Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Take control of Huang Lee, the son of a Triad mob boss, in an destructive romp throughout Liberty City in his quest for revenge, money and honour in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

IGN Review is surprising.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By RedSox8933
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By ZombiePie

Just goes to show you that it's not how much power you have but how you use that matters the most. Clearly Leeds knows exactly how to develop for the DS, this purchase is a no brainer. However why Nintendo thought it was a good idea to release the DSi before this game beats the hell out of me, some of my friends are holding out on this game until the DSi gets released in the States.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rio

Looks like a lot of fun, I'm definitely gonna go pick it up tomorrow.  I havent played my DS in a while so it will be a good time.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Captain_Fookup

This is going to be the first game I purchase with my shiny new DSi when it comes out.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tekmojo

Looks like a lot of fun, too bad the only handheld I have is a phone. :(

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

it sounds like a awesome game. A score as good as that makes it impossible to pass up.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I hope GB reviews this, definitively worth a look.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

The game has been getting great scores from pretty much everyone right now...I figured the game would be well received, but I am a bit shocked at just how high all the scores have been so far.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Discorsi

How was this surprising >.>

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool

Where are the nay-sayers now?  I believe that I am finally going to actually enjoy a Grand Theft Auto game.  Now bring on a proper, built from the ground up, Wii GTA.

GamePro
    This is Grand Theft Auto the way you love it: all of the innovation, charm and thrills from its past installations neatly tied together in a creative package worthy of any DS owner. 
    EuroGamer
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is a triumph, not just in terms of bringing a difficult game to a new platform intact, but because it actually improves it in the process, and demonstrates a mastery of DS form and function. 
    Cynamite
    Great scope, nice car handling, awesome multiplayer – Rockstar delivers extraordinary GTA quality on a small display. 
    Games Radar (in-house)
    Shameless developers trotting out shallow minigame anthologies and SNES era RPGs should stand in embarrassment at just how much potential Rockstar Leeds managed to wring from a console this late in its lifespan. Gentlemen, it’s time to beg your girlfriend for that DS back. Perhaps you could trade in your PS3 - it’s not like that’s getting more GTA anytime soon. 
    IGN
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars continues GTA's legacy as the premiere "sandbox" game design. Though it might look like a lot has changed in the move to the handheld platform, more has been added than taken away. 
    Gameplayer
    The game is also unashamedly adult in its content and we, for one, see as a breath of fresh (marijuana scented) air on the platform. Dealing drugs, hand making molotovs, chainsawing people in half, swearing up a storm, blowing people’s heads off with a sniper rifle – it’s all in here, and if you’re underage you had better check with your olds before getting it. Or don’t, and just hide it really well. Whatever works. 
    IGN AU
    For Nintendo-only gamers out there – and these days, there are more of you than ever – this is an authentic Grand Theft Auto experience. It isn't watered down; it's as fun and foul-mouthed as any series-proper installment. While not perfect, it'll suck you in and keep you up at night like a chronic addiction. Hook it to our veins. 
    Game Informer
    Don’t let the diminutive size or nostalgic look fool you, this is just as complete of a Grand Theft Auto experience as any of the console iterations. 
    Computer and Video Games
    A seriously good, fat-free but surprisingly deep GTA experience - that you can play on the toilet. 
    IGN UK
    The definitive GTA? That depends where your tastes lie, but either way there’s no denying this is a masterpiece of handheld gaming. 
    1UP
    Chinatown Wars is what I expected -- it takes an understandable few steps back from GTA4, but also takes a couple forward (a touch screen can do that). It's a well-honed "core" GTA on the handheld, not merely a one-to-one clone of its console parents. 
    GameSpy
    My highest recommendation: Though I'm done with my review, I'm far from done playing. In spite of my early kneejerk dismissal, I can't get enough of this crazy little unregulated dystopia where you can get heavy assault weapons delivered to your doorstep. 
    Total Video Games
    The faster pace, variety, and use of the touchscreen makes for a less real, yet more entertaining GTA experience perfectly suited for the popular handheld. 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

I'm still weary of this game... GTAIV got a lot of 10/10 scores and GOTY awards, but I hated what I played(I don't actually own the game). I'll probably get this though...

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kohe321

I hope GB reviews it as well. I haven't had anything to play on my DS for a while... I think I'll pick this up in a few weeks :)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

Woah. I knew this would be well received but, honestly, I'm blown away that it's been this well received.

Amazing scores. Makes me want to click that "Add To Basket" button.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gizmo

OldSchool, if you didn't think GTA IV was a superb game, you must be very spoilt and have a terrible taste in video-games.

Also, a Wii only GTA?

Don't make me laugh...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
    Gizmo said:
    "OldSchool, if you didn't think GTA IV was a superb game, you must be very spoilt and have a terrible taste in video-games.Also, a Wii only GTA? Don't make me laugh..."
    GTAIV totally was an amazing game.

I don't see why a Wii-only GTA game wouldn't be feasible though, after all the system does have the largest install-base of the three.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Gizmo said:
    "OldSchool, if you didn't think GTA IV was a superb game, you must be very spoilt and have a terrible taste in video-games.Also, a Wii only GTA? Don't make me laugh..."

Why is a Wii only GTA game laughable, I'm confused?, this is a DS only GTA game. The Wii may well get it's own spin off game very soon on the evidence of the quality of this game.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Well it IS Grand Theft Auto... of course it's a masterpiece.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

WOah thats a high score.

i'm remembering people going 2this game is teh vomit" because of it's 2-dimensionality. owned

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

When I pick up a DSi, I think I might have to get it. It sounds like it features some interesting new ideas that very well could work their way into GTAV. Even IGN comments about that possibility with the way that you lose cops by aggressively causing them to wreck their cars and such. I think that's definitely a cool idea. That's how it's usually done in the movies. Also, the drug dealing and hotwiring of cars... they seem like they'd be a good addition as well. I thought the drug dealing aspect in particular sounded pretty awesome. I found it to be a pretty enjoyable aspect when it was in Scarface: The World is Yours.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I had hope in this game from the beginning. I am very glad it actually turned out to match my expectations. This is a buy in a few days for me.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By daz0608

Good timing for Nintendo, coming out the similar time as the DSi, I don't think this will be enough for me to get a DS though

DeeDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeeDee
    Discorsi said:
    "How was this surprising >.>"
    I guess because IGN didn't give it a 9.3 or 9.7?  <_>
    kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kozzy1234

Looks so awesome, cant wait.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shadows_kill

reminds me of the gta4 reviews and seeing how gta4 was for me i will prolly pass on this...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By TheHBK

Cool, might be the first DS game I get in 2 years.
    Edit:  Oh wait.  Its about chinatown...pass..

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By JonathanMoore

Well... who knew...

-- God Bless.

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PartTimeNinja

After playing it yesterday and today, I definitely believe this game deserves that score. It's pretty damn amazing.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedSox8933

also, the metacritic score right now is 95, the highest scoring DS game so far.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Lotan

It's quite excellent.  I am addictied to the drug trading mini-game.  It's pretty much Drug Wars, and I played that on my caluclator when I should have been paying attention in high school.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedSox8933
    Lotan said:
    "It's quite excellent.  I am addictied to the drug trading mini-game.  It's pretty much Drug Wars, and I played that on my caluclator when I should have been paying attention in high school."
    yeah, that does look pretty awesome from the IGN video review.
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Babble

Can't wait to pick this up. I wasn't expecting it to come close to being a full fledged GTA game but now it looks like it is doing just that in its own way.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By EpicSteve

I playedthe game several weeks ago, I can say it's worth 35 bucks.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilDingo

I've payed close to no attention to this game, but seeing that video-review and reading the review on euro-gamer has immediately made me interested in it.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RedSox8933
    EvilDingo said:
    "I've payed close to no attention to this game, but seeing that video-review and reading the review on euro-gamer has immediately made me interested in it."
    that's what it was like for me.
    Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wright

gamespot gave it a 9.5 as well =) and I thought the game looked lame at first.

BLAUcopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BLAUcopter

SOLD!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldschool
    Gizmo said:
    Giz, I don't doubt for one second that GTA IV IS a totally amazing game.  I have never played it.  Thing is, my personal view is that GTA games tend not to do much for me.  Granted I only have the PSP games and GTA III and I stopped because I couldn't see what others could.

As for my taste in video games, that's a big call and you may be right, but you always check out my game lists (still under construction), but to be right, they must on average, very poorly rated games.  Personal tatse is not a fact, it is an opinion.

If you believe that there won't be a Wii specific game smetime soon, you are being naive.  If it can work on the DS, then it can work on the Wii.  The current availability of very adult games on the Wii is showing developers that they can take a chance.  They will just work on an art style that suits the hardware, which they are very good at.
    switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By switchit
    Linkyshinks said:
    "I wonder how these final scores will compare to the two PSP games when it's already getting so many perfect scores already.

A GTA Wii game will have to come about now.

PSP Games:

"
    If im not mistaken the PSP games where the original ported to the PSP. Im not sure since i didnt play 3 and Vice City. The PSP games where great of what i remember, i definatly had alot of fun with them. But since this a original GTA game it might get som better scores. Also, the PSP generaly gets a bit lover scores for some reason.
    AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AspiringAndy
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zereta

GTA IV scored high and while it was a great game, I didn't find it fun. CW is scoring just as high and I'm deciding on whether I buy it or not. I probably will, even if its just to bring out my DS, which I haven't touched in nearly a year.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Gmanall

I have not played it but I think that it would be better with a 3rd Person view. Other than that it seems good.

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By switchit
    Gmanall said:
    " I have not played it but I think that it would be better with a 3rd Person view. Other than that it seems good."
    Let me tell you, it works very well. Also, i dont think the DS is capable of making a fully fledged GTA game like GTA: CT with a third person view. At least not with any decent graphics. So im glad they choce to do a top-down version.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Linkyshinks

I got this today, with a card which unlocks free content online. I have to get home and play this,  now!

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I'll totally have to buy this at some point...

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kr3lian

I picked up GTA: CTW three days ago.  I think I've put like 15-20 hours in already.  This is the best game on DS, and may very well be the best game on a handheld this generation ( i don't own a PSP, so have only played select portions of a few games).

And this is not hyperbole: this game is better than GTA4.  Feel free to disagree, but this game brought back everything about GTA that I loved.  GTA4 was so dull.  if you weren't moved by the storyline (sorry Gerstmann et al., whatever connection you all felt with certain characters in the game was completely lost on me), then GTA4 was a weak third person shooter with excellent driving elements.  There was little reason to explore, because there were no hidden side missions and the 200 birds were annoying to have to hunt down.

Chinatown Wars is plain FUN.  And my God, I don't know what savants at Rockstar were working on this game, but the graphics are so far ahead of any other DS game that it makes me wonder if they somehow snuck a graphics chip into the DS cartridge.

DaoJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DaoJones
    Kr3lian said:
    "I picked up GTA: CTW three days ago.  I think I've put like 15-20 hours in already.  This is the best game on DS, and may very well be the best game on a handheld this generation ( i don't own a PSP, so have only played select portions of a few games).

And this is not hyperbole: this game is better than GTA4.  Feel free to disagree, but this game brought back everything about GTA that I loved.  GTA4 was so dull.  if you weren't moved by the storyline (sorry Gerstmann et al., whatever connection you all felt with certain characters in the game was completely lost on me), then GTA4 was a weak third person shooter with excellent driving elements.  There was little reason to explore, because there were no hidden side missions and the 200 birds were annoying to have to hunt down.Chinatown Wars is plain FUN.  And my God, I don't know what savants at Rockstar were working on this game, but the graphics are so far ahead of any other DS game that it makes me wonder if they somehow snuck a graphics chip into the DS cartridge."
    Agreed!  I stopped pretty early on with GTA IV.  It just didn't click for me and I loved the previous GTAs (minus the GBA one I never played).  Chinatown Wars is my new The World Ends With You.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.