'Google maps streetview' Created for GTAIV - 80,000 screenshots

#1 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Today in 'Pointless - yet admittedly impressive, I'm glad someone did this but not me' we have a huge endeavor in which fans of GTAIV created a fully working google streetview clone of every inch of the islands in GTAIV. 

As well as being able to traverse the city you can also view relevant info, screenshots and recordings of things relevant tot he area. 
Regardless of the actual use of this and the age of the game i still think this is a pretty impressive undertaking and at least deserved a shoutout. 

http://www.gta4.net/map/?lat=-0.3515625&lng=-18.28125&z=1&p=1799&ph=-175.34854&pp=-16.51184&pz=0.67 

So taking this into account, what other game worlds would you like to see receive a similar treatment? More Open worlds like assassins creed or infamous? 
As obvious as it seems i still recon Red Dead would be nice to just roam around in without getting attacked by wildlife!

#2 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5374 posts) -

That. Is. Awesome!

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4538 posts) -

I approve!

#4 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

Man, I wanna see this, but that page isn't loading in my browser. Chrome, Firefox, IE, none of em. What's wrong with my computer!?

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

They should do this for GTA5 just saying....it would make those collectibles much easier to find

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

damn dude

#7 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

It's less impressive when you realize they just used a script to capture all thsoe screenshots, but still pretty cool nonetheless.

#8 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

I'll grant them cookies if they do the same thing with WoW.

#9 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Now do this for Mass Effect, I want the whole galaxy!

#10 Posted by 49th (2670 posts) -

They should have done it with that realism texture mod! It would be like IRL google maps.

#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

Damned impressive.  Pointless, yes but still quite an accomplishment.

#12 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Im disappointed :( 

I came onto this thread thinking that Rockstar, were using Google Earth / Maps / Street View - to create their new GTA game. And the whole world would be entirely based on reality, if not exactly as it is. Oh well.....

#13 Posted by Yamoto (111 posts) -

Shame they didnt do this for a better game

#14 Posted by rmanthorp (3855 posts) -

HOT. DAMN.

#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

Meh

#16 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

So incredibly pointless.

#17 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
Damned impressive.  Pointless, yes but still quite an accomplishment.
Yep, everyone hates you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.