Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

Is it worth it?

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VirtuaXav

I hear alot of people were dissapointed with GTA IV... It looked sweet in the trailers and whatnot but apparently it was a huge letdown in terms of multiplayer and the length of the single player...

I'll be getting a PS3 soon so is it worth getting GTA IV for whatever it's going for these days?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#2  Edited By tearhead

YES. GTA IV is amazing. I played the game for over 80 hours. The multiplayer is hilarious... but I didn't play it much because of COD 4.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VirtuaXav

Dammit! So many good freakin games to choose from! I shoulda got a PS3 ages ago, haha. I got about 10 games on my "To Buy List" these days...

Thanks for the help dude, anyone else?

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Lemegeton

GTA IV is a great game, it just got way overhyped and is far from perfect. The singleplayer is not short, if you play the main story at a normal pace it will take 20-30 hours, and even if you rush through it you will still spend 15 hours. the problem with the multiplayer is there is no incentive to keep playing it and increase your rank and most games have auto-aim switched on so there is little skill involved. the co-op and team based modes are only good if you get a few friends together as the random matches are full of morons who dont play them properly

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By danielkempster

I'm in agreement with Tearhead on this one. I absolutely love GTAIV, and I intend to play through it a third time before the year's out. As I'm not online, I've never explored the multi-player, but the single-player was more than worth the price. Hope you enjoy it, xavmeese!

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemegeton
    dankempster said:
    "I'm in agreement with Tearhead on this one. I absolutely love GTAIV, and I intend to play through it a third time before the year's out. As I'm not online, I've never explored the multi-player, but the single-player was more than worth the price. Hope you enjoy it, xavmeese!"
    i do think the missions are repetitive . the other GTA games mixed things up with crazy missions and the RC stuff. I know gtaiv was going for a realistic tone but the lack of mission variety is a problem
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

I think the game is definitely worth picking up...especially now when you can easily find it for $30. I don't think the game is the perfect game that some have said, but I also don't think it's the awful game that others have said. It's a great game and a game that everyone should play at least once.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Dalai

Giant Bomb thinks it's awesome, I think it's awesome, and so does everybody else in this thread.

I say you get it.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Demyx

It was a good game. It is worth picking up.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan
    Dalai said:
    "Giant Bomb thinks it's awesome, I think it's awesome, and so does everybody else in this thread.

I say you get it."

I second that notion
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By psmgamer

The game is really cheap now about $40 or less depending on where you buy it from. Its worth getting since its the best game in the series and you won't be disappointed with the story.

Qoheed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Qoheed

The single player is amazing, and offers a bit of content even after the game ends.

However, if you think that's going to keep you playing for another while, you'll be disappointed. I don't think I wound up playing much more of it after I beat the game.

The multi-player was fun with friends for a week or two And, trust me, when it first came out it was awesome hearing your friends scream "YOU IDIOT! TURN THE CAR AROUND! YOU'RE LOSING THEM!".

Overall, it's definitely worth the purchase.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

*Looks at Giant Bomb GOTY page*

Yes, you should get Grand Theft Auto IV.

It is seriously the best game in years.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By End_Boss

I think its worth it, if for nothing else than the single player. I'll be honest, multi-player isn't anything to shake a stick at, but that's mostly the fault of the player base. Rockstar included some really creative ideas in its game modes, but the only one you'll ever see used (except for the odd occasion) is the Free Mode. Which gets real boring, real fast. Especially since even if you do get a rivalry going with some other group of players (fun), it eventually just drags on and of course amounts to nothing in the long run (not fun). So, yes for single player, no if you're looking for a rich online experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.