Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

My New... Race Car, That's It, Race Car

kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By kickahaota

My experience with Gran Turismo 5 tonight illustrates how inapproachable-and-yes-still-somehow-fun I'm finding it.  

Having reached A-spec level 9, and having sort of hit a wall in terms of what races I could field a competitive car for in the Amateur Series, I decide to double back and see if there are any interesting-looking races in the Beginners Series that I'd skipped. Okay, there's one... Japanese Classics. Open to Japanese cars from 1979 and earlier. Okay. Let's check my Garage... no, nothing there. 

Okay, so I'll have to find a car, hopefully a cheap car. But this being Gran Turismo V, it's not just going to say "Okay, here's all the cars that you can buy that will qualify for this race; pick one to buy." Oh, no. You have to go out and scour the dealerships. And given the nature of the race, even the dealerships weren't likely to be helpful, since most self-respecting car dealerships won't keep a car from the mid-70's on the lot. So, off to the Used Car Dealer. Let's see... any way to sort this list by year or by country? Of course not. What was I thinking? Okay, scroll, scroll, scroll... check the years, check the makes... Oh, look, here's one I can afford. A Subaru 360 '58, with barely 240000 miles on it. How much more Japanese Classic can you get? BUY. 

So, off to the tuning shop... and almost immediately I realize that there is trouble on the horizon. My bouncing blue arrival has a breathtaking... 18 horsepower. Yes, it has less power than my go-cart. But at this point, I'm feeling committed. I've bought this car to be a racing machine, and a racing machine it must be. So, a few strategic upgrades, and I've brought it up to a breathtaking... 28 HP. 

Hmm. This still seems somehow unconvincing. But I'm not prepared to lose hope yet. Maybe Japanese Classics were just really... really... quite slow. So, off to the track. And as I sit at the line, I feel a bit more of my confidence drain away. These other cars seem... larger. Their motors sound vaguely like actual motors, unlike my car, which sounds like a lawn mower with delusions of grandeur. And when the green light drops, the rest of the field rapidly recedes into the distance like a coalition of highly fuel-efficient cheetahs. 

But I have brought this car to race, and race I shall. And so, as the other cars screech through distant corners and jostle for position, I resolutely guide my three-speed missile around the track, reaching breathtaking speeds occasionally approaching an insane forty-nine miles per hour. And as I finally cross the finish line and collect my tenth-place prize, I imagine the tales that will someday be told of this race, and the driver who never gave up, and why he's no longer allowed on the grounds of Suzuka Circuit. 
    kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kickahaota

My experience with Gran Turismo 5 tonight illustrates how inapproachable-and-yes-still-somehow-fun I'm finding it.  

Having reached A-spec level 9, and having sort of hit a wall in terms of what races I could field a competitive car for in the Amateur Series, I decide to double back and see if there are any interesting-looking races in the Beginners Series that I'd skipped. Okay, there's one... Japanese Classics. Open to Japanese cars from 1979 and earlier. Okay. Let's check my Garage... no, nothing there. 

Okay, so I'll have to find a car, hopefully a cheap car. But this being Gran Turismo V, it's not just going to say "Okay, here's all the cars that you can buy that will qualify for this race; pick one to buy." Oh, no. You have to go out and scour the dealerships. And given the nature of the race, even the dealerships weren't likely to be helpful, since most self-respecting car dealerships won't keep a car from the mid-70's on the lot. So, off to the Used Car Dealer. Let's see... any way to sort this list by year or by country? Of course not. What was I thinking? Okay, scroll, scroll, scroll... check the years, check the makes... Oh, look, here's one I can afford. A Subaru 360 '58, with barely 240000 miles on it. How much more Japanese Classic can you get? BUY. 

So, off to the tuning shop... and almost immediately I realize that there is trouble on the horizon. My bouncing blue arrival has a breathtaking... 18 horsepower. Yes, it has less power than my go-cart. But at this point, I'm feeling committed. I've bought this car to be a racing machine, and a racing machine it must be. So, a few strategic upgrades, and I've brought it up to a breathtaking... 28 HP. 

Hmm. This still seems somehow unconvincing. But I'm not prepared to lose hope yet. Maybe Japanese Classics were just really... really... quite slow. So, off to the track. And as I sit at the line, I feel a bit more of my confidence drain away. These other cars seem... larger. Their motors sound vaguely like actual motors, unlike my car, which sounds like a lawn mower with delusions of grandeur. And when the green light drops, the rest of the field rapidly recedes into the distance like a coalition of highly fuel-efficient cheetahs. 

But I have brought this car to race, and race I shall. And so, as the other cars screech through distant corners and jostle for position, I resolutely guide my three-speed missile around the track, reaching breathtaking speeds occasionally approaching an insane forty-nine miles per hour. And as I finally cross the finish line and collect my tenth-place prize, I imagine the tales that will someday be told of this race, and the driver who never gave up, and why he's no longer allowed on the grounds of Suzuka Circuit. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I find this story incredibly hilarious. High five. My level nine purchase was a Camaro which I tuned to almost 700HP, and that weighs barely 1300KG. It is a beastly car.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

Haha, that was great. 

I had the same thing happen to me in that event. I took a grossly underpowered bomb to the track, clawing my way to first each lap only to be smoked at the straight. 

Since then I've learnt to check the typical opponents before entering a race.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

Wow, this exact same thing happened to me. 

When GT5 wants to play well, it does. When it doesn't, it really doesn't.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

Don't worry I did the exact same thing. Only my story ended with me shouting Fuck it and doing a bunch of special events to get more money and just used that money to do other events until some random ass reward car for filled that requirement.  

@LiquidPrince said:

" I find this story incredibly hilarious. High five. My level nine purchase was a Camaro which I tuned to almost 700HP, and that weighs barely 1300KG. It is a beastly car. "
    If yo think that;s beastly, I'll happily race you in my race cars that are under 1200kg min and over 700+bhp at least. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " Don't worry I did the exact same thing. Only my story ended with me shouting Fuck it and doing a bunch of special events to get more money and just used that money to do other events until some random ass reward car for filled that requirement.  

@LiquidPrince said:
    " I find this story incredibly hilarious. High five. My level nine purchase was a Camaro which I tuned to almost 700HP, and that weighs barely 1300KG. It is a beastly car. "
    If yo think that;s beastly, I'll happily race you in my race cars that are under 1200kg min and over 700+bhp at least.  "
    Well if they are under 1200KG you already have an advantage don't you?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @LiquidPrince: Damn, my sucker trap failed. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

Thanks for the laugh. That was really funny.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @StaticFalconar: Hehe... Although what I just realized, and it baffles me is how is the Veyron not considered a premium car?
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Haha, this story was hilarious. :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Haha yes! I know exactly what car you're talking about! 

If you can, find the Isuzu Bellet or the 117 Coupe. They're great for the Japanese AND World classic Beginner level. Well maybe not the 117 for World because one track has a long straightaway that even the Bellet caps out at but you'll gain time in the car's excellent handling around corners. I just happened to find one at the used dealership by total chance.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By subyman

Lol that happened to me too.  I liked how forza had engine swaps so you could make the older cars really good and competitive in higher level races.  The turbo upgrades in GT5 are incredibly weak as well.

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i believe you have given "I can't drive 55" a whole new meaning

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @LiquidPrince: Well as much R&D money they had they probably couldn't get one and have the time to model it. So unless you wanted more delays......... 

@subyman said:
    " Lol that happened to me too.  I liked how forza had engine swaps so you could make the older cars really good and competitive in higher level races.  The turbo upgrades in GT5 are incredibly weak as well. "
    It seems fitting. All turbo does is just push more air into the engine, to get max power, the engine has to be upgraded to be able to handle that extra combustion. I mean trying to put a turbo on something that has a turbo already means replacing it with a bigger one, not as big gains as something that had no turbo before. With full upgrades of engine and turbo I can still get my skyline from a mere 300hp to 700hp still. And yes I know irl some dude had a skyline of over 1000hp and claimed it to be reliable and stuff so it can be done, but honestly even at 700hp the skyline's chasis (prob only thing left after everything else was upgraded and replaced) just isn't as good as say the zonda which it would be competing against if comparing cars with similar HP. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Bouke

Good story; and yes you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the right car for a race, which is unfortunate!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @KickahaOta said:
    ...unlike my car, which sounds like a lawn mower with delusions of grandeur.
    Noice :)
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " Thanks for the laugh. That was really funny. "
    It really was... You're funny. 
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

Ha ha made me laugh
    kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kickahaota

Thanks so much for the kind comments and advice, everyone! Live and learn... :)
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By FrankCanada97

You should slap on some rally tires and try to do the Eiger Nordwand track!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Geno

A++ would read again

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I got a good laugh out of this. Thank you for that!

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Awesome! I feel almost obliged to do the exact same thing.

Someone should make a video with 'Eye of the Tiger' playing in the background.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sanity

Great post, i agree they really need a better way to organize cars in the used car lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.