Ask me anything. GTA online

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Since I seem to be one of the few people who can get into it I will share my thoughts and what I know about it. Please ask away.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

No heists yet. It is more or less RDR freeroam. Big area limited stuff to do

You can hold up stores,Arm wrestle play darts tennis, Death match, Team Death Match, Racing, Fetch quests.

#4 Posted by MB (11894 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: What method are you using to access online and get it started? I've tried everything I can think of and still can't connect.

Moderator
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@mb said:

@the_laughing_man: What method are you using to access online and get it started? I've tried everything I can think of and still can't connect.

When the game starts I just hit the A button. Takes me right in.

#6 Edited by pyrodactyl (1856 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@nightriff said:

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

No heists yet. It is more or less RDR freeroam. Big area limited stuff to do

You can hold up stores,Arm wrestle play darts tennis, Death match, Team Death Match, Racing, Fetch quests.

The fact that you can buy an apartment, a garage, hot cars, planes, helicopters and use those in missions with friends as well as when you're assaulting the army or robbing liquor stores makes GTA online way more interesting than RDR multiplayer for me. The gun and character progression is nice too.

All the sub systems for splitting earnings with friends, saving vehicles, buying stuff online, getting a quick route to an atm, racing in the open world, etc are also more elaborat than I imagined.

Will have to play more to form a final opinion but I'm impressed so far.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@nightriff said:

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

No heists yet. It is more or less RDR freeroam. Big area limited stuff to do

You can hold up stores,Arm wrestle play darts tennis, Death match, Team Death Match, Racing, Fetch quests.

The fact that you can buy an apartment, a garage, hot cars, planes, helicopters and use those in missions with friends as well as when you're assaulting the army or robbing liquor stores makes GTA online way more interesting than RDR multiplayer for me. The gun and character progression is nice too.

Except the missions are the exact same over and over and over.

#8 Posted by Krullban (1021 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@nightriff said:

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

No heists yet. It is more or less RDR freeroam. Big area limited stuff to do

You can hold up stores,Arm wrestle play darts tennis, Death match, Team Death Match, Racing, Fetch quests.

The fact that you can buy an apartment, a garage, hot cars, planes, helicopters and use those in missions with friends as well as when you're assaulting the army or robbing liquor stores makes GTA online way more interesting than RDR multiplayer for me. The gun and character progression is nice too.

Except the missions are the exact same over and over and over.

No they aren't. There are repeats obviously. But have you even gotten missions from Trevor or anybody yet? Simeon can call you and it gives cutscenes and such.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@krullban said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@nightriff said:

Is it fun? Is it worth spending time in?

Basically I want to hear.....are there BIG HEISTS?

No heists yet. It is more or less RDR freeroam. Big area limited stuff to do

You can hold up stores,Arm wrestle play darts tennis, Death match, Team Death Match, Racing, Fetch quests.

The fact that you can buy an apartment, a garage, hot cars, planes, helicopters and use those in missions with friends as well as when you're assaulting the army or robbing liquor stores makes GTA online way more interesting than RDR multiplayer for me. The gun and character progression is nice too.

Except the missions are the exact same over and over and over.

No they aren't. There are repeats obviously. But have you even gotten missions from Trevor or anybody yet? Simeon can call you and it gives cutscenes and such.

Ive gotten the same Cutscens each time I take a car back to Simeon and that other guy with drugs. Trevor has made no show only Lamar which he has stopped calling me.

#10 Edited by Clonedzero (4046 posts) -

Is there any separation of the aiming modes? Like if i use freeaim am i going to be put into a game with a bunch of dudes with autoaim?

#11 Edited by pyrodactyl (1856 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I'm not that far yet but I know you don't have to wait for people to call to start a mission. Just browse the map to see wich mission would suit your fancy. Tired of stealing cars? Go steal drugs. Tired of stealing drugs? Do a race. Tired of racing? Rob a liquor store or do a deathmatch or fuck around with friends in the open world. Etc. Etc. Etc.

New mission will probably pop up as you rank up and complete other missions

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Is there any separation of the aiming modes? Like if i use freeaim am i going to be put into a game with a bunch of dudes with autoaim?

Not sure Auto aim is the same as single player. Also you die real easy...which is bad because alot of assholes run up and shoot you then run off..then log off when you come after them.

#13 Posted by HiroKedyn (32 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I don't think it is the same as single player. It feels softer to me. Like it just snaps you to near the person, but you have to free aim after that as they move around. It feels like it just helps you get on target a little bit quicker. I love running up to people, shooting them and then running off and having them and the cops chase me around while I chant "oh god oh god, they're after! WHAT DID I DO??" while running pedestrians over and see how long I can last or if I can ditch them.

#14 Posted by DharmaBum (1038 posts) -

Anyone know how to "posse" up with other people like in Red Dead multiplayer? I tried roaming around with a friend and we would accidentally melee each other instead of reloading.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@dharmabum: I do not think that is a real option outside of doing missions with a team.

#16 Posted by Yesiamaduck (888 posts) -

I think it looks shit, is it shit?

#17 Edited by EXTomar (4451 posts) -

How much "setup" did you have to do? Was it "install and go" or did you have to go off to Rockstar Social Club and create/enable something?

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@extomar: there was an update then it's go.

#19 Edited by DharmaBum (1038 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@dharmabum: I do not think that is a real option outside of doing missions with a team.

Hm, bummer. I know it's early and they're bound to add more content later, but I'm pretty disappointed that a lot of the "missions" are just glorified deathmatch lobbies, when there are already dozens of those scattered across the map. It also seems like their method of getting into a match is worse now than in previous games; having to drive to the specific location and searching for others who are doing that exact same scenario. EDIT: actually it looks like you can hover over an icon on the map and hit X/Square to start it.

At this point, Races have been the most fun for me. The "drive to this place, kill a bunch of dudes, drive back" missions are pretty stale, and you die way too quickly.

#20 Posted by MB (11894 posts) -

I just made the mistake of reading the comments on Rockstar's most recent support update...man, people are just terrible. One dude was even threatening to "take legal advice" because "you stole my microtransaction." Ugh.

Moderator
#21 Posted by DharmaBum (1038 posts) -

@mb: never read the comments on one of their Newswire blogs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.