GTA4 isn't a very good port.

#1 Edited by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

Rockstar arn't esactly known for their good ports to the PC and it really makes me think how a company with it's reputation can actually get away with games like Bully and while GTA4 isn't as bad of a port like Bully, it still ain't great. The controls are for me and everything handled perfectly there with no need to buy a controller, though it does have support for both of them in the menus. I just found the performance to be really bad and you can tell how badly optimized the game is for the PC when the game shuts down and causes your system to be slow for about 30 seconds after that and how you have to have the dos window running in the background. I first started up the game and this is what pissed me off most but I hated how it tried to install like 5 things to my PC that I didn't want... I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME! I don't want the Rockstar Social club and I don't want GFWL or C++ or any of the other things it installed. It took me like 5 mins to get through all that and the registration before I got into the game. However starting the game with the Rockstar Social club logged it causes it to crash.......... Suprise Rockstar.

Another thing I hate is how I have to be logged into Steam, GFWL and Rockstar Social club to be able to play online. I don't like GFWL and I wish we wern't forced to use it and seeing as the Social Club is currently breaking the game I don't like that too. I just wish I could start up the game from Steam and be happy. I havn't been able to play the online so far because the Social club borks up my game and all these problems make you think how does this stuff slip through testers? I don't even think they had testers for Bully lol.

Theres no windowed mode in the menus and I tried going through the games configs and I couldn't find anything. I tried -w and -window and -windowed in the games shortcut but still had nothing and I'm guessing it's like all of Rockstars previous games that don't support it. I hate it when a game doesn't have Windowed mode in the menus for the PC and I hate it when they don't have AA in the menus too or AF........... It's missing soo much basic stuff that PC owners want.

My final gripe is the fact that the game has such bad performance for a game that doesn't look all that great. I'm using a 4870X2 and I can max out Crysis with a steady framerate and yet that isn't possible with GTA4 and I have most things set low and I'm still only getting between 15-25FPS which just isn't acceptable. I really don't get how they can keep pushing such crappy ports and getting away with it. Back in 2001 I loved Rockstar because of GTA3 and I loved the next GTA games but.... since then they've released lots of mediocre titles and don't really seem to care about quality. I'm starting to think all Rockstar have these days is their GTA games for console which is giving them such a good name but where you look everywhere else, they just suck lol.

Oh yeah and theres no SDK which SUCKS! Theres lots of unused Petrol stations that would be sooo kool for someone to mod the use of having to get fuel as Rockstar took it out.

Despite all this though the game is fantastic and it does need a few things changed to it which I'm hoping for an SDK to be released but I dunno cause it's using GFWL Online I'm not sure if Microsoft will let mods which would be a shame.

#2 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -
PapaLazarou said:
"Rockstar arn't esactly known for their good ports to the PC ."
I.. I don't know what to say...
#3 Posted by nickzed (22 posts) -

Weird.  As an owner of both the PC and XBOX360 Versions of GTAIV, I'd have to completely disagree with this post.

Also, I'd like to point out the GTA originated on the PC.  

My computer is by no means state of the art, but it definitely runs GTAIV better than my XBOX 360 Does, and it looks better to boot.  Your situation is unfortunate but I wouldn't go so far as to say GTAIV isnt a good port, when it is.
#4 Edited by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -

I've heard that Rockstar decided to future-proof the game so it still looks decent as the years go on, which is probably why a lot of rigs can't play it at max settings.

edit: Here we go, I've found the game's README online:

THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality
Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance
View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance
Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density
Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density
Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI
With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)
SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.

#5 Posted by MachoFantastico (4651 posts) -

I agree, it's a bit of a mess. I have decided against playing any further until Rockstar sort out the issues and bugs. What kind of bugs me though is the simple fact that even with a solid gaming system and everything turned to around Medium-Max the game still in areas doesn't look as good as the console version. What's that about?

#6 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Sorry this is a little bit off topic but would it run on my laptop? And if it does will it run pretty bad? Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor t5800 (2.0 ghz)
Windows Vista
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
Intergrated Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD Audio.

Thanks.
#7 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
bwooduhs said:
"Sorry this is a little bit off topic but would it run on my laptop? And if it does will it run pretty bad? Here are the specs:
Windows Vista

Thanks.
"
Try this Can I run it?    

Then choose GTA4.
#8 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

I also agree to some extent, they really haven't optimized it properly, was expecting to be able to run it a LOT smoother than i can at the moment; waiting for patches or some hotfix's Rockstar!

#9 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"bwooduhs said:
"Sorry this is a little bit off topic but would it run on my laptop? And if it does will it run pretty bad? Here are the specs:
Windows Vista

Thanks.
"
Try this Can I run it?    

Then choose GTA4."
Thanks.
#10 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

Ok.. fine it is true. The bastards got no anti-aliasing into the game, it has lots of graphical issues and the code is so damn complex no modder will ever be able to mod it! San Andreas was a lot better because it would look better and it had mods! WHAT THE FUCK ROCKSTAR?! I had hopes for this one! I thought it would be a lot better for the PC!

#11 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

if anyone what to know

recommended specs

• Processor: Dual core processor (Intel Pentium D or better)
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Hard Drive: 18GB free hard disk space
  • Video Card: 512MB Direct3D 10 compatible video card or Direct3D 9 card compatible with Shader
  • Drive: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
#12 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

GTA4 is a quick and dirty port.  It runs like a sack of **** on my PC (QX8650, 4GB RAM, 2GB ATi 4870X2) and has dumped me to the desktop many times.  Rockstar Social Club??? what the hell do I want that for?  add to that the need for a Windows LIVE account just to be able to save you game.

I don't want a Windows LIVE account and I don't want to be part of the Rockstar Social Club either.  I can understand why they used LIVE for the multiplayer and achievements but not why they are forcing people to have a LIVE account just to be able to save the game.

#13 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

GTA 4 is a good PC port.

It just picked up a myriad of technical issues along the way.
#14 Posted by Vandreren (33 posts) -
nickzed said:
"Weird.  As an owner of both the PC and XBOX360 Versions of GTAIV, I'd have to completely disagree with this post.
Also, I'd like to point out the GTA originated on the PC.  

My computer is by no means state of the art, but it definitely runs GTAIV better than my XBOX 360 Does, and it looks better to boot.  Your situation is unfortunate but I wouldn't go so far as to say GTAIV isnt a good port, when it is.
"
#15 Posted by Vandreren (33 posts) -

Gosh this message board is broken.

Anyway, I also wrote (somehow this wasnt included in the post) that"

"Yes, in a way it originates on the PC, but not the current incarnation. GTA3 was a reboot of the series - by a different developer - and originates on consoles.

#16 Posted by nickzed (22 posts) -

They've all been done by rockstar.  DMA was just what Rockstar North called themselves before they changed the name.  There was no developer change, and it wasnt a "reboot" of the series, it was a direct sequel as is told by the "3" in the title.  

Grand theft auto originated, any way you slice it, on the PC.

#17 Posted by Snoopy (40 posts) -

My computer runs it fine, they have already released a patch to fix some texture glitches. Only real problem I see people having are that the specs are to high. Oh and Windows Live?
Is it really necessary?

#18 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

I've heard of a lot of problems going on with GTA 4 on the PC
sounds like a real mess
although there seem to be some that can run it fine
still sounds like bad testing on Rockstar's part

#19 Edited by Bullet_Jr (770 posts) -

In my many years of gaming, I have come to realize that a poorly ported game makes for a much more interactive gaming experience.

The sense of accomplishment in completing a glitchy game is much more than that of beating a fantastic game. Also, think back at your own gaming career. I don't know about you, but some of the best games that I can remember have also been some of the glitchiest.

#20 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -
TEAMHOLT said:
"I've heard that Rockstar decided to future-proof the game so it still looks decent as the years go on, which is probably why a lot of rigs can't play it at max settings.

edit: Here we go, I've found the game's README online:

THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality
Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance
View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance
Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density
Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density
Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI
With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)
SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.
"
If this is true then I'm going to wait a couple years before I play GTA4
#21 Edited by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Yeah I got the game on day one and you should have seen it before it was patched. Unbelievable. A slideshow! Things have improved with the patch and driver updates but still I'm not getting the performance I expected. My PC is above the recommended specification and yet I'm having to turn the resolution down along with a good few graphics settings. Even then it's hovering below 30fps. It should be illegal for Rockstar to put out a recommended specification that is far short of what is needed to run this game.

GTAIV on the PC is poorly optimised, it is a bad port because it doesn't run acceptably under the specification and has really soured my re-entry into PC gaming.

#22 Posted by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

Despite all this I went on to complete the game and ended up giving it a 5 because it just is that good.

#23 Edited by Maru (286 posts) -

Yea this game isn't a good port in performance wise, but it does perform better and look nicer then consoles, its just that PC gamers have higher expectation.

With some tips from GTAforums.com, I'm able to run it smoothly at 1920x1200 with textures high, redering very high, distance 35, vehicle density 70, detailed distance 80 shadow density off, but this is with Quad Core and GTX 280.

#24 Posted by zanzabar (2 posts) -

well it is a bad port simple as that. i have a xps 630i with core 2 duo 2.4ghz 4gb ram 9800gtx+ factory overclocked. 750 watt psu. and it ran slow using the 2.4ghz cpu. i used -novblank -norestrictions -and all the other commands so i overclocked the cpu to 3.2ghz  fsb 1066  memory 667 which i was told i should use 533 for mem but i have the game running nice and fast now using the 667 mem with no crashes or bsod's after 6 hours of gameplay. a bit of advice is it is really made for a quad-core as the console version uses tri-core for speed and stability. it's not just the graphics card anymore. but i have heard it still runs a little slow at times with the quad-core which is proof that the port was not executed professionally which is a shame as rockstar are going to loose alot of loyal fans. i do have to say though that the feat that went into the programming of the game is nothing but astounding so i give credit to them for that but that does not excuse them for the final product been shipped without been fully tested. they better get it together as pc gamers are getting tired of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.