Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Claude, Tommy, and CJ

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By wmoyer83

Are obviously not in this game in any capacity....or are they?

I had the thought that Trevor, Michael, and Franklin are all evolved from the basic concepts of the PS2 characters.

Trevor is a psychotic ex-convict, just like Claude.

Michael is a ex-criminal finding his way back into the life of crime, just like Tommy.

Franklin is a street gangster who is trying to get out of the hood and tapping into his potential, just like CJ.

Is it too far fetched to think that GTA V's main characters are spiritual successors to the characters from the PS2 generation, or are they just coincidences?

I feel that this game will satisfy both the people that pine for the old game characters and those that want new canon for the franchise by expanding upon the subtext of GTA3, VC, and SA. Thoughts?

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sasnake

Thats all well and good, but nothing ever really made me think Claude was "psychotic". Only thing that comes to it is if the PLAYER decides to massacre everyone, in that instance thats not a characteristic of Claude as a character of characteristic of a character characteristic....also I never saw anywhere that Trevor is an ex-convict, just a drug, party loving ex-military pilot.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Wow I've never really thought of it that way; having the three protagonists project the "III"-era three is a really neat idea! Hopefully there's some more telling hints dropped in the game that are subtle callbacks to the "III" characters and what things they've gotten into, I'd definitely appreciate the nostalgia of being reminded about those games.

However, what exactly was telling about Claude being psychotic aside from being quiet all the time, doing crazy stuff, and killing his ex-girlfriend (but for a really good reason)?

I mean all GTA protagonists have done some crazy things, so even that item isn't necessarily telling of him being psychotic. And he might not have reallyshot Maria, which might be minor evidence to him being a sociopath at least.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

I would like more Claude in my GTA.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I think it's enough that they each look like the GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas protagonists, for us to acknowledge it as fan service.

We don't need similar characteristics and histories for these guys.. These three look extremely similar to the three we love, and surely it's intentional, therefore this is Rockstar serving its fans. Yay!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

Tommy wasn't an ex criminal was he, wasn't he just a regular criminal?

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wmoyer83

@Hizang: I suppose, I'm not sure if his prison stint halted his criminal career or postponed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.