Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

The "vast amount of content" of GT5.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By Bouke

First off i'll start with saying that GT5 was the first Gran Turismo game i bought (on consoles), but that i'm a big racing game fan and was there for really looking forward to GT5 after playing some of GT5 Proloque. Also i want to add that i'm a big fan of the Forza Motorsports franchise, but i think i can still be objective and don't want to turn this into PS3 vs 360 or GT vs Forza argument. 

Having played earlier GT games and coming to expect a great level of polish from Polyphony Digitals race games, i think its fair to say that GT5 at launch was a pretty big disappointment. Fortunately Polyphony already put out a number of patches to add some things and streamline some of the experience. And i have to say that the actual driving part of GT5 just feels great. Every car handles differently and changing the setup, tires or making upgrades can really improve your laptimes. That said, there are also plenty of things that i feel are bad or even missing in this game. 

But like the title said, i want to talk about the amount of content GT5 offers and i'm not talking about the cars either. I'm talking about the races. I've been playing GT5 off and on since launch and i've almost reached lvl 25 in A-spec and 23 in B-spec. In A-spec i've reached gold medals in all but two events (only because i can't find a car for one and the other is the Formula GT championship which takes a really long time to complete in one sitting). I've completed most of the licenses but still have to finish up the last ones because i didn't have all that much fun with the challenges. Some of the special events are fun and challenging like the Kart races the AMG challenges and the Grand Tour. The Nascar one is alright although the highest level i find really hard to complete. I hate the rally events and wish rally wasn't even in GT5 because it isn't good! 

Since the latest patch Polyphony also added the Seasonal Events; i don't see the point in battling the whole world on the time trail or drift leaderboards because i'm not going to be up there with the best of them. I'm just using a controller over here and while i like a challenge i would've rather that Polyphony would've put in a target time for you to beat. An option to compare your fastest lap time with your friends would have been excellent too! The races they added in the Seasonal Events i'm having a lot off fun with though, because it looks like they will keep adding new ones and you get a pretty nice reward from them.  

But what was all this; "there is a huge amount of content in GT5" about? I'm practically done with the A-spec part off the game and i have to say it was pretty short! Some off the series only have one or two races but GT5 has all these tracks i have never even raced on in the A-spec mode. Don't even get me started about the B-spec mode which has you race the same races but your AI driver can only win when he has the vastly superior car or a big level advantage. The B-spec mode is even more of a grind because you have even less events to earn experience on and you end up having to do to same events over and over to get to a higher level and new events. 

Maybe i still need to gain some levels to open up some more races i can do; but so far i'm pretty down on what Gran Turismo 5 has to offer in singleplayer. And while i was thinking this game could at least still my racing hunger until the next big race game comes along. How is the amount of races in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit!?

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bouke

First off i'll start with saying that GT5 was the first Gran Turismo game i bought (on consoles), but that i'm a big racing game fan and was there for really looking forward to GT5 after playing some of GT5 Proloque. Also i want to add that i'm a big fan of the Forza Motorsports franchise, but i think i can still be objective and don't want to turn this into PS3 vs 360 or GT vs Forza argument. 

Having played earlier GT games and coming to expect a great level of polish from Polyphony Digitals race games, i think its fair to say that GT5 at launch was a pretty big disappointment. Fortunately Polyphony already put out a number of patches to add some things and streamline some of the experience. And i have to say that the actual driving part of GT5 just feels great. Every car handles differently and changing the setup, tires or making upgrades can really improve your laptimes. That said, there are also plenty of things that i feel are bad or even missing in this game. 

But like the title said, i want to talk about the amount of content GT5 offers and i'm not talking about the cars either. I'm talking about the races. I've been playing GT5 off and on since launch and i've almost reached lvl 25 in A-spec and 23 in B-spec. In A-spec i've reached gold medals in all but two events (only because i can't find a car for one and the other is the Formula GT championship which takes a really long time to complete in one sitting). I've completed most of the licenses but still have to finish up the last ones because i didn't have all that much fun with the challenges. Some of the special events are fun and challenging like the Kart races the AMG challenges and the Grand Tour. The Nascar one is alright although the highest level i find really hard to complete. I hate the rally events and wish rally wasn't even in GT5 because it isn't good! 

Since the latest patch Polyphony also added the Seasonal Events; i don't see the point in battling the whole world on the time trail or drift leaderboards because i'm not going to be up there with the best of them. I'm just using a controller over here and while i like a challenge i would've rather that Polyphony would've put in a target time for you to beat. An option to compare your fastest lap time with your friends would have been excellent too! The races they added in the Seasonal Events i'm having a lot off fun with though, because it looks like they will keep adding new ones and you get a pretty nice reward from them.  

But what was all this; "there is a huge amount of content in GT5" about? I'm practically done with the A-spec part off the game and i have to say it was pretty short! Some off the series only have one or two races but GT5 has all these tracks i have never even raced on in the A-spec mode. Don't even get me started about the B-spec mode which has you race the same races but your AI driver can only win when he has the vastly superior car or a big level advantage. The B-spec mode is even more of a grind because you have even less events to earn experience on and you end up having to do to same events over and over to get to a higher level and new events. 

Maybe i still need to gain some levels to open up some more races i can do; but so far i'm pretty down on what Gran Turismo 5 has to offer in singleplayer. And while i was thinking this game could at least still my racing hunger until the next big race game comes along. How is the amount of races in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit!?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FritzDude

I think they want you to try different cars on the same events and win money. The main problem i got is that 80% of the cars are standard cars, and i like to play a racing game in dashboard view. But yes, the feeling and the handling on the cars are supreme. And i believe they wil add ore races next year, so i guess you should stay tuned, or play some multiplayer with infinite of joy.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onarum

Yes I agree, they've focused too much on putting in the crazy amount of cars, even though you'll end up using like 15% of em, who the hell would use a Subaru 360? I can run faster than that thing.... why put it in? why spend time on something so useless?

Plus they decided that only about 20% would get the real treatment, I mean seriously, who cares if the car haves the entire under side perfectly modeled? the physics in the game are so bad that the car will never flip in the first place... they did useless things that took away polish of way more important parts.

One of the main problems I have with this game is the complete lack of visual customization, you can choose your color and, is some cars, put a different color hood, that's it.

Also given that the SP "campaign" is not all that you'd expect the MP part of it to fill the void, the only problem is that it feels like it was made 10 years ago, seriously it feels like the PD guys were locked in a building throughout the entire dev process of the game, unable to have any sort of influence from the outside, and not just with the MP, this entire game feels dated, every single aspect of it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

yep, i agree in some parts. i think there should have put some good things in the game, like in forza 3. i enjoyed making vinyls for my car in forza 3. i kind of hoped that they had something like that in the game. some of the things on forza 3 are awesome. i don't know if it's me but the cars don't seem to go as fast as they feel. it might be that i am use to arcade style games or it is actually how it feels.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bouke

I've hit level 25 in A-spec and opened up the Endurance races, nine more events ranging from 300 km long races to two events of 24 hours long. I've completed the first event and because you can use any car i used the FGT. It took me about an hour and 40 minutes and you get a decent amount of experience. The thing that i hate is that after completing that event you only get 150.000 credits! Why not give the people that actually play your game some reward and give them more credits or decent price cars!

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By rjaylee

As someone who used to be a longtime Gran Turismo fan (owned GT1 to GT3), are the premium car interiors really that good? I mean to be fair, Forza 3 had an interior modeled for every car, even if it wasn't 100% accurate (but at least there was an in-car dashboard camera view). I'm not asking this to be combative, I literally just don't know how far 'premium' actually goes.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bouke
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " As someone who used to be a longtime Gran Turismo fan (owned GT1 to GT3), are the premium car interiors really that good? I mean to be fair, Forza 3 had an interior modeled for every car, even if it wasn't 100% accurate (but at least there was an in-car dashboard camera view). I'm not asking this to be combative, I literally just don't know how far 'premium' actually goes. "
    Although its not really on topic i'll try to answer your post. 

The Premium cars in GT5 are beautiful! I think they are probably the best looking and most detailed car models in pretty much any game. The amount of detail isn't just on the outside; the interiors look almost real. Even the smallest details are put into the game and to be honest you don't really notice most of the detail. 

The Standard cars however are totally different, they can look really bad at times. From jagged curves, to the gasoline filler cap looking like a sticker. And i could go on; but you can find plenty of screens of the Standard cars (in other threads). They also lack the in car view because Polyphony didn't really model the interior.  

To give my personal opinion on the standard vs premium "issue" i'll say that it was an mistake from Polyphony to make a difference in car models. They probably thought it would be a bonus to have the Premium cars in there but it totally backfired on them. Mainly because the Standard cars don't look that hot and they make up 80% of the cars in the game. It would've been a better choice to have only one level of detail (less then the current premium models) but use that across all the cars and including an in car camera for all the cars. Now it just looks like they were desperate to hit the 1000+ cars and put a bunch of ugly GT4 looking models in there, just to hit that bullet point.
    petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By petedee

I used one standard car, it was an MX5 as my first car and looked like crap (well... you know what they say about everyone's first car being rubbish) since then I've just concentrated on the premiums, they look fantastic when racing and even more so in photo mode, the standard models are just not worth the effort. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.