Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Seasonal Event discussion

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Binman88

With the latest update to GT5, we now have Seasonal Events to take on, and I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to discuss them, and offer help if people need it - advice on cars and settings etc. 

So far I've bronzed the GT-R bonus race on SS5 with one of my dozen Skylines - the GT-R M-spec (R34) '01. (been giving Skylines the 'gotta catch 'em all' Pokémon treatment!) As a first contribution of advice for this thread, I don't recommend the car for challenging 1st place. 2nd place might be doable, but I was around 20 seconds off first place at the end of the race. 

I've also had a stab at the Rome Circuit time trial, using another Skyline - the rear wheel drive '89 GTS-t Type M (R32). If I recall correctly I was a good 5 seconds off the best time (which I believe was around 1.19.5 at the time), with a time of 1.25.something. Looking at the leaderboards now shows everyone clocking under a minute in the Kusabi concept :( Kinda sucks that there's no real guessing involved when you can just look at the leaderboards to get the right car. Would have been better if they kept that information hidden, I think. 

Anyway, I think these challenges are great, and hope PD keep pushing them out.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Only 2000 place for TT run. :(

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Devil240Z
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Only 2000 place for TT run. :( "
    Only? that seems pretty good to me.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Devil240Z
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Only 2000 place for TT run. :( "
    Only? that seems pretty good to me.
    It was at 11am, I should be way lower now.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Binman88

Seems the GT-R SpecV '09 is the right car for the GT-R race. Just came in second with an incredibly messy 5 laps, first time driving the thing. Should be easy to get 1st with it for anyone.  

Edit: 

Just beat it with a time of 7.22.640. Thought I'd come in second place, but I still had a lap to go, so I kinda fucked up my positioning on the first corner of the final lap, losing a good bit of time recovering :| Take it as a rule of thumb though for that particular challenge, that you want to be in second place coming into the final lap for an easier chance at victory. 

My settings in case anyone is interested: 

Nissan GT-R SpecV '09  
    All weight reduction upgrades, and rigidity improvement. All aerodynamic upgrades at GT auto installed. 
    No engine tuning. 
    Sports intake manifold and sports air filter installed. 
    No exhaust upgrades. 
    No turbo upgrade. 
    Fully customisable transmission installed - set to a max speed of 300km/h to get the most out of the straight, without leaving anything to spare. 
    All drivetrain upgrades installed. LSD settings - Initial torque: 7 front, 8 rear, everything else at default. Torque distribution set 15 front, 85 rear
    Fully customisable suspension kit installed - adjustments I made were to the ride height: -12 front, -5 rear; and to the camber angle 2.4 front, 1.6 rear
    Brakes balanced 5 front, 10 to rear - with abs set to 0 to easily slide the rear of the car out. 
    Traction control and driving aids turned off.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

I totally forgot GT5 had drifting in it until I saw it in the seasonal event thing. We should totally include some drifting funkyness in the next GB race night like when we goof off doing cat and mouse.  

BTW, stock Dodge challenger with only mods to suspensions was the easiest 3/4 mill ever made. Totally worth buying the car just for the event. 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " BTW, stock Dodge challenger with only mods to suspensions was the easiest 3/4 mill ever made. Totally worth buying the car just for the event.  "
    I already had one. But I only managed fifth place. No mods what so ever though. Gonna try again. 
    Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmann

Loving the seasonal events so far! I got gold in fiat500, CR-Z, and Dodge events, but I can't get past silver in the GTR event... :-S, I used a SpecV with nearly identical settings "kind of a huge coincidence", The GT academy stuff is HARD, I'm doing it with a game pad and can't seem to rank above 799th, 1.07,6something for the first event, I'll try it with my wheel and cockpit on the weekend... 

...if these events keep coming on a monthly basis, then this game has surpassed my expectations, even after an unavoidably disappointing start.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Bouke

I have gold on the CR-Z event but i can't get gold on that Fiat 500 on Tsukuba race. That Audi A2 beats me every time! I bought a bunch of upgrades which got me closer but i haven't been able to get past him. He has a higher top speed on the straight and i don't think i can tweak my car because i'm already at the limit. 

That GT-R event is also kicking my ass, but i just need some more practice on that course. 

Is there a reason to do the timetrails!? I've tried one but there isn't a time you are supposed to beat (as far as i can see), so what is the goal? I'm not going to beat the topscore racing with my controller and stuff...

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88
    @Karmann: @Bouke: Yeah, I've given up on the time-trials. Even with my wheel I doubt I'll come close to the top times. If you guys are still having trouble with the GT-R event, I can try recording and uploading my replay. The trick for me was attacking and sliding through most wide corners as fast as I could - using a rear brake bias and no abs, temporarily locking the wheels with a brief press on the brakes to encourage the car to slide.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

Yos, they like added another set of events, and it seems a bit harder this time, but still big money if you get first. Who loves the green hell in Nascar?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @StaticFalconar:  Good thing some of us had practice.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

getting the game in the morning along with a spanking new steering wheel. i've never had one so i cant wait!!!

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karmann

Whoa! More Events!!! Merry Christmas Everybody!!!

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Bouke

I've tried the Nordschleife in a Nascar race; that was the wrong thing to do! Without changing the setup i couldn't overtake a single other car! Rage quited GT5 because op it!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

New seasonal events are up and this time they're a little special. Instead of the usual model specific races, they've got some drivetrain and a Ferrari challenge. Oddly enough they don't show any prize or experience rewards like they normally do. They challenges are as follows: 

• FF Challenge
    • FR Challenge
    • 4WD Challenge
    • Ferrari Challenge

Each challenge has three races each with some light restrictions here and there.
    VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VooDooPC

I just did the three 4WD Challenge races. 29,000-30,000 credits and a few thousand XP each. No bonus for completing all of them.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By lutonhatter

I've been having great fun trying to win the Ferrari F1 Challenge races, haven't managed it yet, but I'm not very good so that isn't surprising. Mind you the event turning up a couple of days after the Lvl-40 gift ticket that could of given me either one of the two Ferrari F1 cars or a GTF1 car gave me my second GTF1. Is rather like the game blowing a Raspberry at me heh ho.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @LutonHatter: Hey any chance you'd join us in this weekend's Giant Bomb GT5 Race Night? We're doing spec Miatas this week.
    lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By lutonhatter
    @FrankCanada97:
    Can't promise anything, but it sounds tempting , so something doesn't come up, I'll be there. (I assume I can use the MX-5 names equivalents if I want? Not that is matters)
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @LutonHatter: I've limited it to the two Miatas you can buy from the premier dealership. Check the thread for more details.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aus_azn

I hope they return it to the old format. This sucks ass, because you can basically do a B-Spec DreamCar and get more rewards. And the events are extremely lame too and don't have an exceptional race time to reward ratio.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.