July 19th's XBL Deal of the Week: Save 50% on GTA IV Game add-ons

#1 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
Marketplace Source: Major Nelson

The reviews I saw criticized both expansion's stories, though TLAD's more so than TBoGT's, and, though not too surprising, called the characters less interesting than Niko and friends. Nonetheless, both expansions ended up scoring at least 9/10s from most reviewers. 

Are these worth picking up? 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) doesn't seem all that pricey for both.
#2 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

I have Lost and the Damned and I'm thinking about getting Ballad of Gay Tony. I was fine with TLAD, but it wasn't the bees knees. I really enjoyed riding bikes as it made it much easier. I did hear that TBoGT goes all out like GTA is supposed to, with more weapons, vehicles and such. It would all rely on story though for me. Anybody want to help us out?

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I bought the complete edition disk and I enjoyed both Liberty City Episodes very much; TBoGT more than TLAD. I'd say they're worth it for $15.

#4 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5374 posts) -

I think The Ballad of Gay Tony would be great for people that missed the gameplay of San Andreas.

#5 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe: I actually just picked up the GTA III + VC + SA pack on Steam this summer sale. I haven't even finished GTA IV yet (yeah yeah, I know I should finish it before I do these DLCs, probably).

The biggest reason why I want to download these while they're on sale is because I already own all of the DLC for Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire (at least what has been released so far). I sorta feel like I have to pick this up to get the complete Rockstar experience. 

@DrMadHatten: Thanks for responding, Flux and Vito. Even more opinions would be appreciated too, for sure.
#6 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Anyone else have anything to add?

#7 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I found The Ballad of Gay Tony to be incredibly disappointed, yet I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost and the Damned. By the time The Ballad came out, the game just felt so archaic to me... Also, it easily has the least interesting characters in GTAIV, to the point where they're inclusion negatively affects the awesome characters from the main game. It's basically like they're all extreme versions of your best friends in GTAIV, which is so obnoxious.

#8 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:

I found The Ballad of Gay Tony to be incredibly disappointed, yet I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost and the Damned. By the time The Ballad came out, the game just felt so archaic to me... Also, it easily has the least interesting characters in GTAIV, to the point where their inclusion negatively affects the awesome characters from the main game. It's basically like they're all extreme versions of your best friends in GTAIV, which is so obnoxious.

Yeah, that's a concern I have. Well thanks for the input.
#9 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

This pricing seems kinda ridiculous when you consider both DLCs where available as a standalone game for 7.50 two weeks ago on Steam. 

#10 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Gav47 said:
This pricing seems kinda ridiculous when you consider both DLCs where available as a standalone game for 7.50 two weeks ago on Steam. 
I remember hearing that the PC port wasn't done very well, or something. It's probably been patched up by now, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.