Asymmetric Multiplayer in GTA V? Yes Please!

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I love stuff like Autolog (Need for Speed) and Ridernet (SSX). Asymmetric Multiplayer adds a ton of value to any game. Seeing how GTA V will be full of activities like races and stunts and actual 18-hole golf and god knows what else, I'd absolutely would love the extra incentive the inclusion of asymmetric multiplayer would add to these gameplay elements.

A good oldschool high score chase makes every game better. Even GTA V. Wouldn't you agree?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14716 posts) -

So then rip off Sleeping Dogs then?

#3 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Implementing a community focus is hardly ripping off Sleeping Dogs; it isn't the first to do so.

By virtue of its being first, why should it monopolize that feature. All that serves to do is hurt the consumer.

#4 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

That's like saying Sleeping Dogs ripped off GTA in general.

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4660 posts) -

No different than gta4 swiping mechanics from saints row.

#6 Posted by UlquioKani (1043 posts) -

I'm with you!

Especially considering most people on my friends list are going to have this as opposed to Need For Speed where I have 3 dudes to compete against.

#7 Edited by Snail (8593 posts) -

I'm kind of confused. What are you people exactly referring to with the term "asymmetric multiplayer"?

I know what it is. That's why this thread is confusing me.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Snail said:

I'm kind of confused. What are you people exactly referring to with the term "asymmetric multiplayer"?

Like the offline races against AI in GTA IV. Have autolog-style leaderboards for all the activities in GTA V, generated from your friendslist. People who enjoy competition gain a lot of replay value and incentive for gameplay mastery by such a thing. I love a good old high score chase. *How the fuck did that guy do that? I'm going to beat that fucker!*

#9 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Didn't play that yet. That information right there did move Sleeping Dogs right on top of my list of open world games to play after I'm done with GTA V. Yep - not going to spoil my appetite beforehand, because I'll play the shit out of GTA V *knock on wood*. Heard the PC port of Sleeping Dogs is supposed to be damn impressive too.

#10 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Snail said:

Like the offline races against AI in GTA IV. Have autolog-style leaderboards for all the activities in GTA V, generated from your friendslist. People who enjoy competition gain a lot of replay value and incentive for gameplay mastery by such a thing. I love a good old high score chase. *How the fuck did that guy do that? I'm going to beat that fucker!*

That's not asymmetric multiplayer though is it? That sort of in-game leaderboards are just in-game leaderboards. Asymmetric multiplayer is essentially when there's a multiplayer mode where not all players play with the same gameplay mechanics. That's described in the wiki page you linked to.

#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Seppli said:

@Snail said:

That's not asymmetric multiplayer though is it? That sort of in-game leaderboards are just in-game leaderboards. Asymmetric multiplayer is essentially when there's a multiplayer mode where not all players play with the same gameplay mechanics. That's described in the wiki page you linked to.

Leaderboards are the most basic form of asymmetric multiplayer. Timed events like in SSX take it a step further, since the leaderboards reset every so often, and there's actual rewards for placing high on the high score board - and most importantly, such events are not exclusive to friends only. Then there are ghosts and AI-behavioural patterns influenced by other players (as seen in some fighting games). Much can be done with the concept of asymmetric multiplayer/gameplay, but even the most basic form of the concept would be much welcomed by me.

#12 Edited by Kung_Fu_Viking (701 posts) -

I think you mean "Asynchronous multiplayer" i.e. Not playing and competing simultaneously with each other.

Asymmetric multiplayer is GTA V would be something like one player controls a hostage who can't do anything other than run around and then have one team trying to protect and stop the hostage from escaping and then another team trying to save the hostage.

#13 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Snail said:

@Seppli said:

@Snail said:

Leaderboards are the most basic form of asymmetric multiplayer. Timed events like in SSX take it a step further, since the leaderboards reset every so often, and there's actual rewards for topping the high score board - and most importantly, such events are not exclusive to friends only. Then there are ghosts and so forth and so forth. Much can be done, but even the most basic form of the concept would be much welcomed by me.

Okay, maybe I'm just being a bit thick here, but I really don't get how these sort of leaderboards fall under the banner of "asymmetric multiplayer".

#14 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Seppli said:

A good oldschool high score chase makes every game better. Even GTA V. Wouldn't you agree?

I wouldn't! Such is life. It's not that it would detract from the game in any way, I just have zero interest in ever competing with others this way.

#15 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Kung_Fu_Viking: @Snail:

Kung_Fu_Viking is right. Asynchronous multiplayer is the proper term, albeit I've seen instances where the term asymmetric gameplay/multiplayer has included asynchronous multiplayer. I remember facts-checking that on google. Might just be its umbrella term.

#16 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

Nah, asymmetric is not an umbrella term that includes asynchronous. They are two completely different things.

GTA V could benefit from both asymmetric (different mechanics for different players) as well as asynchronous (numerous players competing, though not simultaneously) multiplayer.

#17 Posted by Pie (7073 posts) -

Oh man now I get to compete with my friends to see who can deliver the most pizzas!

#18 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@mikeeegeee said:

Nah, asymmetric is not an umbrella term that includes asynchronous. They are two completely different things.

GTA V could benefit from both asymmetric (different mechanics for different players) as well as asynchronous (numerous players competing, though not simultaneously) multiplayer.

I read it on several occassion in *professional* articles in regards to SSX - it definitely sounded wrong to me at first, but I just adopted to that circumstance. Sure would make more sense, if it were two completely different things.

Anyways - in regards to asymmetric multiplayer, it sure seems like GTA V will support it big time, assuming we will be able to pull off heists in multiplayer, which is very likely, since the main game is all about big heists, and swapping between flying choppers, rappelling down sky scrapers, and sniping cops in the forehead.

Yep, both would be sweet, and will likely be big parts of GTA V - regardless if asymmetric multiplayer an umbrella term or not.

@pie said:

Oh man now I get to compete with my friends to see who can deliver the most pizzas!

Just what I was thinking. Owning Highscores like it's the 80s.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I wouldn't mind this at all!

#20 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Dunno if I'd use it much because I don't have too many online friends, especially ones who are into the competitive high score game, but I always love seeing this in games. I think if every time I killed a flying rat in GTA 4 something popped up saying, "hey you've killed this many and your friend killed more than you", I'd actually try to get all of the hidden pigeons.

#21 Edited by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

I like the idea of asynchronous multiplayer, and I'd probably participate. Hell, any multiplayer is good.

But they'd better make sure the single player offline experience is solid. Many a Friday night in my house goes along the lines of "what? My ISP is doing 'upgrades' AGAIN, and we've got no internet connection for the next how many hours??!! Aw fuck! Well, at least I can pop in this single-player game without any crappy always-connected DRM bullshit, and play something."

As long as they support that, I'm on board with whatever multiplayer features they want to implement.

#22 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

It'd be very surprising if this wasn't in there.

Rockstar has said GTA V is doing some very different stuff with multiplayer so we'll see. I'm excited to find out.

#23 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

I would like to see this taken one step further where you can play missions in the game against the ghost of one of your friends.

#24 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Can't say I'd be bothered if it wasn't there, but it was pretty good in Sleeping Dogs, so it'd work pretty well in GTA as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.