Grand Slam Tennis & Wii Motion Plus (Video Demo)

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Wii front cover

EA Sports have released a short video demo showcasing the use of Wii Motion Plus with their upcoming Grand Slam Tennis title.

Confirmed players are
:

John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Stefan Edberg , Boris Becker, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick, Novak Djokovic Andy Murray, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Pat Cash, Justine Henin, Micheal Stich, Lindsay Davenport, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewiit, Venus Williams, Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic.

The game arrives on US shores on June 17th, 2009.

Thanks to GoNintendo

#2 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Motion Control greatness aside: Can't you control your character with the Nunchuck? That'd be very, very meh. It's the one thing that makes Mario Power Tennis PoW so much better than Wii Sports Tennis, that you not only have to do the right hits, but only stand in the right position (and throw yourself after the ball if you need to).

How does Virtua Tennis handle this?

#3 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Wow, this looks really nice. Practice modes looks really coo, too, since I can't think of another Tennis game having this feature. Is WiiMotionPlus required to play this game?

#4 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Meowayne said:
"Motion Control greatness aside: Can't you control your character with the Nunchuck? That'd be very, very meh. It's the one thing that makes Mario Power Tennis PoW so much better than Wii Sports Tennis, that you not only have to do the right hits, but only stand in the right position (and throw yourself after the ball if you need to).How does Virtua Tennis handle this?"

You can definitely control player movement with the Nunchuk. I would not be surprised if there's even a motion controlled lean function, similar to SSX Blur, for leaning to receive the ball during another players service game.

It looks awesome, you can already see the amount of fun that's going to be had from this. I have come around to this game slowly but surely, Virtua Tennis held the top spot  in my mind given the heritage, but this looks to be very well conceived. And I also now really like the art style.

How does Virtua Tennis handle this?

I have no idea, but I cannot wait to see how they're going to attempt to top this.

@ Karkum

No, it's not required, but it's bound to increase the overall pleasure you receive from the game.

#5 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

If I had the money, I would buy this and Tiger Woods, but for now I guess Tiger will have to do. There are so many games coming out in the next few months that I want. The Klonoa remake comes out next month.

#6 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Both are said to be great according to IGN's Nintendo team.

Multiplayer Trailer

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.