To make all of you feel better about the trees...

• 103 results
#1 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

(I'm really responding to all the "2d trees" comments on the Quick look section.) So I bought GT5...The trees can look pretty crappy (2d) in some races.  They're more detailed in city races (for example London). 

But to make all of us feel better:

#2 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -

OMG I feel so much better about the trees because another game also has crappy trees! 

Seriously, who the fuck cares?

#3 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Or just buy a Codies racing game ^_^

#4 Edited by Jeust (10448 posts) -

So with this we can all say without any shread of doubt: 

"Gran Turismo 5 is better than Forza 3!" 

And GT fanboys throughout all of Giantbomb celebrated, united in happiness. 

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

Leaf it out.

#6 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I can understand why, trees are some of the trickiest thing to render on a decent speed if good looking, all the polygons went to the cars

#7 Posted by Potter9156 (939 posts) -

Technically all game trees are 2d. The leaves at least. 

#8 Posted by mwng (919 posts) -

I'm stumped if I know what this is about.

#9 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Or just buy a Codies racing game ^_^ "
I remember trees looking pretty good in GRID.   Although, since the posters here have forced me to pixel peep, maybe I'll start looking too closely at the GRID trees... :(
#10 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Can't we just leaf this discussion alone? I don't tree the point in arguing about plants.

#11 Posted by ez123 (1944 posts) -

I always play Forza 3 from that perspective. 

#12 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

The sooner speedtree is implemented in racing games, the better

#13 Posted by Terry_Bogard (302 posts) -

Uh... was this necessary at all? Way to be a scrub.

#14 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" Can't we just leaf this discussion alone? I don't tree the point in arguing about plants. "
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
#15 Posted by Bones8677 (3208 posts) -

Why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here?

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Yeah we knew this back in October 2009 when the game came out, I am really stumped by your argument.

#17 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I dont see what you are getting at here? 

Why not stop beating around the bush and branch out, let us know how you really feel

#18 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" Yeah we knew this back in October 2009 when the game came out, I am really stumped by your argument. "
There is no argument.   After reading all the posts about the 2d trees in GT5, I started looking at trees in other games.  :-(
#19 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" I dont see what you are getting at here?   Why not stop beating around the bush and branch out, let us know how you really feel "
You should've been posting in the RDR (about the lack of shrubberies on PS3) and Mafia 2 (about the lack of grass on PS3) forums.  
#20 Edited by xyzygy (9867 posts) -
@ez123 said:

" I always play Forza 3 from that perspective.   . "

If I had Forza, this is what I'd say :P

But really I got the impression that it's not just the trees. It's the terrible textures on everything, the buildings, backdrops, grass, pretty much everything that isn't the cars. So I don't know why you're singling the trees out. Oh, and Pancake Dog.

#21 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I feel it worthwhile to reiterate myself, FM and GT have nothing on Codies games, I don't see why people even bother to get hyped up about their graphics. 

#22 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @ez123 said:
" I always play Forza 3 from that perspective.   . "

If I had Forza, this is what I'd say :P

But really I got the impression that it's not just the trees. It's the terrible textures on everything, the buildings, backdrops, grass, pretty much everything that isn't the cars. So I don't know why you're singling the trees out. Oh, and Pancake Dog.

"
Textures are pretty bad in F1 2010, as well, if you stop the car and look too close at the buildings in Monte Carlo.   GT5 textures = GT5 prologue building textures, btw.  I pixel peeped at the London race.
#23 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

So you justify one game having crappy trees by showed that another game has crappy trees as well?

I'm not following the logic here.

#24 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:

" So you justify one game having crappy trees by showed that another game has crappy trees as well?  I'm not following the logic here. "

There is no argument and this has nothing to do with logic.  As I clearly stated in the title, it's about -feelings-.  :)
#25 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

I don't understand what people see in codemasters graphics. F1 2010 looks fudgy, bland, and nowhere near sharp enough when it isn't raining or at night. Also which track is in the OP? It looks like Le Mans...

#26 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

He's just mad because forza 3 has a better metacritic.  :P

#27 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@crunchUK:  It's because Codemasters games are still coming out on PC while Forza and GT aren't on PC.  Then think about who's posting about those Codemasters games.
#28 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

I personally don't see how the look of trees is all that relevant in a realistic racing game, when i was playing GT5 the trees were the last thing on my mind. 

#29 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Dirt 2 wins on treegregate.

#30 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @crunchUK:  It's because Codemasters games are still coming out on PC while Forza and GT aren't on PC.  Then think about who's posting about those Codemasters games. "
The console versions look better than GT and FM as well. The only thing GT has going for it in terms of graphics is the car models, and even that is debatable.  

Seriously, Codies has no competition in the visuals department for racing games. Dirt 3 is only in pre-alpha and its visuals already shit on everything. It baffles me why people get all excited for "zomg teh realism" of GT when it's easily trumped by games that came out years ago. 
#31 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Geno said:

" I feel it worthwhile to reiterate myself, FM and GT have nothing on Codies games, I don't see why people even bother to get hyped up about their graphics.  "

This.  Dirt 2 is their most arcade like racer and it's still more of a proper simulation than any GT game.

@Diamond said:
" @crunchUK:  It's because Codemasters games are still coming out on PC while Forza and GT aren't on PC.  Then think about who's posting about those Codemasters games. "

No it's because Codemasters are practically unbeatable at racing games and driving graphics realism.  Codemasters have been around an extremely long time (since the early C64/ZX Spectrum days when they did budget tape games many of which were instant classics and got the same front page coverage as many full price games) and they know what the hell they are doing.  The Colin Macrae games were all well ahead of the competition of the day, regardless of platform and this remains true of more recent titles like Dirt and Grid too.
#32 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Now if only GT5 was not retarded bullshit that came out a year later and doesn't even include things like damage models or Forza's unlimited decal options...

#33 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

Peoples expectations were WAY to high for granturismo 5, beyond reality they make it seem. So people are just hating and bashing super hard.

#34 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

I don't think it really counts if you go out of your way to change the camera angle. If you have to do that, that tells me it's barely noticeable when you're actually playing. Going by them at high speeds even i assume.

#35 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

How much does it really matter how good anything in those games looks in screenshots?  Shouldn't their graphics be judged by how good they look when you are going really fast since going really fast is kind of the point?

#36 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Detrian said:
" Now if only GT5 was not retarded bullshit that came out a year later and doesn't even include things like damage models or Forza's unlimited decal options... "
...dude, it's already been shown on video that GT5's damage is better in the premium model than other racers.  The only problem is that it doesn't unlock until level 20.
#37 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Geno said:

" @Diamond said:

The console versions look better than GT and FM as well. The only thing GT has going for it in terms of graphics is the car models, and even that is debatable.   Seriously, Codies has no competition in the visuals department for racing games. Dirt 3 is only in pre-alpha and its visuals already shit on everything. It baffles me why people get all excited for "zomg teh realism" of GT when it's easily trumped by games that came out years ago.  "
You haven't ever played FM3 or GT5 yourself though, right?  At the very least both games' car models & shaders blow Codemasters racing games out of the water, that you consider it debatable makes me wonder this anyways.  Sure, Codemasters games have better environs, but they're arcade style racing games.  As long as you're praising Codemasters racing game environs, NFS HP's environments are far superior to anything in any Codemasters game ( on consoles at least, PC version has some alpha transparency problems).

Did this photo mode comparison earlier.  Obviously the post processing effects are pretty fancy and the shadows are better processed, but you can really see the car models and some of the lighting effects fairly well.  Even rendering at super high res with SS couldn't make Dirt 2 even come close to these car models.
#38 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Detrian said:
" Now if only GT5 was not retarded bullshit that came out a year later and doesn't even include things like damage models or Forza's unlimited decal options... "
...dude, it's already been shown on video that GT5's damage is better in the premium model than other racers.  The only problem is that it doesn't unlock until level 20. "
Oh you mean a tiny fraction of the cars can actually get scratched? OH PHEW! Man, that was a nail biter! Game vindicated.
#39 Edited by bellmont42 (317 posts) -
@Vigil said:

" I personally don't see how the look of trees is all that relevant in a realistic racing game, when i was playing GT5 the trees were the last thing on my mind.  "

Lets break this down to see how it does matter to alot of people... while i dont really care for racing games....

" ....... the look of trees .....relevant ....realistic racing game......  "  immersion
#40 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

My life has been changed.

#41 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -
@bellmont42 said:
" @Vigil said:

" I personally don't see how the look of trees is all that relevant in a realistic racing game, when i was playing GT5 the trees were the last thing on my mind.  "

Lets break this down to see how it does matter to alot of people... while i dont really care for racing games....

" ....... the look of trees .....relevant ....realistic racing game......  "  immersion "
Yes, realistic racing, not realistic vegetation, i would much rather have had the developers working on the mechanics and physics involved in the driving of the cars than on some peripheral oak trees. 
#42 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @Geno said:

" I feel it worthwhile to reiterate myself, FM and GT have nothing on Codies games, I don't see why people even bother to get hyped up about their graphics.  "

This.  Dirt 2 is their most arcade like racer and it's still more of a proper simulation than any GT game.

Have you played Dirt 1?  I think it's more arcade-y than Dirt 2.   I'm not sure which one has more realistic car handling overall (Dirt 1 or 2), but in Dirt 1, breaking seems *far too effective.*    
#43 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

If it makes you feel better, the only reason I like Forza better is because of the decal creator. Both games are pretty much the same boring simulation to me.

#44 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Phew.  Thanks, dude. :)
#45 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Geno said:
The only thing that FM and GT have over Codemasters games is their raw car selection. CM takes 30 or so cars and does them to exquisite perfection. GT will do about 150 or so (read: most Premiums), and Forza will with all of the DLC and Hero-make cars (read: everything you need to pay for in addition, and Audis).
#46 Edited by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

I'm willing to bet there are no racing (only) games with 3D trees on console. But then again I don't own any racing games at all, so whatever.

#47 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@Hockeymask27 said:
" My life has been changed. "
I'm glad I'm not alone...
#48 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Geno said:

Have you played Dirt 1?  I think it's more arcade-y than Dirt 2.   I'm not sure which one has more realistic car handling overall (Dirt 1 or 2), but in Dirt 1, breaking seems *far too effective.*     "
Yeah and Dirt 1 was way too easy on breaking for sure.  They fixed a lot of that in GriD and Dirt 2.
#49 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

I find it funny no one has mentioned Criterion. In terms of graphics I think they're the best.  

#50 Posted by bellmont42 (317 posts) -
@Vigil said:
" @bellmont42 said:
" @Vigil said:

" ....... the look of trees .....relevant ....realistic racing game......  "  immersion "
Yes, realistic racing, not realistic vegetation, i would much rather have had the developers working on the mechanics and physics involved in the driving of the cars than on some peripheral oak trees.  "
immersion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.