Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Why This Is The Most Important Racing Game of Our Lifetime

• 109 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

$60,000,000 with years of investment, years of programing, years of testing out cars...and almost a decade of practice, this game will finally be out in less than a month now. 

If GT5 fails, it will do nothing more than prove that games can't be focused into a decade of development.  It'll prove that the two year cycle works, and developers won't need to put their absolute soul into the game.  As of right now, only one other game is in the same situation as GT5, that of course is Final Fantasy Versus XIII which also happens to be Nomura's dream project.   

If GT5 fails, I promise you Square Enix will be looking at Nomura differently and telling him to watch his ass.  Both are in the same situation, both have spent almost a full decade in development (Nomura's project being worked on for years in his head), both have had countless millions of dollars pumped into, and both are PS3 exclusives. 

GT5 is finally coming out in less than a month.  In a week or two it will go gold, and a few days later videos will be leaked across the internet from some douche bag that got a stolen copy.  Reviews are allowed to go up on the 27th, and then it'll be the day. 

The biggest and riskiest game in our lifetime yet.  Even if you have no interest in cars, this game will be a huge milestone for the racing genre and judgement day will be brought forth on November 2nd.   

Was it worth it?  The decade of development, the insane amount of money put into it?  Hell, they pushed back LittleBigPlanet 2 just to make sure GT5 had enough space.  Sony put all their eggs into one game for the holiday.  This is the ONLY exclusive game from Sony for the holiday (not counting Move crap)...and it'll be an amazing month coming up. 

The media and press will put this game under the most intense microscope they can find, and every fault will be shown.  This game won't just have to live up to hype, but every fault will be analyzed. 

The Real Driving Simulator, will it be worth it with just less than a month to go?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

How about waiting until it actually releases to propose such a theory?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CitizenKane: ...dude, no other racing game is even near GT5's story of development.  Forza has been rushed out every 2 years, NFS games have been out regularly, and Burnout has been doing their thing. 

Yamauchi has put absolutely everything into this game, he raced a 24 hour circuit just to test out the tracks.   

Show me another racing game that has had the same story as GT5, or is even trying to do what GT5 is doing.  Hell, Forza doesn't even support the G27 and Porche racing wheels...Yamauchi made sure GT5 supports both.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jkz
    @CitizenKane said:
    " How about waiting until it actually releases to propose such a theory? "
    This thread need go no further...although I fear that it will.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

In your lifetime, maybe.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

@KaosAngel said:

" $60,000,000 with years of investment

That makes it important to Poly, not me.
    I don't really care about "the story", not to mention that most tales about years of delay tend to have less-than-happy endings.

@KaosAngel said:

The media and press will put this game under the most intense microscope they can find, and every fault will be shown.  This game won't just have to live up to hype, but every fault will be analyzed.

I also think we're gonna find a real balance here between the critics that do exactly what you say here, and the critics that have already written their 10/10s sight unseen.

@KaosAngel said:

Was it worth it?

I'm sure fans will feel it was worth it and then some. I think it's bound to be the best racing sim to date, but personally, I don't know if it's gonna be the head-and-shoulders above that the hardcores like yourself are assuming it will be.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

Great.  Looking forward to the "This is the greatest game ever made" and subsequently, "This is the most disappointing game ever made" threads from you. 

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By raiz265

i prefer mario kart

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By vaiz
    @KaosAngel said:
    The biggest and riskiest game in our lifetime yet.
    If you're basing this off development time and money put in to the game, may I direct you to Duke Nukem Forever.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Scooper

I think GT12 will really be the racing game of our lifetime.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss

@EvilTwin said:

" Great.  Looking forward to the "This is the greatest game ever made" and subsequently, "This is the most disappointing game ever made" threads from you.  "

The game could turn out to be a turd in a jewel case and you won't hear a whisper of disappointment from the GT crowd. :P
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

With all that investment, it had better be more boring than Forza 3. That game put me to sleep faster than a Nytol.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck

And this game still seems really uninteresting. Sorry to break it to you, but racing is far too much of a niche genre for it to hold a groundbreaking importance that will affect every other company in the world.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

No, no it wont be.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin
    @ProfessorEss said:
    "   @EvilTwin said:

" Great.  Looking forward to the "This is the greatest game ever made" and subsequently, "This is the most disappointing game ever made" threads from you.  "

The game could turn out to be a turd in a jewel case and you won't hear a whisper of disappointment from the GT crowd. :P "
    Not from the GT faithful, no, from KaosAngel.  He has something of a reputation for hyperbole.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zithe
    @Azteck said:
    " And this game still seems really uninteresting. Sorry to break it to you, but racing is far too much of a niche genre for it to hold a groundbreaking importance that will affect every other company in the world. "
    I have to agree with this. OP 's post seems quite exaggerated.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By landon
    @raiz265 said:
    " i prefer mario kart "
    I don't know why, but this made me laugh.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman

Are you fucking kidding me?

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm going to laugh my ass off if it gets delayed again.  

@JJWeatherman said:

" Are you fucking kidding me? "

Also, this.  Your obsession with this game is beyond absurd at this point.  
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By WEGGLES

If GT5 fails, it will do nothing more than prove that games can't be focused into a decade of development.    

Really? Products can't spend 10 years in development? At some point spending more time on a game yields smaller and smaller returns?
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By swamplord666

is it still releasing on the 5 of noveember? if so i can't wait to see RD shaved into Johnny Vs chest and back

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Baillie

Shut up. Stop making a new thread every other day how GT5 is the best game ever. How can you say Forza is 'rushing' out their games? They've all been FANTASTIC. 

Honestly, it's like FFXIII taught you nothing.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Baillie: Don't go to the GT5 board?
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hockeymask27

Wow you really had to make another GT5 thread. I'm starting to think your pr for the game company.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RockAction

Interesting theory. A lot of developers are looking to shorter development times and producing games that are as good, but maybe a little shorter in story etc 

Look at Valve as an example,  i know there was contention with the release of L4D2 a year later than the original, but for Valve thats pretty impressive - contrary to this however Valve also claim to have HL2Ep3 in the works which has been years so maybe some projects just take longer than others 

I definitely think that huge investment and long development will probably lessen, i don't think it will disappear; especially for huge sellers like the GTA franchise - but for something like Mafia 2 (which i think was also around the $50/60m range) they will try to get that out quicker and for less investment 

I think its the race to have everything AAA; in that there are no longer 'good' games, good is the new bad, everything has to be 'great' or AAA or 95+ with critics etc and to hit that you have to have everything, like multiplayer 

if anything i can imagine a slightly larger budget for a larger team to get a game out quicker, but i dont know, it depends on the game / company / market i guess 

as far as GT5 being the most important racing game of our lifetime? i dont know, the series is probably the most significant in general but i dont know what sets GT5 apart as defining other than its bound to be good, cost a lot to make, took ages and will help move even more PS3s 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman

Man, when you latch onto a game, you REALLY latch on to it, huh?

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZeroCast

The long development cycle of this game and all the things the development team went through doesn't equate it to as being the most important. In fact, it could be the most interesting, the most anticipated, but claiming importance just because of the investment it went through? Maybe to you it is but to others it's just the next big iteration in the GT franchise.A racing simulation game. Whether it fails or succeeds however, is all up to the players acceptance.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Milkman said:
    " Man, when you latch onto a game, you REALLY latch on to it, huh? "
    Dude I spent $100 on the game, $250 on the G27 wheel, and it'll cost me $400 for the racing chair.  I frickin' spent $70,000 on my car earlier in the summer, and I'm telling you...after being in Tokyo for my entire adulthood, having cars again is something amazing. 

I forgot how much I love driving.  I put more money into this game than I do for consoles.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @KaosAngel: it doesn't exist yet and your strange obsession with this game is well exactly that strange, i really hope this game is terrible just to see what happens to you.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By XenoNick
    @Baillie said:
    " Shut up. Stop making a new thread every other day how GT5 is the best game ever. How can you say Forza is 'rushing' out their games? They've all been FANTASTIC. Honestly, it's like FFXIII taught you nothing. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10 years of development and $60,000,000 and they still used the photoshop smudge tool for damage modeling? 

good thing i'm not a fan of racing sims, i'd be pissed. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By beargirl1

what is even...  

ugh. 

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baillie
    @KaosAngel: Why? I can look forward to GT5 without masturbating violently over the franchise, I'm asking you do the same thing. It's not family friendly.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By babblinmule
    @raiz265 said:
    " i prefer mario kart "
    A simple, but strangely brilliant line.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Baillie: Can you PLEASE bump my threads from when I was living in Tokyo and hung out with CheapyD?  You always post in my threads, so can you PLEASE bump the ones when I at TGS?  >.<
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DoctorWelch

It's just a racing game dude.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Patriarch

Just no. It'll come out, it'll be somewhere between good, great and awesome, and much fun will be had by racing lovers.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GoofyGoober
    @raiz265: I agree. GT is fine, but after all of this time waiting I am pretty sure there will be a lot of people who won't think it is as good as it should of been.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikeeegeee
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sixghost
    @KaosAngel said:

" @CitizenKane: ...dude, no other racing game is even near GT5's story of development.  Forza has been rushed out every 2 years, NFS games have been out regularly, and Burnout has been doing their thing.  Yamauchi has put absolutely everything into this game, he raced a 24 hour circuit just to test out the tracks.    Show me another racing game that has had the same story as GT5, or is even trying to do what GT5 is doing.  Hell, Forza doesn't even support the G27 and Porche racing wheels...Yamauchi made sure GT5 supports both. "

Becuase nothing screams "guaranteed quality" like a 10 year dev cycle.
      @KaosAngel said:

" @Milkman said:

" Man, when you latch onto a game, you REALLY latch on to it, huh? "
    Dude I spent $100 on the game, $250 on the G27 wheel, and it'll cost me $400 for the racing chair.  I frickin' spent $70,000 on my car earlier in the summer, and I'm telling you...after being in Tokyo for my entire adulthood, having cars again is something amazing.  I forgot how much I love driving.  I put more money into this game than I do for consoles. "

Oblig. random gloating/reference to being in law school
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baillie
    @KaosAngel: I'll get onto it if I find any overhyped posts.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By borgmaster

So you gotta bash Forza to make GT look good?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sixghost
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @mikeeegeee: Can you bump the threads when I hung out with CheapyD, worked for Donna Burke, and other stuff in Tokyo?  You like my threads!  :D 

@sixghost:

SC2 Bro.  EDIT:  Belated Congrats.  :) "
    I think it's been made pretty clear that SC2 wasn't in development for anything close to 10 years. It's been said in numerous interviews that the whole thing was basically halted until 05ish because of WoW.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RsistncE

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit looks better.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yoctoyotta

My impression of what Yamauchi has said is that they're laying a lot of ground work and capturing vehicle data in such an overkill manner that they won't need to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended, but nice pun right?!) for the next couple of GT games. For a series that relies so heavily on historically accurate things (in this case, cars) that will never change, I think their tremendous, drawn out efforts here are actually brilliant business. They're saving a shitload of money in the long term by doing this right, now, in a way that will serve Gran Turismo not only on the PS3, but the PS4 as well, instead of having to go back and re-model these cars every time they reiterate the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is the most hyperbolic blog title of my lifetime. 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By ZombiePie

I will actually respond to this thread when the histrionics are done.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KaosAngel
    @YoctoYotta: So you think GT6 will be for the PS4 or the swan-song for the PS3?  Yamauchi said he already started on GT6, and can now add all the newer 2011 cars, extras he couldn't put into GT5 and other stuff.  I think GT6 will keep up with 2 GTs per console.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
    @YoctoYotta: So you think GT6 will be for the PS4 or the swan-song for the PS3?  Yamauchi said he already started on GT6, and can now add all the newer 2011 cars, extras he couldn't put into GT5 and other stuff.  I think GT6 will keep up with 2 GTs per console.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.