Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Level Based Unlocks vs. License Based Unlocks

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Now that GT5 has been out for a couple weeks, and has sold a few million units...and now that people have had the time to sit down and really play it. 

I've been thinking about how events and cars are unlocked.  Frankly, I'd rather have the old License based system back rather than the level based.  GT5's grind is too big and too long, and the fact that Endurance Races are unlocked at level 25 rather than unlocking once you get the IA License is messed up.  

So, after playing for a while...what do you guys think?  Do you like the level based or would rather have the old License based system back?

The following list is the XP requirements in GT5: 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

I would have preferred more licence tests (or the same amount of tests, but more difficult), with each licence unlocking new events. It makes more sense that way - gaining the licence to take part in said events. The whole idea of levelling, to me, doesn't really apply all that well to a driving game - licences are just more logical.

crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By crunchmonkey

I like the EXP system in theory but it's complely broken as it is now. The requirements for entry in the later events is ridiculous. I'm currently level 27 of 40 and I'm already having to grind races over and over to gain EXP. PD need to either add more events to GT Mode or lower the amount of EXP required for each level... preferably both. 

It's actually pretty atrocious how short the career mode is. All I have left to do is one race series (Formula GT), some endurace races and the X1 Prototype Challenges... oh, and the abortion that is B-Spec mode. With the EXP system as it is now though, I will likely never unlock all of those events due to the insane amount of grinding required to unlock them.

I really hope PD continue to support this game with meaningful patches and new content. As of now, I hate that I like this game as much as I do.
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cameron

License tests were the only thing I didn't like about past GT games, so I definitely wouldn't want more of those. XP based leveling is fine, they just need lower the amount required to level up as you get further in the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

The problem with License unlocks is that sooner or later, some people are just going to hit a wall when it comes to the license tests.  Some of them can be real bastards and not everyone may have the patience to complete them all.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Binman88
    @Hailinel: That's a fair point. Currently there's ten tests per licence - perhaps if they made the individual tests slightly more difficult, but added more of them, with the player only having to pass X number of tests out of Y to gain the licence? It might make them more accessible, while remaining challenging, with some sort of extra incentive to complete all of them - even if at a later date.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

GT5 is my first gran turismo game. i'm only level 10 now but i think there are a lot of EXP needed to level. from what this thread it sounds like they need to lower the exp needed to level. inorder to get gold it is a bitch to do on some. i am setting my goal for silver right now. i have a few golds that were easy but still. some golds are easy while others are hard to get. back to getting EXP there are a lot of races there.

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kiwi_whisker

I never had a problem with license based unlocks, and it seemed a lot less arbitrary. I think the GT games could do a lot with a thin narrative to tie the levels together, like a pay scale or something. Licenses can be completed much sooner than the ridiculous amount of exp required to level up. Im level 15 now, and I need to get 100x more exp to max? Geez! I want the damage now! I swear Im a good enough driver, I just dont have a bunch of spare time! :(

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By trace

The problem with a license system is that if somebody doesn't or can't finish a certain license, you permanently lock away content from them. With an XP unlock system, they'll at least be able to open up the events eventually.

It sounds like the problem here more than anything is that the level requirements for unlocking events is set a bit high, so that you have to grind a bit -- maybe through unique events, sure, but it's still a grind -- to get to the events you want to try. I had this issue with Gran Turismo 4, where I wanted to try endurance events practically right out of the gate, but by the time I opened them up, I was just about sick of the game. I think the leveling should instead be focused more on keeping you from jumping into an event before you'd have the financial capability of fielding a competitive car. If I can't afford a good car for an endurance race, set the level requirement to a point where I'd potentially have enough money.

License tests are just a mixed bag. I stormed through the tests in GT2 and 3 quite easily, but I never did get the top licenses in 1 or 4. Too much of a bothersome hassle.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

I like the XP system for the reasons that @PsEG has mentioned. 

There really should be more events to choose from in the early game, though. When I played it, I found myself in a spot where I ran out of races that I could do with my current cars, and I had to grind races I'd already done. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but that's how it played out for me.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @JJWeatherman: If you're getting golds on the specials when you unlock them, you should be able to jump a level or two.  Also a new tree opens up at 25, and then another at 30, then after all that you unlock the 24 hour Nurburgring once you hit the 40 cap.  There's also a special GT Academy Event that opens up on the 20th of December too.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devil240Z

I am surprised that they managed to implement a system worse than licenses.  
    the level system is completely broken.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Hailinel: That's a fair point. Currently there's ten tests per licence - perhaps if they made the individual tests slightly more difficult, but added more of them, with the player only having to pass X number of tests out of Y to gain the licence? It might make them more accessible, while remaining challenging, with some sort of extra incentive to complete all of them - even if at a later date. "
    Well thats like a classic european style of progression for racing games. Get a certain amount of the available points to unlock the next tier of content. I think something like that would work well for this.  
    PD should have really played other racing games to see what works well. (unless they did and just ignored it all)
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
    @Devil240Z: Asides from gaining inspiration from other games, they should have used common sense in a lot of cases too, and tried to actually innovate. For what it is, I do love the game; but with all the systems, deals and partnerships they already have in place, they could have done so much more with it. Take for example the addition of Nascar this time round. It's not very well integrated at all and the voice over stuff is abysmal. If you watch the behind the scenes video with Jeff Gordon, he actually seems genuinely excited about the inclusion of his sport, and seems willing to offer his insight. Perhaps they should have shot some live-action stuff with him just talking naturally, instead of the dull voice over crap we ended up with, because he says far more interesting stuff in that clip than in the entire game. I dunno, there just seems to be so much potential behind racing games that no one has been able to incorporate thus far. The Gran Turismo series has everything in place (including that massive budget) to be able to build a truly great game, but they just don't seem to care about going a step further. I have to wonder if the higher-ups, and Kazunoru himself, are preventing Polyphony from taking any real risks with the series. 

Rant over.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Devil240Z: Asides from gaining inspiration from other games, they should have used common sense in a lot of cases too, and tried to actually innovate. For what it is, I do love the game; but with all the systems, deals and partnerships they already have in place, they could have done so much more with it. Take for example the addition of Nascar this time round. It's not very well integrated at all and the voice over stuff is abysmal. If you watch the behind the scenes video with Jeff Gordon, he actually seems genuinely excited about the inclusion of his sport, and seems willing to offer his insight. Perhaps they should have shot some live-action stuff with him just talking naturally, instead of the dull voice over crap we ended up with, because he says far more interesting stuff in that clip than in the entire game. I dunno, there just seems to be so much potential behind racing games that no one has been able to incorporate thus far. The Gran Turismo series has everything in place (including that massive budget) to be able to build a truly great game, but they just don't seem to care about going a step further. I have to wonder if the higher-ups, and Kazunoru himself, are preventing Polyphony from taking any real risks with the series.  Rant over. "
    Agree 100%. I love the game.  But I don't think any of the licensed motorsports are used to even 1% of their potential.  
    Like the way there are the different levels of races. Bigenner, Expert, Extreme, ect. There should be whole categories dedicated to WRC, Super GT, Nascar and whatever else they have.  

Like those GT Rally events are awesome but I wish there were like 100 more of them, which wouldn't be hard since they're randomly generated...  
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Cameron said:
    " License tests were the only thing I didn't like about past GT games, so I definitely wouldn't want more of those. XP based leveling is fine, they just need lower the amount required to level up as you get further in the game. "
    This. The grind is getting ridiculous, and I'm only at level 19.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.