Did GTA V have a graphics boost?

#1 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

looks alot better than the previous game.

#2 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Totally deserved a thread!!!!!!!!!!! Never hold back your urges to post threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#3 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

don't know. all i've seen is the same trailer you have other than that there is no more info.

#4 Posted by Cirdain (3088 posts) -
@AnimalFather

looks alot better than the previous game.

#5 Posted by Hunkulese (2717 posts) -

It's a trailer. The game wont look like that unless you're playing it on PC.

#6 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

The lighting looks much better. The bright sunlight and beaches also seem like a change from the dreary Liberty city.

#7 Posted by DeF (4885 posts) -

GTA IV came out in 2008, of course GTA V looks better, that's just natural tech evolution.

But don't expect it too look THIS good on your 360 or PS3

#8 Edited by awesomeusername (4182 posts) -

@Masha2932 said:

The lighting looks much better. The bright sunlight and beaches also seem like a change from the dreary Liberty city.

That's exactly what i thought. Everything looks much prettier.

@AnimalFather: Please post a bit more like explaining what looked better exactly and such or the mods will end up locking this.

@DeF said:

But don't expect it too look THIS good on your 360 or PS3

What is this 360 and PS3 you speak of?!? It's going to look 10x better then that on the PS4/NextBox!!!

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

No, they made the game look exactly like Grand theft auto IV which came out in 2008 and didn't attempt to improve the graphics.

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Another Animal Father classic.

#11 Posted by Salesmunn (75 posts) -

I was actually pretty unimpressed with the graphics. I played GTA IV last night on my PC and it looked just as good. Obviously the lighting seemed better but it is sunny California. I'm hoping this is only on the next generation of consoles, not these older systems. I'd be surprised if it is though, considering a comparatively small install base compared to current gen consoles.

#12 Posted by mattyhochs (25 posts) -

It's been three years, it better.

#13 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

I was just playing GTA IV on the 360. It feels a little dated. Red Dead looks much better, and so does this new trailer.

#14 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

The lighting was better, less jaggies or non animation was a lot smoother. although it was a demo trailer but still. more details on screen.

#15 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

five star thread would read again and print out and frame and pass down generations to come/10

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10986 posts) -

It looked way better to me.

Moderator
#17 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

No, they made the game look exactly like Grand theft auto IV which came out in 2008 and didn't attempt to improve the graphics.

#18 Posted by Dport (102 posts) -

I hope it's a massive improvement on GTA IV. That game doesn't look good compared to what other games have been released since.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3652 posts) -

The lighting definitely looks like it's improved, though not sure about the character models, I think the faces are much more improved. The cars look fantastic as always. Need to see more footage to confirm though.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

GTAIV has not aged well, go back and look at GTAIV and compare it to L.A. Noire.

#21 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@Hizang said:

GTAIV has not aged well, go back and look at GTAIV and compare it to L.A. Noire.

Come on, it doesn't look that bad.

#22 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

According to early reports, it's a refined version of a modified version of the Rage Engin from Red Dead Redemption

#23 Posted by Bucketdeth (8010 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

It's a trailer. The game wont look like that unless you're playing it on PC.

It looked like legit 360/PS3 footage to me. It does look better than GTA 4, but it still had some aliasing issues and even a drop in framerate when that guy gets pushed down, that will probably be ironed out before release though.

#24 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

A sequel that looks better than its predecessor? I'll be fucking damned. Stop the presses, folks.

And if GTA IV can look this good with mods, V will be able to look intense I wager.

Gotta love mods. Other than the ones that add real life products, funnily enough like the Merc in that screen. I don't want real shit in my parody GTA-land. That ain't right.

#25 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Hizang said:

GTAIV has not aged well, go back and look at GTAIV and compare it to L.A. Noire.

Come on, it doesn't look that bad.

I thought it looked alright at 60 frames per second on PC. : )

#26 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

@Salesmunn said:

I was actually pretty unimpressed with the graphics.

#27 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's too early to tell how much V is improved graphics-wise. Wait until people start getting hands-on time, probably next E3.

#28 Posted by Salesmunn (75 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

A sequel that looks better than its predecessor? I'll be fucking damned. Stop the presses, folks.

And if GTA IV can look this good with mods, V will be able to look intense I wager.

Gotta love mods. Other than the ones that add real life products, funnily enough like the Merc in that screen. I don't want real shit in my parody GTA-land. That ain't right.

What mod(s) is that and where can I get it!? QUICKLY!

#29 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
#30 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

Character models look more detailed (They remind me of The Sims 3 actually...) and there seems to be an increase in "stuff" in the world. Beyond that, you would have to pick apart footage between the two games and get technical like "Looks like they added self-shadowing to the character models."

It's hard to tell because of the graphics-dementia when something new comes out. "This Wii game looks like a Gamecube game." <- Forgot how old Gamecube games look now. "Ocarina of Time 3D doesn't look that different from the original" <- Forgot how simple those graphics were. Link's nose had three polygons.

#31 Edited by soapcell (24 posts) -

There is one really subtle effect that shows they've improved the engine a little.

The yellow colour sort of "bleeds" into his shirt
#32 Posted by Jeust (10631 posts) -

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4794 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

No, they made the game look exactly like Grand theft auto IV which came out in 2008 and didn't attempt to improve the graphics.

You think you're being a smart ass, but at the time this felt like exactly what they did between GTA 3 -> San Andreas.

#35 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Hizang said:

GTAIV has not aged well, go back and look at GTAIV and compare it to L.A. Noire.

Come on, it doesn't look that bad.

It really doesn't, it still has a certain style, and hue that make it seem pretty solidly nice looking. It's of course not the best looking, classic game, but it isn't bad by any means.

#36 Posted by Jeust (10631 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

#37 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

Which would put it in line with current consoles. Darksiders 2 is also a Wii U game, but is coming out on everything else. The Wii U isn't a major generational leap in terms of graphics, it's been said that it's around equal or slightly improved on the current gen consoles. it'll never in a million billion years be a Wii U exclusive, either way. And they'll never put it on Wii U before the Xbox or PS3, it would be suicide from a business standpoint.

#38 Edited by Jeust (10631 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

Which would put it in line with current consoles. Darksiders 2 is also a Wii U game, but is coming out on everything else. The Wii U isn't a major generational leap in terms of graphics, it's been said that it's around equal or slightly improved on the current gen consoles. it'll never in a million billion years be a Wii U exclusive, either way. And they'll never put it on Wii U before the Xbox or PS3, it would be suicide from a business standpoint.

Something may have iluded me, but why are you waiting for GTA V to be released next year?

#39 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Wow. Pointless thread.

#40 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

Another quality thread from animal father. But yeah it does look really nice. I hope we can climb those mountains because flying a hippy van off of the one in San Andreas was probably my favorite part of San Andreas.

#41 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

Which would put it in line with current consoles. Darksiders 2 is also a Wii U game, but is coming out on everything else. The Wii U isn't a major generational leap in terms of graphics, it's been said that it's around equal or slightly improved on the current gen consoles. it'll never in a million billion years be a Wii U exclusive, either way. And they'll never put it on Wii U before the Xbox or PS3, it would be suicide from a business standpoint.

It may have iluded me something, but why are you waiting for GTA V to be released next year?

That game is coming out for this current set of consoles, the Wii U, and PC. They want/need that game to sell well. It is a good guess that it is going to come out next year. But, nothing is in stone. From the look of the trailer and the diversity of the environments shown, they are deep into development for that title. So, there is a leg to stand on with the 2012 release argument.

Ahh speculation. You cruel mistress.

#42 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If it's console only, or comes out on console first again they better fix the framerate. GTA IV ran like ASS.

#43 Posted by HatKing (5935 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

It's a trailer. The game wont look like that unless you're playing it on PC.

It's RockStar, man. When's the last time they focused development on PC.

Besides that, the game looks better in more ways than just draw distance and textures. The lighting and models all look better. In the same way San Andreas looked a step above the other two GTA games. It's not blowing GTAIV out of the water graphically or anything, but it's certainly a step above.

#44 Edited by Jeust (10631 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

Which would put it in line with current consoles. Darksiders 2 is also a Wii U game, but is coming out on everything else. The Wii U isn't a major generational leap in terms of graphics, it's been said that it's around equal or slightly improved on the current gen consoles. it'll never in a million billion years be a Wii U exclusive, either way. And they'll never put it on Wii U before the Xbox or PS3, it would be suicide from a business standpoint.

It may have iluded me something, but why are you waiting for GTA V to be released next year?

That game is coming out for this current set of consoles, the Wii U, and PC. They want/need that game to sell well. It is a good guess that it is going to come out next year. But, nothing is in stone. From the look of the trailer and the diversity of the environments shown, they are deep into development for that title. So, there is a leg to stand on with the 2012 release argument.

Ahh speculation. You cruel mistress.

I don't think so. Still one can hope.

#45 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Jeust said:

I bet it won't come in this generation of consoles, so of course it looks better.

It's out like next year though, I can't see that happening.

Rumours said that GTA V would be a launch title for the Wii U.

Which would put it in line with current consoles. Darksiders 2 is also a Wii U game, but is coming out on everything else. The Wii U isn't a major generational leap in terms of graphics, it's been said that it's around equal or slightly improved on the current gen consoles. it'll never in a million billion years be a Wii U exclusive, either way. And they'll never put it on Wii U before the Xbox or PS3, it would be suicide from a business standpoint.

It may have iluded me something, but why are you waiting for GTA V to be released next year?

That game is coming out for this current set of consoles, the Wii U, and PC. They want/need that game to sell well. It is a good guess that it is going to come out next year. But, nothing is in stone. From the look of the trailer and the diversity of the environments shown, they are deep into development for that title. So, there is a leg to stand on with the 2012 release argument.

Ahh speculation. You cruel mistress.

I don't think so. Still one can hope.

Well the rumors I've read that weren't being ridiculous and did accurately pinpoint the game's setting also said they were going for a 2012 release. Which just plain makes sense as a last swansong for that generation before all the new stuff gets announced. Also no one puts out a trailer years before games come out anymore. It's not a good marketing strategy and they've realized that. Also showing as much as that trailer did implies the game is quite far into it's development already. This ain't the planning stage that's for sure.

#46 Posted by Hunkulese (2717 posts) -

@HatKing: Why does it matter if they've focused on the PC. The PC has had the best looking versions of the GTA games in the past and the best looking version of GTA V will be the PC version.

#47 Posted by HatKing (5935 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Because the PC versions of the games often don't exist for a year after release and it's usually ported (from what I hear, poorly) by somebody other than RockStar. The point is that the footage shown very likely isn't PC footage, but in fact PS3 or 360.

#48 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

ps4 720 wont even look 10 x better sorry to bust your bubble dont be suprised if they at least reach wii u tech ,

especally if the xbox720 rumors are true - theyll be pulling back on graphics the next gen in favor of kenict as yall probably would have suspected

and since sony already having trouble get back what it lost by making the monster known as ps3, you wont see much from them ,

so ya what is this your talking about cause from what i gather the wii u is the most powerful console of these 3 and the other 2 are rumored to not be that much more powerful and i dont think it will look that much better, maybe some areas , but -- a pure overhaul would make this game a wii u exclusive if anything

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.