Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

I think Roman was a better character than Niko.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

Lets really LOOK AT who Roman is, for a sec.

Fast cars, fast women, let's go bowling etc.
    Fast cars, fast women, let's go bowling etc.

He's all excited to get Niko over to the US, and gives him a load of lies about the American dream. You feel like this is probably what people told Roman before he got there, and he's using the same trick. I bet a lot of people in real life emigrate from Europe to the US looking for the land of the free. Right from the start, that's pretty interesting.

He talks a lot about starting the cab company. Considering he came over looking for the land of opporunity and ended up living in a 1-room appartment, it's pretty much the only thing he has any pride in- and it's not great. When it burns down, he really goes nuts at Niko.

What does Roman want in life?

Titties, obviously. But apart from that, he spends half the game in a kind-of ass-kissey relationship with Brucie. Brucie's a hyper confident alpha male, and it says a lot about Roman that this is the guy he loves to hang out with.

Roman is insecure about a lot of things INCASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE. That's why he loves Brucie.
    Roman is insecure about a lot of things INCASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE. That's why he loves Brucie.

Roman's insecurities are pretty clear through the amount of gay-jokes he makes, the fact that he goes to strip bars so much, and that he gives Niko a hard time about how he's dressed, how he looks, and that he's not meeting any girls. He's into gambling and drinking and strippers because his actual life is crap- which we can see in cutscenes. I'm not even saying this is deep-down psychology stuff, I'm just sayin this is what you can SEE when you play the game normally. He's a crude guy on the surface, but it's clearly to cover up the fact that he's a complete baby. Y'know- like how people in real life are.

Roman wants to be respected by Niko at the start of the game, but after a while he starts to think Niko is actually a maniac. For example; he's lieing to Niko about how many women he sleeps with on day 1, but after about 10 missions he says "You're here on some revenge mission for something that happened 10 years ago, and you don't care who's life you ruin on the way." before leaving you alone for a while to restart his company. By the end of the game, Roman talks to Niko like he's practically addicted to killing people. On one of the last missions he says "No more killing. I'm trying to start a new life here, let's just take this money and get out, you don't have to kill another person."

The way Roman builds his new company, marries that girl (not a clue what her name was), and is almost begging Niko to stop fucking murdering people is him growing up. There's NO DOUBT that he changes over the course of the game, for the better. We know what he's scared of, we know why he's here, we know everything about Roman the same way we know a real person. There is at least a couple layers of depth to this character between what he thinks of himself, and what he wants Niko to think of him.

NIKO, on the other hand...

Niko is in America to get revenge on
    Niko is in America to get revenge on "that special someone".

Niko meets up with Roman, and I think his 3rd mission is to stab some dudes to death, and his 4th mission is to throw a brick through a guy's window. It escalates, and y'know, he couriers drugs and robs a bank soon enough, kills basically a million dudes without ever saying no, and dives head-first into the mafia. His excuse is that he does it all to get closer to the guy he's after-- but come on.. You don't kill a million guys just to track down 1.

He kicks the shit out of anyone who goes near Roman; gets him kidnapped, gets his business burnt down, and thinks very little of anyone you make friends with in the game. Except Packie, I think.

I never really got a sense of Niko's personality, except for that he won't stand for shit, will pretty much go with anything, and makes friends easily. He talks about his backstory a lot: He joined the armed forces really young and saw some real bad shit. He saw the world while he was in the navy, and really doesn't like America. He has more pride than Roman, but zero morals. He talks down to every character in the game, and doesn't grow up or learn any lessons for the whole story.

This is without mentioning that he roars out loud when you fire a machine gun. I think he's a mug, with as much personality as a brick. I'm bringing this up now, because GTA 5 is a thing, and I think most people remember liking Niko and hating Roman.

It's fine to hate Roman as a person, cos he's not likable, but I think he's a way better character than Niko. So I want more Romans, more Brucies, more of those biker guys, and no more Nikos.

No Caption Provided
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I liked Roman. But fuck brucie....

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TheHBK

Man, fuck Roman, he fucks up everything and lies to Niko. Now I don't like Niko much either, but man Roman was a little piece of shit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan  Online

Roman definitely made a good support character, but I don't think he could really carry a game like Niko did.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Witzig

I felt bad for Brucie after TBGT.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I just want to point out that Niko also likes Little Jacob in addition to Packie.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By rockinkemosabe

"Hey Niko, want to go bowling?"

Hangs up.

Pretty much the extent of my relationship with Roman.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@PeasantAbuse said:

I just want to point out that Niko also likes Little Jacob in addition to Packie.

Yea, but Packie is the greatest thing to come out of GTA IV.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By phantomzxro

As a support character roman is cool but as a main i don't know. He just seemed like a screw up which is cool because there are many people like that. But he just does not really grow to much of anything but a stand up guy at the end. I think Niko was ok but was to many shades of gray and did not have the range to wear all these hats of a killer and a stand up guy.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yeah, he does have the best mission in the whole game.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_smell

Oh I don't think he should be a main character at all, I just think he's got more to him than Niko.

@Witzig said:

I forgot to play Ballad of Gay Tony, but now I really want to.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

Niko is just a thing, his only purpose is to bring the player into the story. He gets less personality to let the pleyer give one to him, the real strength in GTA charcters lie in the supporting cast, like Roman, like Packie.

Oh, and Brucie was just a living joke. I really don't think he was supposed to be taken like a serious character, at all.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yeah, he does have the best mission in the whole game.

To be honest, I really wished they made a DLC with Packie as the lead. I would have bought that one in a heart beat.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gabriel

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

eh I liked his older brother but did not care for Packie at all.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@Gabriel said:

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Which one? Gerry or the one that actually came from Ireland (His name escapes me)

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ABritishNerd

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Agreed, I'd loved to have a DLC following Packie before he met Niko, I would have shelled out my MSP instantly.@I_smell said:

marries that girl (not a clue what her name was)

Mallorie

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gabriel

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@Gabriel said:

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Which one? Gerry or the one that actually came from Ireland (His name escapes me)

Gerry the other one sucked though I did like the cop Mcreary he was a good character.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot

I fuckin' LOVED Roman. He seemed like a good guy. And he grows, just like you said, so... I ended up thinking he was very awesome. Also, Niko is just... You know... Niko.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By elyk247

The best character in the game was by far Phil Bell, that guy with Pegorino. He was cool, but most of all smart.

But yeah, Roman was a much more interesting personality than Niko.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperCycle

"I'm leaving here with Roman!" It's because I loved Roman so much that I always chose to make a deal at the end. It had more of an impact that way. I hated Kate.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kmdrkul

Gosh I loved Roman. I was pissed when he was gunned down.

Also, it appears as if the italics function on Giant Bomb is totally fucked up for me.

Dry_Carton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Dry_Carton

@I_smell said:

Brucie's a hyper confident alpha male, and it says a lot about Roman that this is the guy he loves to hang out with.

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

I liked Roman. But fuck brucie....

I think you've both completely misunderstood Brucie here. Brucie is very insecure and only wants to present himself as, and wishes he were, a "hyper-confident alpha male". He even unintentionally lets you know how he used to be fat and get bullied.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

Which ending was canon, "Deal" or "Revenge"?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

BIG AMERICAN TITTIES

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@Dry_Carton: I didn't really care for his character but he was alright. My main reason for hating him was the fact I hated his missions. IDK about you but when came to car specific missions in a gta series (Like racing) I always despised doing those missions.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell said:

Oh I don't think he should be a main character at all, I just think he's got more to him than Niko.

@Witzig said:

Play it! Its so good.... You know the shotgun in the Expendables? Yeah.

and theres kind of a lesson at the end of the game? I think...

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

I think the cast overall in GTAIV was pretty good. I really liked Niko, but Roman was a character i genuinely liked despite being a bit of an ass hole. In the end he was a good guy, just a buffoon.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

That's why I found the end of the game unsatisfying. Niko doesn't really develop as a character. I've always liked Roman better.

@kmdrkul said:

Gosh I loved Roman. I was pissed when he was gunned down.

Also, it appears as if the italics function on Giant Bomb is totally fucked up for me.

This happened to me and I reloaded, and I did the other mission, which resulted in Packie's sister dying, who was... boring, so whatever.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

Brucie was the best.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gabriel

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

Which ending was canon, "Deal" or "Revenge"?

Deal was the more impactful for me cause I thought Kate was a shit character, and I didn't care she got Iced.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Admit you're gay for Brucie, Cuzen.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gabriel

Also Packie sucked because he was apart of that kidnapping mission where I thought the game started to go bad.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By themangalist

Very nice type up. Truly spectacular analysis of the two characters.

Well VIDEO GAME killed Niko as a character. If GTA4 got a proper movie treatment, cut out the crap where he just wastes a platoon of dudes and do dumb fetch quests for everyone while having a buttload of cash that could basically support his whole life if he lives on $1 hotdogs... then yes, Niko would be amazing. I try to imagine in my head that.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Roman was definitely the best part of GTAIV. Him and the Playboy X/ Dwayne decision.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By I_smell

@Dry_Carton said:

I think you've both completely misunderstood Brucie here. Brucie is very insecure and only wants to present himself as, and wishes he were, a "hyper-confident alpha male". He even unintentionally lets you know how he used to be fat and get bullied.

Oh, yea I know. I didn't wanna make it super long, so I just wrote stuff that was relevant to Roman. TO ROMAN: Brucie is just a super cool guy.

Niko sees through it, so that's why Niko teases Brucie a lot more.

@Gabriel said:

Also Packie sucked because he was apart of that kidnapping mission where I thought the game started to go bad.

The one where Niko punches a girl in the back o the head cos she won't shut up? yyyeeeeaaahhhhhh...

@LordXavierBritish said:

BIG AMERICAN TITTIES

I think you mean BEEEG AMYEREECAN TEETEEEEEZZ! EHEHEHEH!!!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Hey, what can i say, us Serbs are likable dudes...if you can get past the swearing and the heavy drinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@I_smell said:

@Witzig said:

Play it! Its so good.... You know the shotgun in the Expendables? Yeah.

and theres kind of a lesson at the end of the game? I think...

I never managed to get into Ballad Of Gay Tony. Which is a shame cause I was really looking forward to it. The setting and story looked awesome.

It just started off on such a messy and unrefined note. The deficiencies in the handling of everything from the shooting to the driving in the game really stood out after all that time had passed.

I loved The Lost And The Damned though. I thought it was way better than the main GTA IV game in every way, brother

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By AngelN7

Brucie was awesome what are you talking about BRO! , in The Ballad of Gay Tony you met his brother Maurie wich is a Big douche to him kinda I felt bad for him , I don´t know if I have any favorites Yusuf from TBOGT was really funny and Little Jacob was cool cat , I like the entire cast of GTA IV all great characters, and the ones in Episodes from LC at least TBOGT were all great I didn´t care much for the Lost in their episode only Jhonny.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@I_smell: I think Niko hit Gracie because she kept trying to crash the car, not because of the talking.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_smell
    @PeasantAbuse: Oh right yeah.

Yeah I was more annoyed at the time cos I was havin fun steering around that. Now I remember.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By nintendoeats

If Roman was the main character of the game, then he would have been the one shooting a million dudes. Niko was as close as they realistically could have come to a character that was consistent between story and gameplay without coming across as totally psychotic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I liked all the characters, except Niko because in gameplay he would fumble around in combat and end up getting shot. Thankfully in the episodes games the character's didn't really do any fumbling around. If you don't know what I mean nevermind. Randomly losing balance, not aiming the gun etc. Niko was a dull character because he fulfils the role of a vessel for the story, for the other character to talk to.

Playing as Brucie would be more fun, less serious, but overall more fun. His whole act of being the big shot man's-man would provide more comical moments and insane gameplay.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By regularassmilk

I think supporting characters kind of had to be spelled out. I had a pretty good sense of Niko as a person by the end of that game. I could basically tell you all about Roman an hour in. Niko is left ambiguous. You can't necessarily completely flush out his character, if the player is making a lot of the moral decisions. Niko has stuff going on, but what you do makes Niko a certain person too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.