Does anyone play GTA4 without cheats?

• 97 results
#1 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I always used to play GTA with cheats, but I did not use a single cheat in the fourth game

#2 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

It seems kinda retardedly hard at times. Maybe I just suck but I can't last long in a huge firefight without using the health cheat.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

I beat GTA IV without using any cheats.

#4 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

Any tips as to how to do that without being really really frustrated?

#5 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Yeah because once you beat the game, you have enough money for guns and stuff. 
Also by then you probably know where helicopters spawn  and cop AI? Not the brightest so you don't need that either.
#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -

I never played any of the story missions of any GTA game with cheats on.  I only use cheats to mess around and cause all manners of chaos.

#7 Posted by bonbolapti (1616 posts) -

The entire time I played it, it actually never crossed my mind. 

#8 Posted by torus (1097 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
" Any tips as to how to do that without being really really frustrated? "
Go really slow, buy armor before every mission, make sure there are cars that can take lots of damage around. 

Also, a lot of people don't realize that when you are in "aim" mode, you can run. It turns it into an over-the-shoulder run-and-gun shooter.
#9 Posted by agentboolen (1791 posts) -

I never used them in any of the GTA's from 3 - 4.  The only time I used it in 3 was when I was done with the story and I wanted to use hover cars and play as other characters like the stripper with the really big mellons.  For 4 I haven't even check if there are any cool ones, maybe when I finish The Lost and the Damn which I finally got back to after I stop playing RE5 & SF4, i'm about 57% done know.

@withateethuh:
Its easy if you make sure your health is full and you have a bullet proof vest on at all times.  When ever i'm low I just go to the burger shop and the gun shop...  If you don't want to constantly drive across the map just take the taxi cab really quick...  The game isn't that hard if your follow those tips...  At least thats my opinion.

#10 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

You can run in aim mode? How?

#11 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

I play without cheats for about the first five minutes lol.

#12 Posted by torus (1097 posts) -

Um, I only know how on the PC... you just hold the run button (shift?).

#13 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
" You can run in aim mode? How? "
Aim and move
#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I don't use cheats in GTAIV. When I first started the GTA games with GTA3, I relied heavily on cheats. That carried over to Vice City. Then I tried the game without cheats and found that it was a much more enjoyable, rewarding, and challenging game experience. Since then I've only messed with cheats after beating the game. Usually only when playing it with others. I've only checked out the cheats in GTAIV one time when my cousin was over. If you're using codes to beat the game, you're only doing yourself a disservice. Suck it up and play it legit. Don't be a Balla fool.

#15 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

i used them after i beat the story line.  but not before

#16 Posted by chinakat (41 posts) -

Only use cheats to mess around. I turn autosave off, then use the cheats. I never use them during story missions. I think the game's too easy for cheats.
#17 Posted by Druminator (1678 posts) -

I cheated my way through GTA3 and Vice City but decided to play San Andreas and IV without cheats and it was really fun without them.

#18 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

I played it with out cheats

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Without.

#20 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

I've never used cheats and I think I've beaten the game two or three times.

#21 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Never used a single cheat in GTA4 :)

#22 Posted by Creamypies (4070 posts) -

I find GTA4 really boring at the best of times... so without cheats it'd be just plain annoying.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5331 posts) -

I never played through the campaign with cheats in III, VC, SA and IV.  When I finish the story missions though, I usually turn on some cheats and just wreak havoc over the city.

#24 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I beat the game in my original run without cheats. So, yeah.

#25 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

I completed the story before using any cheats.

#26 Posted by ProjektGill (752 posts) -

The only cheats I would use were the car cheats because I just loved driving and flipping the Comet.

#27 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
repeatedly tap A
#28 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Never once used cheats... but GTA: San Andreas... well... thats a different story...

#29 Posted by SuperSambo (2868 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" I always used to play GTA with cheats, but I did not use a single cheat in the fourth game "
This
#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

I never used cheats on any of the actual missions and even when I've just been messing around I've only very rarely used cheats.

#31 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

i don't use actual assistance cheats since they will lock some achievements (in case i decide 2 achievement whore gta in the future) i only use the helicopter cheat 2 get the black hawk because 
a) its fun
b) its a lot faster 2 move around in it ;)
and
c) jumping out of it at huge heights is great fun you shud try it sometime

#32 Posted by IchiroYagiza (442 posts) -

I finished without cheats. It wasn't that hard.

#33 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

I didn't use cheats and still haven't till this day, other GTA games I would have cheated, eventually, but only for fun, not to, well cheat?

#34 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -
@bonbolapti said:
"

The entire time I played it, it actually never crossed my mind. 

"
Ditto.  It didn't really dawn on me to look it up....I came across a couple missions that I had to do over and over again, but I got creative and played around with it that way.
#35 Posted by Sample (19 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
" Any tips as to how to do that without being really really frustrated? "

How about using the cover system ? with the stupid AI, they usually just run into your shots if you position yourself correctly.
#36 Posted by Kenny (66 posts) -

I played through 4 without using cheats, after I beat it i went crazy with them. Its the first I played through without cheats.

#37 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -

I finished all the misions without cheats, but when I am just messing around I use them constantly .

#38 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

play through it first without, and then go jack around with them enabled

#39 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

Only Vice City and GTA 4 I could complete without using cheats, all the others I had to.

#40 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Didn't use a single cheat in GTA IV. 
I was just too pulled into the world to even care or bother with cheats.
#41 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" I never played any of the story missions of any GTA game with cheats on.  I only use cheats to mess around and cause all manners of chaos. "
#42 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

GTA 3 and Vice City I NEEDED cheats to stay alive, but being able to just buy a burger and call up some body armor made me able to play GTA4 without any cheats. 

So, zero cheats used in GTA4 for me.

#43 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

I refused to use cheats to help me with any of the missions. But the majority of my time in that game was spent running around blowing things up and generally causeing chaos, and whenever i did that i most certainly used cheats.

#44 Posted by stinky (1549 posts) -

like the rest, i only used cheats after story mode was over.   
 they are good for sandbox type play. 

#45 Posted by AjayRaz (12431 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" I always used to play GTA with cheats, but I did not use a single cheat in the fourth game "
This "
same here 
#46 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

The only cheats I use are ones to refill my health/armor before missions. Too lazy to find a vendor. -- And this is ONLY after I've already beaten the game without cheats.

I used to spawn vehicles when I was stranded before the ability to call a taxi or a bike.

The PRE-GTA4 cheats were the best though. Stuff that changed the way the game behaved; like flying cars, riot mode, etc... not just ammo and shit. This is where the PC version excels -- mods and trainers can make the game something really fucking neat.

PS: I hate when people bring up cheats and folks are like "you shouldn't cheat even if it's just for fun and has nothing to do with progression"

#47 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -

I haven't used cheats in at least 5 years, ends up ruining the game for me.

#48 Posted by m1k3 (1330 posts) -

finished my first play-through, 100%, without cheats, got a key to the city from rockstar. then played again with all cheats.

#49 Posted by Nate (705 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" @withateethuh said:
Aim and move "

You can, but it's still a bit slower than running not in aim mode isn't it?
#50 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I beat the game without cheats, then once it was over, enabled pretty much all the cheats. Spawning Annihilators out of thin air is crazy...and awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.