How long does this game take to get good?

• 77 results
#1 Posted by Clumsyman (10 posts) -

This is the first GTA game that I played (picked it up for 10 bucks on a steam sale). I've never had much interest in GTA but loved Red Dead and that made me want to see why everyone loves this game. I've played roughly an hour of this game and I haven't been enjoying it. The characters seem flat, and the controls seem terrible. The driving model for the cars is awful. I know that Rockstar games can take a while to get going, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

And yes Red Dead was a slow burn to start and I'm sure I had the same complaint about the horses in that game at first.

#2 Posted by Bollard (5426 posts) -

It never gets good.

#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Probably the part where the guy on the boat says "Daddy's back, bitches" and is getting whipped by the dominatrix. 

#4 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" It never gets good. "
Sadly, I would have to agree. The only interesting part in the game was the bank heist mission. Everything else felt like a chore.
#5 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

Personally, I think that the story never really picks up and they don't make good use of the setting. I was stupidly hyped up for this game and thought it looked amazing but that faded away pretty fast. So if you aren't enjoying it a lot early on eh it's hard to say if you'll like the rest, like people talk up one mission in particular and even that is pretty lackluster.

#6 Posted by Bollard (5426 posts) -
@VWGTI said:
" @Chavtheworld said:
" It never gets good. "
Sadly, I would have to agree. The only interesting part in the game was the bank heist mission. Everything else felt like a chore. "
I wasn't being entierly serious - that bank mission is pretty awesome, and there are a few characters (Bruce ftw) which I really like. But yeah I totally gave up on the storyline about 50% of the way or something. 
#7 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

the story is pretty meh. i never finished

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21498 posts) -

Once the whole ordeal with the Russians comes into it, it'll pick up the pace pretty fast. Though it does slow down again during most of Algonquin, I still really liked that act with you working with like every member of McCreary family.

#9 Posted by Linkster7 (1023 posts) -

I had the same feeling first time I played it. Played a lot more  waiting for it to click with me, never did.

I think I'd actually rather go back and play Vice City.

#10 Posted by Bollard (5426 posts) -
@Linkster7 said:
"

I had the same feeling first time I played it. Played a lot more  waiting for it to click with me, never did.

I think I'd actually rather go back and play Vice City.

"
HELL YES!
#11 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Well, I'm going to be the first person who genuinely liked GTA IV to post I guess...

Things really get going about 6-10 hours in (if you've been critical pathing thus far) when you have to change safehouses. The new people that you meet set up the secondary story thread of the game and there are a lot of great characters and smaller story archs from that point on.

EDIT: I guess Abysfull beat me to it, what he said is also accurate.

#12 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I thought it got good as soon as Roman was first captured.

Some people don't have any patience.

#13 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

Wow, pretty negative vibe in this thread, GTA IV was brilliant from the beginning to the end in my opinion. Not sure how well it would have dated though. 

#14 Edited by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

I recently played GTAIV and loved all of it. I thought the story was brilliant and I loved all the characters. I don't get the bad vibes from it in this thread. Some people are so hard to please it makes me wonder if they like anything. I really liked it from beginning to end.. but if you're not enjoying it now just wait until you get to work with the McRearys. Also, how can you think the driving is bad? It definitely has the best driving in an open world, hands down. 

Also, you're playing it on the PC and I hear that that port is absolute shit... the GTAIV Complete Edition is very cheap and if you have a console I suggest you'd get that because after seeing some videos of the PC version that game is optimized terribly.

#15 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

GTA IV is all about the ragdoll and Euphoria engine.

#16 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I got past the bank heist mission and did a few missions after that and stopped.
Because I still hated it, and didn't see any reason to keep going.
GOTY over MGS4 my fucking ass

#17 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
" I got past the bank heist mission and did a few missions after that and stopped.
GOTY over MGS4 my fucking ass "
GOTY not cutscene of the year
#18 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
"

GTA IV is all about the ragdoll and Euphoria engine.

"
I thought it was called the Rage engine?
#19 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (881 posts) -

If you don't like it you don't like it. I loved GTAIV, and even thought it was slightly better than San Andreas. 
Just wanted to say that to show that more people like GTAIV. For some reason most of the internet hates that game.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21498 posts) -
@zoner said:
" @Ventilaator said:
" I got past the bank heist mission and did a few missions after that and stopped.
GOTY not cutscene of the year "
BAOOM
#21 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Till you take the disc out and put Vice City in.

#22 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -
@zoner said:

" @Ventilaator said:

Yeah, MGS4 has long cutscenes, we all know that. Speaking of solely the gameplay though, MGS4 was still ahead by leaps and bounds. I rarely complain about technical issues a game has (Mass Effect 1 would be a 5 star game for me), but the framerate of GTAIV alone was almost enough to make me stop playing it. Fast cars and bikes were pointless because they were fast enough to turn the game into a powerpoint presentation, presnted by a person who doesn't know which button to hit to get to the next slide. The gameplay itself was just GTA, but again. The story was just GTA, but again.

I figured I was completely done with GTA games, but I've went back to VIce City after playing 4 and it's still amazing.
#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

If you don't like it now you'll probably never like it

#24 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

never GTA 4 was such a let down compare to san andres

#25 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

GTA IV hooked me in from the start. 

#26 Edited by Sogeman (867 posts) -
@Soap said:

" Wow, pretty negative vibe in this thread, GTA IV was brilliant from the beginning to the end in my opinion. Not sure how well it would have dated though.  "

^^^ this

If you don't like the game by the time you meet Brucie, you have no taste. Loved Niko as a character with his remarks during shootouts.

@xyzygy said:

" I recently played GTAIV and loved all of it. I thought the story was brilliant and I loved all the characters. I don't get the bad vibes from it in this thread. Some people are so hard to please it makes me wonder if they like anything. I really liked it from beginning to end.. but if you're not enjoying it now just wait until you get to work with the McRearys. Also, how can you think the driving is bad? It definitely has the best driving in an open world, hands down.  Also, you're playing it on the PC and I hear that that port is absolute shit... the GTAIV Complete Edition is very cheap and if you have a console I suggest you'd get that because after seeing some videos of the PC version that game is optimized terribly. "

Also this. Definitely better than the GTAs before that.
#27 Edited by JCTango (1360 posts) -

I digged the character's vibe.

I love flawed characters that are always striving to do good the best they can do (even if it resorted to "righteous" violence). 
On all the "to-kill-or-not-to-kill" action moments, I chose to spare their life heh.

I can see how you can dislike the game though - I had to sorta make up stories about Niko in my head to make it worthwhile.

#28 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Yeah, I'd say about 5 hours. There's definitely too much "come bowling, my cousin!" stuff at the beginning, but it picks up. i actually really enjoyed the story telling and the characters, but they develop slowly over a long time. I'll be honest, Red Dead is a much better game. I know the value proposition of it all sucks, but If you're looking to get to the good stuff in GTA4, i might consider seeing if you can pick up any of the dlc packs. They're shorter, but they get to the good stuff a lot quicker. If you only get one, go with ballad of gay tony. parachutes and blowjobs. nuff said.

#29 Posted by Sogeman (867 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" never GTA 4 was such a let down compare to san andres "
Couldn't get past the first mission in San Andreas. Play it now, it's shit.
#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14070 posts) -

I really liked the game but if you're not into it now it's probably not going to ever gel with you. If you want to continue with it sink an hour or two more in and if you still feel the same way you might have to accept that it's just not for you.

#31 Posted by JCTango (1360 posts) -
@GravityProof said:
" Yeah, I'd say about 5 hours. There's definitely too much "come bowling, my cousin!" stuff at the beginning, but it picks up. i actually really enjoyed the story telling and the characters, but they develop slowly over a long time. I'll be honest, Red Dead is a much better game. I know the value proposition of it all sucks, but If you're looking to get to the good stuff in GTA4, i might consider seeing if you can pick up any of the dlc packs. They're shorter, but they get to the good stuff a lot quicker. If you only get one, go with ballad of gay tony. parachutes and blowjobs. nuff said. "
Yeah, some of the calls you'll get from your cohorts will get a little annoying and tiresome sometimes (heh, almost like in r/l).  You can just tell them you're busy.. it'll bring down your fondness from them a bit, but you can always call them back after to schedule a rendez-vous.
#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Sogeman said:
" @kingzetta said:
" never GTA 4 was such a let down compare to san andres "
Couldn't get past the first mission in San Andreas. Play it now, it's shit. "
Well I have no doubt it's aged horrifically, but I'd rather play GTA 1 then ever play GTA 4 again.
That's saying something because in GTA1 you played as a half circle.
#33 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

that is not a good game 
i was frustrated with the controls the entire time 
the shooting is not very good 
the driving is not very good 
i cant even bring myself to finish it

#34 Posted by wellAdjusted (17 posts) -

I liked it from the start. If you get bored of missions you can push people into the water and that is all that matters in a video game.

#35 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I enjoyed GTA IV from start to finish. Alright, some areas of the game are a little dull, but honestly, that only serves to make the biggest scenes and set-pieces feel even bigger and better once you reach them. The handling in the game is actually something I found very enjoyable, because driving actually does have a learning curve which you need to master in order to man-handle your vehicle. Once that aspect of it 'clicks' with you, then you'll enjoy the driving scenes (of which there are many) much more. The gunplay might not be as sharp as it was when the game had released, but it's sufficient to give you a feeling of awesomeness when you headshot someone, or take them down in the most sadistic manner possible. 

People really do hype up the 'bank job' mission, but I was not blown away by it. Yes, it is fun, but at the same time it all feels like scripted fun, rather than something that really occurs on the spur of the moment. Once you meet Mikhail Faustin and advance a little from there, you'll hopefully begin to enjoy the experience more. At least, I hope so! It's a very good game, and the story in it is among the best of any title I've experienced on the 360.

#36 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I loved the game and still enjoy it. I guess you have to have had a thing for GTA prior.

#37 Edited by Fezz (440 posts) -

It gets good a little before the second safe house.

#38 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Probably the part where the guy on the boat says "Daddy's back, bitches" and is getting whipped by the dominatrix.  "
Yep, right around there.
#39 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

From start to end it was OUTSTANDING
#40 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I would say at the end credits, but I never got that far.

#41 Posted by Szlifier (488 posts) -

This game is amazing. Incredible technical achievement that set a bar no open world game come close to. If you think otherwise you are propably a San Andreas whore, little kid with no brain flying hydra for no reason who thinks he is gangsta - best GTA my ass.

#42 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -
@Szlifier said:
"  Incredible technical achievement that set a bar no open world game come close to. "
I can name 3 games which came close or surpassed GTA IV, depending on your opinion.

They were GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas
#43 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@Clumsyman: An hours huh? I lasted exactly 18 minutes before realizing how over hyped this game is. Luckily it was a rental. Frankly I think most rockstar games are overrated. RDR was good but that game also started becoming a chore at some point. I still haven't finished it.
#44 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (735 posts) -

I can't make comparisons between the different GTA games since I haven't played them, and haven't played through all of GTA 4 either. But I thought it was pretty fun. Also, "This is America; there's 36 flavors of titty" is a pretty good line.

#45 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

I never got into it. My friend begged me to go over his house to play it, got bored. When it came to PC they bought it to me as a gift. Still didn't play it much. My friend from UK sent me the 360 version recently. I have yet to touch the disc.

I think too many powers are trying to make me play and finish GTA4. But it's just not happening.

#46 Posted by Szlifier (488 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
" @zoner said:

" @Ventilaator said:

Yeah, MGS4 has long cutscenes, we all know that. Speaking of solely the gameplay though, MGS4 was still ahead by leaps and bounds. I rarely complain about technical issues a game has (Mass Effect 1 would be a 5 star game for me), but the framerate of GTAIV alone was almost enough to make me stop playing it. Fast cars and bikes were pointless because they were fast enough to turn the game into a powerpoint presentation, presnted by a person who doesn't know which button to hit to get to the next slide. The gameplay itself was just GTA, but again. The story was just GTA, but again.  I figured I was completely done with GTA games, but I've went back to VIce City after playing 4 and it's still amazing. "
You are the winner of the most stupid comment this month. You didn't even play the game and you shouldn't because you are 5 years below age restriction.

Framerate wasn't constant but it wasn't a problem with this game. This game works perfect regardless.

Framerate changes have different impact on gameplay in every game. GTA IV manage to be OK with it.
#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Probably the part where the guy on the boat says "Daddy's back, bitches" and is getting whipped by the dominatrix.  "
yes.
#48 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

It takes the Episodes before it actually gets good. Regular GTA4 is kinda fun at first due to the actual new stuff like the driving mechanics and euphoria. But it gets old FAST with so little variety in stuff to do or scenery. And the fact that it takes soooo long to finish makes it seem more tedious than it needs to be.

TLAD and TBOGT on EFLC are both excellent though, and actually feel too short which leaves you wanting more. 

I can't wait for another full-on San Andreas styled GTA (but I'd still totally take another Vice City-like "upgrade" over GTA4 if that's what they're working on next). Those people who think Saint's Row is any sort of suitable replacement for San Andreas have zero taste in videogames.

#49 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

GTA 4 was a great game. Nico was a more interesting, well rounded character than other's in the franchise (although I fucking love Ray Liota). 

Also GTA 4 has the best driving in the series. It is using real physics. So you actually have to use your brakes and a lot of finesse. It is tough at first, but once you learn it, it is far more rewarding.

#50 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
yes. "
This right here. Fuckin' loved this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.