Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Wheel question (DFGT/G25/G27)

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jace

I've looked at reviews for days. I haven't found enough about the difference between them to make me decide either way. What are some of the thoughts here on these wheels? Is the DGFT enough, or does the G25 warrant it's price? Are they both reliable? Just any general impressions would be awesome. Owner's opinions are very welcome. Thanks.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Got the DFGT about a week ago and I really like it. From what I've read, the DFGT should be more than enough for all but the most hardcore simophiles. The advantages I've read of the more expensive wheels are: proper paddle shifters behind the steering wheel (instead of buttons on the DFGT, which I've found to be fine), better gear stick, inclusion of a clutch (no clutch with the DFGT at all), and better feeling pedals (again, I'm happy with the feel of the DFGT's pedals). There's probably more to it, but I don't see why you'd buy the more expensive wheel if you're not, like I said, a real simulation nut.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

DFGT is the official wheel for GT5, and GT5 is built around that wheel.  It is also the only wheel to allow you to give the car on-the-fly adjustments.  It's also the wheel that Sony and Logitech have been using for almost every GT5 demo.   

G25 is dumb, and don't even bother with it. 

G27 is the hardcore racing wheel.  It has a clutch, and proper six-gear shifter, and dual force-feedback motors (DFGT has none of this).  The problem is that GT5 isn't fully optimized for the clutch, as all cars can technically use the shifter when cars don't have shifters in them.   A big notice goes out to the F1 cars which use the paddle shifters but you can also shift with the clutch.  :\ 

DFGT is 150 bucks, G27 is 300.  How important is a clutch with proper shifter? 

Make your mind from there.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jace
    @KaosAngel: @Binman88:  

Okay, well I see where both of you are coming from. So I guess my last question would be: Do either of you feel that you'd be at a disadvantage racing against someone with a g25/27?  
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @Jace: By using the DFGT instead? I don't see why you would be. At the end of the day, as long as you know the car you're driving and the track you're racing, you should be confident about posting good times even with the DFGT. I don't think they ship a packet of skill with the G27 to make you a better driver!
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jace
    @Binman88: 

Well I was really just asking if you felt the difference in quality between the DFGT and the G series would make a DFGT driver feel disadvantageous.

(lol at that last word)
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jace: You got paddle shifters, the only advantage G series has is putting the car in neutral while drifting. 

This is a skill that's used in real life, also known as Heel-to-Toe Shifting, and a skill very few can pull off in the driving population.  I have a hard time doing it as well, and it's why I drive manual with paddle shifters in real life.   

That's the only advantage a manual shifter gives you.  The ability to fully control the car, and to properly neutral the gearbox while drifting.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jace

I'm just worried about lap times.

So drifting doesn't really matter. DFGT it is. =).

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b

If the 27 was cheaper I would get it, but now way am I paying for that overpriced peice of kit.
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BasketSnake

I'm as average a user as you can be and I own the DFGT and briefly tried the G25 at a stand. My opinion is it's not worth paying twice the amount of money for the G25/G27 wheels. The DFGT is really great. I haven't tried GT5 with it yet but playing prologue just kicked my GT interest-o meter from zero to ten.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emem

Hehe it's really cool that people buy steering wheels for GT5. 

I hope GB will review the game by playing with a steering wheel (somehow I doubt it). I remember playing GT1-3 with a gamepad which was already "cool", but when I started playing GT4 with a steering wheel.. oh man, what a difference. 

Oh by the way, I realised my hands start to hurt after racing (F1) for 2-3 hours and I was thinking about buying racing gloves or maybe just biking gloves. Do you guys have any advise what kind of gloves to get or would it somehow be wrong to play with gloves at all?

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By PufferFiz

get the dfgt, it's great and if you shop around you can get one for like 100

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jace

I got a DFGT. Thanks guys. My PSN name is : Fat_Zebra if anyone wants to drive some time =)

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CaLe said:
    " Is there any big differences between the  DFGT and the Driving Force PRO? Other than the size of the wheel that is. "
    DFP is old.  DFGT is new.
    Kyodra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kyodra

Does anyone know if the black Logitech Momo works with GT5?

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By snide

I've got a G25 I've been playing the game with and it's been great. My only real recommendation for using it over the DFGT is that I much prefer shifting with paddles instead of the gear shifter. I'd likely prefer the shifter if I had a proper chair to mount it in a more realistic position, but having it up level with the wheel weirds me out. 

I will also second everyone elses opinion that GT5 and the other sim racers (Dirt 2, F1, Forza) are much better games when playing with a wheel. I'm not saying you can't have fun without them, but it's a vastly different experience when you play with one.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By smallville123
    @snide said:
    " I've got a G25 I've been playing the game with and it's been great. My only real recommendation for using it over the DFGT is that I much prefer shifting with paddles instead of the gear shifter. I'd likely prefer the shifter if I had a proper chair to mount it in a more realistic position, but having it up level with the wheel weirds me out.  I will also second everyone elses opinion that GT5 and the other sim racers (Dirt 2, F1, Forza) are much better games when playing with a wheel. I'm not saying you can't have fun without them, but it's a vastly different experience when you play with one. "
    Ya I agree.  Been rocking the G27 my self when best buy had it half off earlier this year.  It's quite a different experience.
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Just got my DFGT in the mail today.  Gotta say I am extremely surprised at the quality of this wheel.  I've been using the wireless xbox 360 wheel for a few years, but man........ the DFGT is on a whole different level.  I can't wait to get back home to use that again.  When people were saying how the forcefeedback gives their shoulders a workout I chuckled to myself.  Boy was I wrong, best wheel for the money!

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By keris
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Jace: You got paddle shifters, the only advantage G series has is putting the car in neutral while drifting.  This is a skill that's used in real life, also known as Heel-to-Toe Shifting, and a skill very few can pull off in the driving population.  I have a hard time doing it as well, and it's why I drive manual with paddle shifters in real life.    That's the only advantage a manual shifter gives you.  The ability to fully control the car, and to properly neutral the gearbox while drifting. "

Heel and toe downshifting is just smoothly downshifting while under braking. The "toe" works the brake while the "heel" blips the throttle so the engine is in the right RPM for the downshift. The GT games already do this for the player. If you use "automatic" transmission and brake into a corner, the car will automatically downshift and rev match. Hell, if you use "manual" transmission and downshift into a corner under braking, the downshift will be smoothly rev matched as well.

Also, power needs to be going to the wheels in order to maintain a drift. Drifting is essentially using power to rotate a car. The only reason you'd want to be "neutral" is while clutching in as you engage the e-brake. This just prevents the engine from stalling when the drive wheels lock up.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OldGuy
    @emem said:
    "I hope GB will review the game by playing with a steering wheel (somehow I doubt it)."
    Maybe we'll see a Dave review again... He's currently playing with a wheel (G25, I believe).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.