GTA, China town wars first screens

• 77 results
#1 Edited by Chaos (97 posts) -

I found these today while checking out DS news. only reason Im not posting them up on the image gallery is becuase the waterwark, and im not a believer in cropping an image just to get points. 

caption
caption

#2 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

They look... bad.

#3 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Pathetic

#4 Posted by Weltal (2276 posts) -

Looks like it could be good. GTA 2 style with some 3D in there. Crappy screens though.

#5 Posted by Tearhead (2214 posts) -

Lol, wtf... the people look like shit, and is everyone like almost the same size of the cars?

#6 Edited by Riddler (1528 posts) -

I puked a little in my mouth.

Looks like SHIT.........and why are people bigger than Cars?
#7 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
Tearhead said:
"Lol, wtf... the people look like shit, and is everyone like almost the same size of the cars?"
I can't even tell who's who...
#8 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

I really hope this game turns out good.

#9 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

That... looks... disgusting...
But it looks like its going for that arcadey GTA 2 look. Electric/Taser gun, anybody?

#10 Posted by Chaos (97 posts) -

checking out other boards everyone been having the same reaction to the screens.  more info i got from Gamekyo

- True GTA game - sandbox gameplay, open-world environment, gritty crime narrative.
- M-rating
- Isometric camera angle
- Cel-shaded polygons w/ black borders
- good touch-screen implementation - 'tasteful' minigames, streamlining interface
- UI based on a PDA - hub for email, contacts, map, music player, GPS, stat-tracking
- stats uploaded to Rockstar Social Club website via Wi-Fi
- finger-sized icons
- missions designed for shorter periods of play, arcade quality
- aiming with control pad, auto targeting with R button
- subtle autosteer
- if you fail a mission, you can jump back to the action sequence
- chain gun, flamethrower
- good portion of Liberty City is modeled in the game (different routes than console games)
- no probems with load times, draw-in or frame rate
- lots of pedestrians, cars, etc on screen
Wanted system - objective is to disable police cars any way possible
- real-time weather effects, 24-hour day/night cycle
- lots of radio stations to listen to (more instrumentals than vocals)
- 800,000 lines of hand-optimized source code (hey, the people like the info, right?)
- no details yet on multiplayer/Wi-Fi features

#11 Posted by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -

Yeah reminds me of the earlier games

#12 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -

ewwwwwww this saddens me

#13 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Sandbox gameplay? Yeah, the people look like they were made from grains of sand.

ZING

#14 Posted by Ravey (330 posts) -

Looks alright, you can't exactly see much in the scans but I really liked the first GTA game.

#15 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I'm glad that they are going with an iso camera...but touch screen stuff? I dont know about all that...

#16 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -
#17 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

that looks like complete crap.

#18 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -

looks good for the ds and shitty for everything else. R* should bring this to iPhone.

#19 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

The original game looked better than this.

#20 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Hopefully it'll look better in motion..

#21 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
#22 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -

Thats fucking horrible. Looks like this is going to be the first ever GTA game under A.

#23 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Thats fucking horrible. Looks like this is going to be the first ever GTA game under A."
did you even check out my link?
#24 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
#25 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"They look... bad."
You cant expet much more from the DS, it just cant put out GFXmuch better than that.
#26 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
caption
#27 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Endogene said:
"AaronBelfast said:
"Thats fucking horrible. Looks like this is going to be the first ever GTA game under A."
did you even check out my link?"
Yes I did. Look at the GTA games released on PSX from birds eye view, they were shit. Not to mention this is 2008.
#28 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Endogene said:
"AaronBelfast said:
Yes I did. Look at the GTA games released on PSX from birds eye view, they were shit. Not to mention this is 2008."
I played through those "shit" games actually, and the fact that it is 2008 has nothing to do with it.
The only reason i can think of that you cant appreciate this is that you want this to be your GTA4 DS.
#29 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

This thread is extremely sad. The game looks fantastic on the DS, they even made a completely new artstyle to match the systems capabilities, and the screens (all of them, not just the two bad ones in the first post) look like this could finally be a worthy successor GTA and GTA2, which I'm sure most of the people posting here haven't even played.

I strongly suggest everyone looking at the nintendoeverything-screens: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=3857

My only gripe is: Why, why did they use polygonal cars and people instead of using sprites? Sprites would look and work much better, and by the look of those screens they can only have, like, 5 or 6 people and 3/4 cars simultanously on the screens (2000 visibly poly limit on the DS). Instead we get stupid poly character with the cheap black outline that is found on many DS games.

#30 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
#31 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
Endogene said:
"GTA 1 and 2 are legally downloadable for free at
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/"
Bu-bu-but its not on PS3 and its not even 3D! This shit is sooo gaaaay!

Man, those other screens make it look ALOT better. I also think people forgot that the top two are scans and the rest are taken from a camera. I want to see this sonnabitch in motion.
#32 Edited by Robocop111 (148 posts) -

I think the game would be great, you want to know what other game would be great for the DS? its my game Robocop vs The Terminator, remember that game? it was a great game.

#33 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
Emilio said:
"Endogene said:
"GTA 1 and 2 are legally downloadable for free at
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/"
Bu-bu-but its not on PS3 and its not even 3D! 
Not to mention the fact that you can actually see! In real colours!!
#34 Edited by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Endogene said:
"AaronBelfast said:
Yes I did. Look at the GTA games released on PSX from birds eye view, they were shit. Not to mention this is 2008."
I played through those "shit" games actually, and the fact that it is 2008 has nothing to do with it.
The only reason i can think of that you cant appreciate this is that you want this to be your GTA4 DS.
"
We both know GTA is not meant for the DS, Rockstar said themselves they wanted to make GTAIV as real as possible, even getting rid of the fun things that was in previous GTAs just to make GTAIV a bit more realistic. So why the hell are they making GTA for the DS? I'll tell you why, because this is they're chance to milk the GTA franchise to make a bit of easy money and then blame the DS as the as the reason the Chinatown Wars is such a bad game, in terms of graphics and gameplay. Hell, PSX games looked better than this.
#35 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

looks like gta 2

#36 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Graphics Whore said:
"Hell, PSX games looked better than this."
Well, duh. The PSX is technically superior to the DS.
#37 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"Graphics Whore said:
Well, duh. The PSX is technically superior to the DS."
Graphics whore?  I'm just pointing out that a yet to be released game has worse graphics than a 14 year old game. It would be OK if the gameplay made up for it but from what I've seen that looks crap too.
#38 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

This game is looking quite odd, but I can't help but be a little intrigued by the screens I've just seen.

#39 Posted by Thriftweed (2 posts) -

I actually have a lot of faith in this and Rockstar, this will be great!

Thanks for the shots/links everyone

#40 Posted by Thriftweed (2 posts) -

I actually have a lot of faith in this and Rockstar, this will be great!

Thanks for the shots/links everyone

#41 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I want this to turn out good so I can use my DS more, but I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing.  Only time will tell.

#42 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I didn't know they were remaking the first game.

Those screenshots really do not look good.

#43 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Meowayne said:
"Graphics Whore said:
Graphics whore?  I'm just pointing out that a yet to be released game has worse graphics than a 14 year old game. It would be OK if the gameplay made up for it but from what I've seen that looks crap too."
Exfuckingcuse me?

GTA

GTA 2

China Town Wars

And Jesus Christ, you've already seen all the game play just by looking at a couple of scans? China Town Wars it NOT Grand Theft Auto IV. It is NOT Grand Theft Auto V. It is NOT Liberty City Stories 2. It is a spiritual successor to the Classic ( have you even played them? ) GTAs of old. Get it?
#44 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -

Wow.  Way too many people jump to conclusions around here.  It looks good for a DS game.  Besides, when did GTA ever have amazing graphics?  It's all about the story, gameplay, freedom, etc.

#45 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Looks really bad. 

#46 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I am really surprised by the amount of hate going on here...I guess no one here was ever a fan of the original GTA games.

#47 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Emilio is right, this is exactly what I was expecting to see on the DS, it doesn't look bad.

#48 Posted by DeeJay (101 posts) -

Sweet, I can't wait

/sarcasm

#49 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Endogene said:
"AaronBelfast said:
Not to mention this is a DS game.  What kind of expectations do you have? =(
#50 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Meowayne said:
"Graphics Whore said:
Graphics whore?  I'm just pointing out that a yet to be released game has worse graphics than a 14 year old game. It would be OK if the gameplay made up for it but from what I've seen that looks crap too."
Because you totally have access to secret gameplay footage, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.