Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo

Franchise »

The Real Driving Simulator (in the comfort of your own home)

Why Do People Dislike The License Tests?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

I've heard it on many podcasts this week, and one of the biggest problems people have with the GT series is that the License Tests shouldn't be there. 

I don't get why people dislike them so much, I really enjoy them and end up learning a lot at the end.  Some of the tests even help you as a better driver, as you know how to properly judge breaking pressure and whatnot.   

Maybe it's because most reviewers don't drive to work and whatnot (as many of them take public transportation), but for me as a driver, I find them fun and interesting. 

Sure the game is locked out if you can't do them, but that's the entire point of the GT series.  They're like boss battles, and you're leveling up.  :| 

So people who dislike License Tests...what's your reason?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @KaosAngel said:
      Sure the game is locked out if you can't do them "  
     That's probably why. 
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By manhattan_project
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
      Sure the game is locked out if you can't do them "  
     That's why.  "
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Manhattan_Project: Do you guys complain in RPGs when you can't beat a boss and progress the story? 

It's the same thing.  x.x
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rawrz

Well people want to play the game and if they cant do that due to not being able to pass the first thing in the game its not very fun. It didn't help that the older games in the series didn't have much in helping you learn how to get better so if you couldn't pass the license test then well there wasn't much else for someone to do.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McGhee

Because it's boring, slow, and I hate breaking. Give me balls-to-the-wall JET MOTTO any day. That's right, I said Jet Motto.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Binman88

I don't dislike them. I don't drive and the licence tests are one of the main things I'm looking forward to doing. They're on of the most enjoyable challenges in the series. The people who complain about them are probably the type of people who don't like to be challenged - ie. the majority of the gaming press.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Rawrz: But GT4 added the driving line, to help newcomers learn when to break and when to gas.  I mean, the first License Set in B was so much easier, so right there...newcomers have access to the easy races. 

Plus, there's always Arcade Mode...that's not License dependent.  :\
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @KaosAngel: Somebody who has already played a lot of previous GT games probably already knows how to play the game really well, and having to unlock big parts of the game by doing these necessary license tests is really boring. 

I should probably also mention that I've never really had an issue with the tests. I kinda like them actually.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Pazy
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Manhattan_Project: Do you guys complain in RPGs when you can't beat a boss and progress the story?  It's the same thing.  x.x "
    If its the start of the game I probably would. The license tests demand a level of precision most people are not ready for at the start of the game. I found that even some Gran Turismo fans have difficutly with then, I asked a friend (who mainly plays racing games and has play GT since the PS1 days) and he spent 45 minutes doing a single test even though he has done all the license tests in every game with the maximum rating. I find it annoying since I can play the races and win them but I cant do the license tests.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @BulletproofMonk: If the game doesn't teach you how to properly race, and you end up crashing the entire races...does it make a difference?   

The point of the License is to get you to understand you can't play this like Burnout or other racers and to get you used to the pressure sensitive buttons on the Dual Shock.   

What difference would it make if the game wasn't locked, and you still couldn't win races due to having no help from the License?
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm just a bit sick of doing them again and again. Granted, I've done them before but it's just so time consuming.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Because it's boring, slow, and I hate breaking. Give me balls-to-the-wall JET MOTTO any day. That's right, I said Jet Motto. "
    Technician fo life!
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By frankxiv
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Manhattan_Project: Do you guys complain in RPGs when you can't beat a boss and progress the story?  It's the same thing.  x.x "
    if the boss is the absolute first thing in the game? sure. 

personally i have no problem with them, but honestly license tests really serve no purpose. anything they could be teaching you you could roll into some kind of tutorial race if you need to learn the controls or something, because that's about all they will teach you that has any kind of practical application in the game. 

the fact that it's not optional only makes it worse, since everyone hates forced, overlong tutorial sections.
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I couldn't do them in the first game so I said screw it and stopped playing it. But, I was like seven years old at the time and wanted something akin to Test Drive. Gran Turismo certainly wasn't that lol.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel:  In RPGs you level up and gain skills by facing smaller enemies. The license tests would be like an RPG teaching you the mechanics of the game by throwing you into a boss battle.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Manhattan_Project: ...so it's like a PC RPG.  :P 

But I hear ya, everyone is saying they're easier in GT5 so hopefully less people complain this time.  x.x
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee
    @JJWeatherman: Hell yeah! XD 
    Man, I'd love to see a reboot of that series.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Grissefar

I like them. They're challenging and probably a big part of the success of the GT series. A reward with no challenge involved is just not rewarding. I know Jeff thinks so, but maybe that's just a side effect of playing a million games as a game reviewer. Being impatient and just want it all right in front of you.

I only played GT 1 but I remember we spent a ton of time on those tests. We never unlocked the best license but we had a ton of fun playing with all the licenses and the races that we could play with the first two licenses.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By alternate

In an RPG you don't have to beat a boss before the game proper starts.  It is a tutorial that locks away the main game.  Maybe you are crap at games, maybe you are really good but find taking the licence tests really boring - either way you paid for the game and  you shouldn't have to pass a tutorial to unlock the game proper.  Earning cars already takes care of the "levelling up" and this aspect is just antiquated design.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Yanngc33

Because its already a pain in the ass in real life

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because the gaming press has this urgent need to beat a game in the shortest time possible, and while RPGs can be long and grinding, they at least feel like they are making progress wheres a license test you can work on it for a while and still never get anywhere if your driving skills just isn't there. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.