Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Loading times or strange UI lag

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By psylah

I've run into several "GT" loading screens that stick for several minutes, while just moving between menu screens. Not to mention, when booting the game up and getting to the title screen to select the game mode, it takes nearly a minute for your select cursor to even show up, even after the background scene has loaded.

My PS3 isn't that old, it's a 60gb, and I did the full install on first boot.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

P.S.: This entire post was typed during a "GT" loading screen.

***EDIT***:  
    It's a problem with GT5 trying to contact the GT servers.

We found that just unplugging the ethernet cable or disabling the internet connection (if you use wireless) helps. It seems that if GT sees the PS3 is not connected to the internet in the first place, it doesn't bother attempting to contact the servers. Cuts down on the "GT" loading screen time immensely. 

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mrskidders

Launch day problems.  Should iron out soon enough or im sure they will have to patch it straight away.  You think they would have had enough time to sort it all out.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Likelihood is that it is your PS3/Copy of the game, I've been laying solidly since I got home and it's not stuck a single time.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By psylah

Maybe it is my PS3, I should also mention that the initial install timer stated it would take 30 minutes, and after an hour it was still installing.

I don't have any junk on my PS3, I wonder what's gone bad.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lutonhatter
    @psylah said:
    " Maybe it is my PS3, I should also mention that the initial install timer stated it would take 30 minutes, and after an hour it was still installing.  I don't have any junk on my PS3, I wonder what's gone bad. "

Well before you said this I was going to just say, sign-off PSN and then you won't have to wait on any communication between the server than you. But from the above quote maybe your PS3's laser is on the way out. The install isn't too good at predicting how long it will take, for me it said 20 minutes for most of it and took 38. But an hour does sound a lot. 

But sign-out of PSN and if that solves it put it down to first day issues.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeJerk

Guy with an OG fatty PS3 on another place reports similar behaviour, like his HD is getting old and clunky. The PS3 HD file system is FAT32 derived, if there was a way for scandisk and defrag to work that would do the trick

edit: Maybe not, guess it is about the connectivity and the server being overloaded since logging out of PSN fixes it

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @psylah: Yeah I've been getting this too though they haven't been too long for me. I think you could another install that can reduce load times. Think I saw it in the Utilities section in the options menu. I didn't really look at it but the install time was pretty damn long.
    Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Having same problems (apart from installation), I have new slim version. It might be connection problem to servers... Lets hope that they patch the load times.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By psylah

I deleted the GT5 install, and when I restarted GT5, I got the patch but got an error when trying to get the EULA stating a "Connection to Server could not be established". So I guess it IS at least partially a server issue. 

In the meantime, running it straight off the disc.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

It's constantly checking the server if you're online. 

Don't worry about it too much.  It's making checks for the browser mode site, and whatnot.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Jackel2072

yeah same thing is happening to me. the funny thing is i didn't have to problem until today. last night the menus and the cursor were working fine.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By White_Silhouette

Reminds me of the LBP issues when it first launched. I'd play offline right now if you can.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By psylah

"  Whenever you get the silver GT sign in the middle of the screen, that is a network load. The reason that screen takes (sometimes several minutes) is because it can't communicate with the server. There really needs to be a cut off point at which it just gives up, and if there already is, then it needs to be much sooner.  "

Pulled this from a user on the GT forums. This seems to be my issue. and it explains why those of you playing before today had no issues. They must be experiencing a serious load of network traffic from GT5.
    ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ObsideonDarman

Yeah the same things are happening to me but I'm sure they are nothing but Launch Day woes.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raineko

There are loading screens, but minutes long? Didn´t experience this.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lutonhatter
    @somejerk said:
    " Guy with an OG fatty PS3 on another place reports similar behaviour, like his HD is getting old and clunky. The PS3 HD file system is FAT32 derived, if there was a way for scandisk and defrag to work that would do the trick "

Oh don't say that, it is a pet peeve of mine when people talk such nonsense. The PS3 doesn't use FAT32 or any variation thereof for its internal hard drive it uses UFS2 (Thats  Unix File System) which is robust file system used from small computer to super computers with out the need of scandisk or defrag.

However it cannot read from NTFS (I hope this has changed, and if it has no one told me :) ) which is why if you are using a large external storage device you have to make sure it is formatted FAT32 etc. and not NTFS

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By psylah

Quick update: "GT" screens are going by much faster now, 6-8 seconds.

Guess the network issue has been resolved...

FOR NOW.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By George_Hukas
    @psylah: I'm on a brand new 320gb system and am still experiencing issues after installing :/ ..I made the mistake of selecting GT TV and it completely locked up
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very, very, janky so far. I've had to quit out of the game four or five times already. One measly arcade race under my belt.

My 60 gb launch model has never given trouble, I really don't think it's starting now. Not all of a sudden.

Sloppy work. Not pleased.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By mike
    @DanceDanceKennypants: Yeah...I've been at "40 seconds remaining" on my install screen for about 15 minutes now. Hard drive light is going crazy. 

Should I wait? Cancel and try again? Who knows!? I'll probably give it ten more minutes and then try to cancel it out. I've been trying to play for over an hour now.
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: 

Wait it out. It took a good fifteen minutes for that 40 second remaining message to finish up.

The 3 seconds remaining indicator should last no more than two or three minutes. I promise.

And for goodness' sake, do not click on GTTV.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By mike

I hate to make this comparison, but I'm used to playing games on my 360 or PC and just having them work, maybe after a 5-minute optional install on the 360 at the most. This is ridiculous. I hope the experience gets better when I actually start playing the game.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By psylah

The timer for the install IS completely jacked, best to wait it out.

@DanceDanceKennypants said:

" Very, very, janky so far. I've had to quit out of the game four or five times already. One measly arcade race under my belt. My 60 gb launch model has never given trouble, I really don't think it's starting now. Not all of a sudden.  Sloppy work. Not pleased. "

I found that just unplugging the ethernet cable or disabling the internet connection (if you use wireless) helps. It seems that if GT sees the PS3 is not connected to the internet in the first place, it doesn't bother attempting to contact the servers. Cuts down on the "GT" loading screen time immensely.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Binman88

Man, you guys are having it rough. Apart from one 30 second pause going into GT mode earlier today, it's been nothing but smooth sailing for me!

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By ethan_raiden

I just want to confirm that this is an issue with the GT servers at the moment, if you're locking up on the black screen with the grey GT logo, that's when the game is trying to contact the servers. They need to add the ability to cut itself off if it doesnt happen soon enough, or if there is one in the game, it needs to cut off a lot sooner.

Edit: To fix, take your PS3 offline.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

yeah, there are loading problems. i just think it's first day launch type of stuff.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bouke

The loadtimes during the game are the worst; i'm only going through menu's and having to wait and look at a wavey GT logo for about a minute really frustrates me!
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By p_p_o_d
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bouke

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.