ice racing

#1 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -

So, who has managed to win an ice race? I have an Mr super car with knobby tires, big wing, v12 and ice tracks but the best I can manage is third.

Just read on an unrelated post that there is 4wd too, do I need this first?

Either way great game :)

#2 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -

I've beaten every track.

A lot of times it comes to driver skill and using an aura at the very start of the race. In the really competitive tracks, it's more about boosting early and holding the lead then it is duking it out. 

Make sure that you've leveled up the super car as much as you can. MR is really not the way to go, you're better off with FF if you don't have 4WD. What you'll lose in speed and acceleration won't matter much since you're bringing a V12 to the party.  The MR is negative on ice, the tire chains help offset that but you're looking for an advantage on the surface, not to just break even.

You might also want to beat Egypt to get the Studless Tires. You could probably use your existing car minus the tire chains but add a seamless gear since it's another one where you wanna get off to a big-ass start.

#3 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -

I just gave Russia a spin. It's the hardest ice course in the game. I went: 

FF Supercar (S: 354 / A: 254 / H:394), Studless Tires, V12 Engine, Wing and Tire Chains. 

Used my backup driver (since he had aura), with an aura dash at the beginning. Came in first by about 2 seconds. I didn't have big wing researched on that save, but I don't doubt it'd be an improvement.  

Part of the beauty of the Supercar is it handles like crazy by itself. You're going to get a lot of victories on that alone. I beat Chimpan Island and Kairoland with a Supercar, so it really can win any race. What's important is really, really stacking those bonuses. For my highscore game I had an on road Supercar, an off road Supercar and an ice Supercar. Normally running the on road and off road in the GP (the second driver doesn't matter as much, they're there for me to harvest research data and provide xp to the parts). 

I've not yet come up with a build order that will successfully let me rush to Mach Car, so I don't have a playthrough where I really maxed that out, but that said Supercar is my favorite.

#4 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

I pretty much destroyed the ice course in the last grand prix with a supercar with 435/344/318, and a V12, Superchrgr, wing, and studless tires. Maxed out studless tires gave a double O rating on the course. The stats are probably off because I'm looking at an endgame car that I kept upgrading, but I think the Superchrgr was key: ice courses lead to tons of pile-ups and lead to a lot of hard breaking. Since the Superchrgr kicks in on low acceleration, it worked amazingly on ice courses. For everything else, the Turbochrgr was awesome.

I never used an aura during a race because the timing was never right and i was afraid it would wear off. I pretty much only used it for training nearly maxed-out stats on my drivers, installing/upgrading parts, or building cars. Letting it run on repair or research was a complete waste because those things will happen eventually and don't benefit from the aura except for reduced time.

Any idea what the different aura colors meant, though? I saw yellow, red, and blue, I think. They all seemed to be generally effective, but it would have been nice to know if they had a special application they excelled at (or if there was a consistent way to trigger them!).

#5 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -
@onan said:

Any idea what the different aura colors meant, though? I saw yellow, red, and blue, I think. They all seemed to be generally effective, but it would have been nice to know if they had a special application they excelled at (or if there was a consistent way to trigger them!).

It's debatable. I've been trying to figure that out. It's really, really, really hard for me to test these out since I can't control when I get aura and which one I get. Ultimately I'd like to test each one on all different aspects with the same character with the same stats. 

The only other info I've found on the game is a japanese wiki faq and the only thing that sounds reasonably concrete on that is when you're installing add-on's the color of aura affects how effective the change was. Gold is 3 times, silver is 2.5, blue is 2 and red is 1.5. 

Again, I've not checked that out but it is the only specifics they get into. I want to test that out, but the only idea I've had revolves around starting with a save and then just waiting for an aura to occur, try it out on a race/qualifier/upgrade/install/training document what happened and then close without save. Repeat. 

Which is time consuming and I don't have that kinda time to be consumed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.