Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Premium cars Vs Standard Cars

• 78 results
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Binman88 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind: Just a small clarification: a quick look at the official car list for Forza 3 shows a little over 400 cars, with a number of repeated models as well, like with GT (I count 5 M3s, 9 Corvettes and 17 Porsche 911s, for example).

What I don't get is the constant bickering about Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5. If you just have a 360, you're getting (or already own) Forza 3. If you only have a PS3, you're getting Gran Turismo 5. If you can't stand the sight of a standard car, and 200 (!) premium cars ain't enough for you, then don't buy the game, I guess. 

As for whether or not standard cars should even be an issue with people, it's really up to them and what they're coming to the game for. At the end of this video, you can see that some standard models don't look so hot under scrutiny, but during the race itself it's not an issue worth thinking about, especially for people who don't use exterior views (I'd assume that's the majority of people who are in any way serious about the game). "

If there are repeated models in Forza, it's certainly not to the same degree.  Not a huge expert on cars, but I didn't notice any duplicates while playing. 
    But it was simply a point I don't particularly like about GT, how they boast a huge amount of vehicles, but when it comes down to it, there actually isn't anywhere near as many as they make it seem. 

But wasn't trying to make a huge fanboy arguement and I don't think it's a big deal.  I own both systems.  And both games  ;)
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By onarum
    @Cyborgmatt said:
    " Standard is probably a bit of an overstatement.

"
    Wow, just wow..........................
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By KaosAngel
    @onarum: ...that's from GT4.  In GT5 all standard models have 3d rims, and the surfaces aren't flat like that.  Some guy used the same image on GT-Planet and people who own the game, shot him down quick. 

On topic: 

GT PSP had cockpit view for all cars, it lacked a wheel and crap...but it still had one.  Why couldn't they do that with the standard models?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By ProfessorEss

Personally I'd like to see the "number of cars" quick-marketing bullet point disappear.
    At some point I think we have to say car counting has lost all meaning.

I think they should all agree to just put "hundreds of cars" on the back of their packages from now on and focus on other stuff.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By onarum
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @onarum: ...that's from GT4.  In GT5 all standard models have 3d rims, and the surfaces aren't flat like that.  Some guy used the same image on GT-Planet and people who own the game, shot him down quick.  On topic:  GT PSP had cockpit view for all cars, it lacked a wheel and crap...but it still had one.  Why couldn't they do that with the standard models? "
    Thank god for that.

Also yeah good point about the interiors, even if it wasn't true to the real cars or as detailed as the premium ones I would still like to have interiors in all cars, even if the panel and stuff was just a single texture.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Binman88
    @WinterSnowblind: Yeah I know you weren't. And I agree they should probably stop boasting about numbers, because at the end of the day, the numbers are irrelevant. Forza 3 has enough cars, heck, even GT5 Prologue had enough, and I don't think there was even a hundred in that game. I don't think people stop and think for a second about how much time it would take to do a few events with each car. Let's say GT5 had 1000 cars even, and you decided to do 3 events with each car, and every event had 5 laps. That's a lot of laps! 

@KaosAngel: I don't know why they couldn't have spent time making 3 or 4 default interiors for use in the standard cars. They wouldn't have to be manufacturer specific, just something close to the body type of the car would have been fine for me.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By yakov456
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @onarum: ...that's from GT4.  In GT5 all standard models have 3d rims, and the surfaces aren't flat like that.  Some guy used the same image on GT-Planet and people who own the game, shot him down quick.  On topic:  GT PSP had cockpit view for all cars, it lacked a wheel and crap...but it still had one.  Why couldn't they do that with the standard models? "
    Yes exactly, just give me a cardboard cutout fake dashboard with a view slightly raised above the ground. I'll take it, I am used to in car views for my racing, that roof cam is just going to feel all kinds of wrong. Whatever, I'm pumped, 2 days.
    GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By GTFan712

The fact that I'm not going to be able to swap out my wheels on all 800 standard cars is a real bummer, kinda a game breaker. Does this mean tuning the suspension on a standard car won't lower it's stance? I guess I'll be sticking with Premium cars for the duration of the game, since I play in cockpit view. Everything else feels weird and arcade-ish.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By xyzygy

Wait a second wait a second. So you're telling me that only 200 of these cars are actually fully customizable?! and that 800-something are all just upgrades from GT4?!? WTF?!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By mike

More premium cars, coming soon via DLC! Just you watch...time constraints my ass.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Why can't they change wheels? 

Anyway I bet PD in about 2 years time will bring out a patch making all cars premium, or have GT6's cars all premium.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Red12b

@ShaunassNZ 

I sincerely doubt that man, 

two reasons 

Disk space 
    Time & Money 

The incentive just isn't there, There may be DLC of cars or tracks, but the whole hog of cars just doesn't make sense to me

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Obsidian said:
    " So I'm guessing most of the used cars will be standard?  I wish they said which cars are standard and which are premium in the enormous list of cars released earlier. "
    If it says P next to it its Premium, If it says S its Standrad. 

@yakov456 said:
    " I got over the standard with no interior thing because of the man hours involved. But the standard with only stock wheels really ticks me off. Again, can't wait for this game but wtf, what generation is this? "
    If you could change wheels in Gt4, I don't see why you can't change wheels on standard cars in gt5, especially if they are the same assets., are used. 

@xyzygy said:
    "

Wait a second wait a second. So you're telling me that only 200 of these cars are actually fully customizable?! and that 800-something are all just upgrades from GT4?!? WTF?!

"
    WTF is that the game ain't out so everybody is filling in the gaps with their own conclusion from what people see on youtube. Every single car is customizable as in you can tune them, add a turbo etc. You know performance upgrades where it counts. That shit been in since GT1. What is not "customizable" is probably paint jobs and such, but since Gt has never been known for that, there's a chance that not even the 200 Premium cars even have that feature at all. Until I get my hands on it, I can't fully say other than use sound judgement of simple logic. 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StaticFalconar:  

The Bugatti is Standard and it looks fine, people are making shit up and don't bother to go to GT-Planet or NeoGAF.  People still think there isn't damage in the game, when both sites showed video proof it fully unlocks at level 20.  If you want the real information, go to NeoGAF or GT-Planet, as they already have had copies for over two weeks now.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ShaunassNZ said:

" Why can't they change wheels?  Anyway I bet PD in about 2 years time will bring out a patch making all cars premium, or have GT6's cars all premium. "

Yeah, my money would be on a slow stream of DLC converting them a handful at a time?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By xyzygy
    @StaticFalconar said:
    "
     @xyzygy said:
    "

"
    WTF is that the game ain't out so everybody is filling in the gaps with their own conclusion from what people see on youtube. Every single car is customizable as in you can tune them, add a turbo etc. You know performance upgrades where it counts. That shit been in since GT1. What is not "customizable" is probably paint jobs and such, but since Gt has never been known for that, there's a chance that not even the 200 Premium cars even have that feature at all. Until I get my hands on it, I can't fully say other than use sound judgement of simple logic.  "
    I wasn't talking about tuning, I know you can tune all the cars. That's like the point of the game. I was talking about paint jobs and wheels and rims. I LOVE customizing my cars like that and I'm surprised they haven't made that a feature in GT5.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By animateria
    @xyzygy said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    "
     @xyzygy said:
    "

"
    WTF is that the game ain't out so everybody is filling in the gaps with their own conclusion from what people see on youtube. Every single car is customizable as in you can tune them, add a turbo etc. You know performance upgrades where it counts. That shit been in since GT1. What is not "customizable" is probably paint jobs and such, but since Gt has never been known for that, there's a chance that not even the 200 Premium cars even have that feature at all. Until I get my hands on it, I can't fully say other than use sound judgement of simple logic.  "
    I wasn't talking about tuning, I know you can tune all the cars. That's like the point of the game. I was talking about paint jobs and wheels and rims. I LOVE customizing my cars like that and I'm surprised they haven't made that a feature in GT5. "
    I bet you could change wheels (tire size?) and rims... I mean GT3 and GT4 had them, why would that not be here? 

As for paint jobs (stickers?), I personally don't mind either way. Probably won't use it much anyways.
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By bearshamanbro

The way I look at it is the premium cars are the ones to buy – the others are there to fill up the track and add variety. It is a really odd design choice though to have the cars mixed and matched in quality. I wonder if they started to create all the cars as remium and then once they got so far in realized what they got themselves into. I'm sure GT6 will use the exact same models from GT5, as well as adding new ones, and just add more post-processing effects on them if it's on a next gen platform. I'm sure the base models can really be enhanced with post-processing with more powerful hardware. If they keep making new premium models they may have 500 total ready for GT6 in a few years. Who knows, PD could have a lot of half-finished premium model cars in their assets right now. I know it's been reported they're already working on GT6.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By KaosAngel

The Toyota AE86 is Standard....and I will love it regardless.  >.>

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By Jambones

Hmm, kind of bummed that the standard cars won't have interiors as that's the only way I play racing games (Unless it's super arcade-y). I understand the massive undertaking that would be though, especially considering the amount of detail GT5 is aiming for. Forza has some problems with the interior view (GT40's speedometer needle disappearing into the dial, some low-res textures) I am glad every car had that option. 

I can't really see myself playing a simulation racer from third-person perspective but I am still excited for GT5.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jambones said:
    " I understand the massive undertaking that would be though, "
    Every car in GT PSP had it though, it lacked a wheel and proper dashboard...but it still had it.  It doesn't bother me though, I always drive in first person instead of cockpit and hood (hood is the worst).
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By animateria
    @KaosAngel said:
    " The Toyota AE86 is Standard....and I will love it regardless.  >.> "
    Puh-shaw... 

I'd rather roam in the pop-up head light Mazda MX-5.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KaosAngel
    @animateria said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Puh-shaw...  I'd rather roam in the pop-up head light Mazda MX-5. "
    Then I guess we shall have a duel tomorrow night, of the downhill drifting kind.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By animateria
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @animateria said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Puh-shaw...  I'd rather roam in the pop-up head light Mazda MX-5. "
    Then I guess we shall have a duel tomorrow night, of the downhill drifting kind. "
    As long as it doesn't have weird uncovered water drains! 

(I get my copy on Thanksgiving day though. Having not played a racing sim in a while, I think I dodged the bullet there.)
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Cyborgmatt
    @xyzygy said:
    "

"
    Yes.
    shuref00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By shuref00t

As petty and superficial as it may be, I'm disappointed that you can't change the wheels on standard cars. I want some Volk TE-37's painted white on my 3rd gen Integra Type-R, like the many I've seen in the issues of Import Tuner, Sports Compact Car, and Super Street during the late 90's-- for the young or uninitiated, these are magazines by the way (they're like web articles but printed on paper LOL!).

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @HitmanAgent47: hey agent what game is that? the screen caps?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @pwnasaurus: the first one is called GTR 2, I maxed out the AA through the nvidia control panel and things magically goes from looking like shit, to looking hyper realistic. The second game is called need for speed shift.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.