though, and I'm gonna give it a few more tries before calling it quits!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

I still cant beat the bus...-_-

SILIK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SILIK

I just went through it again and this time saved the replay. So...if you like, you can add me as your friend (SILIK-Fi) and see how I did it. I think you should be able to download it from my profile...or atleast I hope so.

It's not the prettiest two laps, few mistakes here and there. On the first lap I messed up in the Chicago and on the both laps in second to last corner it came really close for disqualification. Also I did win with something like 0,012 seconds to spare :D. All the settings in the car was as it were, none has been changed. ABS 1 and Traction Control I think was on 5.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chubbaluphigous
    @KaosAngel said:

" I still cant beat the bus...-_- "

The bus one was full of fucking assholes.  The other busses would ram me every chance they got.  I was disqualified far and away more times because the AI knocked me out, than I messed up myself.  But I finally did it.

Tips:  Shift 2 to 3 at 32mph and 3 to 4 at 50mph
    Be in 9th when coming out of the turn before hammerhead.
    In hammerhead, you can kind of cut the corner ass long as you don't hit a cone. 
    Approach hammerhead on the right side, and come out of hammerhead in 7th. You need to be right on the ass of 6th
    Enter the follow through on the left side and pass.
    Be in 5th as you turn into Gambon.

I saved my replay and can send it to you.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Binman88
    @SILIK said:
    " I just went through it again and this time saved the replay. So...if you like, you can add me as your friend (SILIK-Fi) and see how I did it. I think you should be able to download it from my profile...or atleast I hope so.  It's not the prettiest two laps, few mistakes here and there. On the first lap I messed up in the Chicago and on the both laps in second to last corner it came really close for disqualification. Also I did win with something like 0,012 seconds to spare :D. All the settings in the car was as it were, none has been changed. ABS 1 and Traction Control I think was on 5. "
    Awesome, I'll add you now and see if I can grab it from your profile.  

One thing I noticed was the grayed out option for ASM in Driving options before you start the race. Turns out I was actually able to enable it during the race using the buttons on my DFGT wheel. Was too much of a hassle though to keep switching it on at the start of the race, while also shifting to third and maintaining the driving line behind the car in front so I decided it wasn't worth it. Also it felt too much like cheating :p 

@KaosAngel: Be aggressive in the bus. I think. I can't remember exactly how I raced that one, but it didn't take many tries to beat it. I think once you realise what you're allowed to get away with, it becomes a lot clearer/easier. I assume you're using manual gears - if so, late breaking and feathering the throttle in a low gear works wonders for overtaking on the inside on that track in particular. Not so much with the Elise though, feathering a low gear just spins you the hell out :(
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Jackel2072

yes this one is a bitch. i finshed 5th  and am now working on first. as for the car spinning out, it is squirly as fuck. you need to break in a straight line to avoid spinning out. im using a racing wheel so i can hold some of the slides every so offten. to place high you need to break late in almost every turn. you are rarely going to over take on the straights. on the first turn pass on the inside in 2nd gear. after you make the first turn dont bother shifting up to to 3rd. just red line and stay in 2nd. in Chicago pass on the inside again and drop down to 1st. coming out of Chicago do you best to stay on the inside. now on the straight coming into hammer head reach 4th gear stay on the right and break late, drop back down to 1st and take the turn.  coming up to the follow through be in 3rd gear. the best way is to take the turn slight and stay next to the cones. your going to have to slide a bit to get through it with any amount of speed. the same thing goes for the follow through it self only you should be able to make the turn in 4th, but again a slight power slide is needed and you need to cut the corner as close as you can. gambon  im still struggling with. again my attempts prove that you need to break way late into that turn. you should be able to pass 2 or 3 of them in gambon . and you should be able to make it in 2nd gear. il keep trying and if i manage first il post my video to try and show you what i mean. i hope this helps.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Sander

I usually race without assists but this Elise is a snap oversteer pile. Complete bullshit physics in play here...this game doesn't get too much right. 
    Here's how a real Elise handles 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmPjzeZFgtQ

Anyway, yeah I had to jack up the assists for this one to pass it. The problem with skipping this is that these Special events are by far the fastest way to progress. Going through the normal series' is painfully slow!

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88

Just a quick update on this - I finally managed to get gold in it, but with all the assists turned on :( Not sure how I'd do it without them, you have to be very aggressive, yet very careful not to hit any other drivers.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Red12b
    @Binman88:  
    Fuck really? all assists? to what?  

I fucking hate that Elise challenge 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
    @Red12b: Turned on skid recovery force and active steering. Then using the special in-game menu (activated using the DFGT wheel) turned on ASM, which is actually unavailable from the normal menu before the start of the race! It feels a bit like cheating since they clearly don't intend you to use it (hence why you can't select it before the race) but they apparently forgot to restrict it from that in-game menu. Also found that you can actually go straight through the cones at some points to overtake - particularly the 4 or 5 cones on your right before approaching Chicago, and the cones on the left as you exit Chicago onto the straight towards the Hammerhead.
    Twist3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twist3d

all of the topgear races are frustrating !!to the point where ive given up now really cant be assed with them lol

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Binman88 said:
    " Just a quick update on this - I finally managed to get gold in it, but with all the assists turned on :( Not sure how I'd do it without them, you have to be very aggressive, yet very careful not to hit any other drivers. "
    I managed to get Gold in this as well...by doing the exact opposite. I turned off ALL the assists (bar ABS on 1 and the driving line 'cause I get lost) and went with automatic gearbox. You sort of have to cheese your way around it really, in my case you sort of have to throw yourself into the corners whilst power sliding on a few of them. I saved a replay in case anyone wants to see it. 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Binman88
    @eroticfishcake: Nice. I'd go back in and try it without any assists, but I'd probably end up breaking something.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Binman88: It's silly but it works. You should be in 4th place just as you finish the first lap if you do it right.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skunk
    @Sander said:
    " I usually race without assists but this Elise is a snap oversteer pile. Complete bullshit physics in play here...this game doesn't get too much right.  Here's how a real Elise handles  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmPjzeZFgtQ  Anyway, yeah I had to jack up the assists for this one to pass it. The problem with skipping this is that these Special events are by far the fastest way to progress. Going through the normal series' is painfully slow! "
    lol did you even watch the video? It pretty much showed that even Jeremy couldn't drive that car properly and of course the second guy knew how to drive it, he's the friggin CHASSIS ENGINEER. I also like how you call the physics bullshit because you don't fully understand all of it. The reason this car is a handful is becuase its on Comfort Tires as apposed to the usual Sport set that it should be riding on. It's not the games fault if you're not adjusting accordingly. It makes for some tense driving and I love it. Took a bunch of tries but I managed to Gold it with no assists, just ABS 1.

For anyone that actually wants to pass, @Jackel2072 posted some really helpful tips.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Binman88 said:
    " @eroticfishcake: Nice. I'd go back in and try it without any assists, but I'd probably end up breaking something. "
    When I'm driving, I find that any light or high-powered RWD car requires me to turn TCS to 1, and I usually leave ABS at 1 otherwise the game has a ball of a time with skidding, but all other assists are off. However, for all the challenges, I've been going AT, TCS 3, SRF, ASM, ABS 10. They're just not fun. At all.
    Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sander
    @skunk said:

" @Sander said:

" I usually race without assists but this Elise is a snap oversteer pile. Complete bullshit physics in play here...this game doesn't get too much right.  Here's how a real Elise handles  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmPjzeZFgtQ  Anyway, yeah I had to jack up the assists for this one to pass it. The problem with skipping this is that these Special events are by far the fastest way to progress. Going through the normal series' is painfully slow! "
    lol did you even watch the video? It pretty much showed that even Jeremy couldn't drive that car properly and of course the second guy knew how to drive it, he's the friggin CHASSIS ENGINEER. I also like how you call the physics bullshit because you don't fully understand all of it. The reason this car is a handful is becuase its on Comfort Tires as apposed to the usual Sport set that it should be riding on. It's not the games fault if you're not adjusting accordingly. It makes for some tense driving and I love it. Took a bunch of tries but I managed to Gold it with no assists, just ABS 1.

For anyone that actually wants to pass, @Jackel2072 posted some really helpful tips. "

However much I don't fully understand the physics, it's on record that you understand even less. If you've actually played the Elise Top Gear event and seen that youtube clip, I question if you even have eyes. 

Clarkson continuously talks about the cars' understeer, complaining about it, demonstrating it etc. If it wasn't for the engineer from Lotus, you would never see the back end step out- he has to literally force out the back end with aggressive faint motion AND even when the back end is out, it's only regressive oversteer meaning that whatever he does, the back end quickly comes back in line. 
    The Stig pushes a really fast lap on a wet track and not once do you see the oversteer that you experience every moment in GT5's Elise.
    If the physics model in GT5 were true, then the only explanation about the characteristics of the Elise is that it was intentionally set up to an almost drift setting. But it's not.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By skunk
    @Sander said:

" @skunk said:

" @Sander said:

For anyone that actually wants to pass, @Jackel2072 posted some really helpful tips. "
     However much I don't fully understand the physics, it's on record that you understand even less. If you've actually played the Elise Top Gear event and seen that youtube clip, I question if you even have eyes.   Clarkson continuously talks about the cars' understeer, complaining about it, demonstrating it etc. If it wasn't for the engineer from Lotus, you would never see the back end step out- he has to literally force out the back end with aggressive faint motion AND even when the back end is out, it's only regressive oversteer meaning that whatever he does, the back end quickly comes back in line.  The Stig pushes a really fast lap on a wet track and not once do you see the oversteer that you experience every moment in GT5's Elise. If the physics model in GT5 were true, then the only explanation about the characteristics of the Elise is that it was intentionally set up to an almost drift setting. But it's not. "
    blah blah blah, you either skimmed my post or i question if you even have eyes. It's on record that you need shiny things to pay attention. Here it is again so you don't get distracted: 

"The reason this car is a handful is because it's on --->COMFORT TIRES<--- as apposed to the usual Sport set that it should be riding on"

Feel free to keep talking down to me though, it's very amusing.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

I managed to get a Gold trophy on the buses, it was almost impossible but I did it. I also came in Second on the Elise one but that wasn't good enough, I need Gold. He was RIGHT in front of me. I'm not sure if any assists were on I have no idea how to even do it, but my only advice is to not rush yourself and take them over on the turns. The driving line is a must because it tells you perfectly when to brake, don't try to follow the line though i found if you deviate from the line a little you'll get better times.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Bouke

My best result so far was second place; i found the Lotus Elise impossible to drive without assists! Had to turn a bunch on to get silver and haven't tried to get the gold after that. The VW bus challenge was a lot easier since the bus has actual handling. The Lotus will just spin out every chance it gets; stupid car = stupid challenge.
    1000shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By 1000shoes

omg I thought the bus challenge was hard, the lotus is kicking my ass. I must gold though. What assists are you guys using?

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sander
    @skunk said:
    " @Sander said:

" @skunk said:

" @Sander said:

However much I don't fully understand the physics, it's on record that you understand even less. If you've actually played the Elise Top Gear event and seen that youtube clip, I question if you even have eyes.   Clarkson continuously talks about the cars' understeer, complaining about it, demonstrating it etc. If it wasn't for the engineer from Lotus, you would never see the back end step out- he has to literally force out the back end with aggressive faint motion AND even when the back end is out, it's only regressive oversteer meaning that whatever he does, the back end quickly comes back in line.  The Stig pushes a really fast lap on a wet track and not once do you see the oversteer that you experience every moment in GT5's Elise. If the physics model in GT5 were true, then the only explanation about the characteristics of the Elise is that it was intentionally set up to an almost drift setting. But it's not. "
    blah blah blah, you either skimmed my post or i question if you even have eyes. It's on record that you need shiny things to pay attention. Here it is again so you don't get distracted: 

"The reason this car is a handful is because it's on --->COMFORT TIRES<--- as apposed to the usual Sport set that it should be riding on"

Feel free to keep talking down to me though, it's very amusing. "

Out of all the things you listed, that's your prevailing point now? And I did indirectly address it with my comment about the car being set up for drifting. I guess you didn't understand so lemme dumb it down a notch: The grip on the tires is relative front to back. Meaning that all 4 tires have less grip, not just the rears. Meaning that the car is less able to turn in as sharply, therefore less able to kick out the rear end and get understeer.
    Your argument could only make sense if only the rear tires were comfort tires and the fronts were something better. 
    And I don't need to keep talking down to you- you started it, I've finished it.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By skunk
    @Sander said:
    " @skunk said:
    " @Sander said:

" @skunk said:

" @Sander said:

Feel free to keep talking down to me though, it's very amusing. "
    Out of all the things you listed, that's your prevailing point now? And I did indirectly address it with my comment about the car being set up for drifting. I guess you didn't understand so lemme dumb it down a notch: The grip on the tires is relative front to back. Meaning that all 4 tires have less grip, not just the rears. Meaning that the car is less able to turn in as sharply, therefore less able to kick out the rear end and get understeer.Your argument could only make sense if only the rear tires were comfort tires and the fronts were something better.  And I don't need to keep talking down to you- you started it, I've finished it. "
    hahahaha your last comment shows just how mature you really are. Anyways, we're clearly not going to settle this, I still think i'm right and you'll still think you're right so let's stop shitting on this guys thread. Back to enjoying GT5.
    gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunharp

I have golds in both events without getting help : ) Currently the only special event that gives me trouble is the AMG school. Yet to settle on Bronze for anything but not using a wheel is starting to hurt me.

So here is my hel for the second event Top Gear event: 

I hate the handling of the Lotus, you gotta be gentle given the power, weight, and short wheel base. So I turned traction control to 7, ASM on mild, ABS 1 and stepped on that throttle like there was no tomorrow. It's not like this is a race prepped machine, so why not use modern technology to get through the traffic? 

The point is to place first not achieve the best lap time, so play dirty if you have to.  

I stay in third through Wilson and get my first pass on the inside, and go way to fast on my way to chicago. Hard break and down shift to second for chicago and take the inside getting into 9th or 7th place at this point. Now get on the inside and break later than every other car before entering the hammer head, stay in second and probably trade paint with the car that is in 5th or 6th place. Now play it safe on the follow-through, and you should be hitting 100+ mph on the bentley straight, the game allows you to be way inside so break late, shift down to third and turn in hard on the bacharach, shift down to 2nd and get as many passes as possible on the inside line. You should be in at least 5th place at this point if not 4th. Now that your out of the traffic you should be able to finish first by passing the last lotus on the bentley straight or turning into the bacharach section.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.