Would my Laptop run GTA IV?

#1 Posted by bwooduhs (1617 posts) -

Hey i just got a new laptop and im new to PC games so i was just wondering if it could run GTA IV? 

Here are the specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor t5800 (2.0 ghz)
Windows Vista
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
Intergrated Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD Audio.

Thanks

#2 Posted by Spencer (252 posts) -

You will probably be able to run it but not well; the recommended specs are steep.  Try the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions if it's an option.  Otherwise, be ready to turn down some settings.

#3 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Are the console versions not an option? I haven't tried the PC version, but I've heard it has quite a few issues...

#4 Posted by pause422 (6186 posts) -

Defniitely not on max settings or even near them probably, but it could run it ok. That is if the PC version for 90% of the people who bought it wasn't fucked, from what I've heard until Rockstar does something about it, its not worth buying at all, its completely broken.

#5 Edited by Wallzii (173 posts) -

I'm going to be honest here, you probably can't run it in any playable form. Your laptop specs aren't too bad, it's just that Rockstar has always sucked at porting console titles over to the PC. For example, when Vice City came out on PC, my old system exceeded the recommended system specifications, yet it was riddled with slowdown issues, among other problems. A couple years later out of boredom I installed it on my quad-core 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 512MB 8600 GT and the slowdown still made the game unplayable.

Obviously this system isn't on the enthusiast level, let alone the basic gaming level (it wasn't purchased with gaming in mind), however it can run Crysis with no AA at 1600x1050 on medium settings and is completely playable. So why does a 5 year old game that isn't even remotely pretty for it's time still run like shit on a fully capable machine? Poor optimization and a rushed porting job, to be simple and frank.

I love Grand Theft Auto as much as anyone else out there, however Rockstar has a very proven track record with their PC ports (which have ALL turned out like shit), in which case I would not suggest playing GTA4 on your laptop.

#6 Posted by Forcen (1823 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.