Disappointed in how few "real" heists there are.

#1 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

I bought GTA 5 several days after launch, because I wanted to hear the reviews. After listening to and reading reviewers who I trust--like Jeff--I was most excited to play the "heists." The idea of scoping out a location, picking your crew, choosing your entrance and exit strategies, executing however you like, switching between the protagonists at will... It all just sounded great.

And the first heist, the jewelry store, did not disappoint. I got to pick a crew, choose my methods, play as different guys, etc. It was a lot of fun.

I am 50% through the game. I have completed 52 of 69 missions. And I have yet to enjoy that same experience again. Has anyone else had this same problem with the game?

Yes, I've pulled off other heists: the minisub heist, the armored car heist, the Paleto bank robbery... But in none of those did I go as deeply as I did in the first heist. I didn't have the same number of choices for my crew, I didn't have the same depth of options for how to execute, I didn't have the need/opportunity to switch between my guys. All-in-all, it's been really disappointing. And with only 17 more missions in the "proper game," I can't imagine there are more than 2 or 3 heists to go.

It seems like Rockstar put together the jewelry store heist as a demo or proof of concept, and really put their best foot forward. But then everything else just fell flat. Am I missing something? Does anyone else feel this way? I am not looking for spoilers, so if there are a dozen more, super-awesome heists to play in the other half of the game, you don't need to tell me. I just felt the need to vent.

(Also, my earlier mention of Jeff and other reviewers that I trust was not meant to indicate that now I trust them any less. And GTA 5 is a lot of fun. I just wish that it featured more of what I believe to be its best material.)

#2 Posted by Assumedkilla (16 posts) -

The game feels incomplete to me. It feels like their origin story and there are more adventures to come, not a fully complete standalone story. The bank heist and FIB one were the best to me. The last one and last mission were pretty lame. I'd definitely like to see some campaign DLC with Trevor doing stuff in the country, Frank in the hood, and Michael in Hollywood.

#3 Edited by Nodima (1165 posts) -

I agree, I felt similarly by the time I was at your point in the game. The second half of that game is a pretty wild ride for the most part but it felt like it was answering for a different promise than the one the game initially makes. At the start of the game I was playing very methodical, doing a lot of walking, hanging out in front of the TV, smoking weed for inner monologues and so on. But it wasn't long after Trevor moved into Los Santos that the game felt a lot more manic.

#4 Edited by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

It is really hard to engage in this discussion with out saying spoilers but their is at least one more major heist in the game and a few which are out of the box. Again it is all story related.

#5 Posted by gaminghooligan (1438 posts) -

I think (and this is total speculation) there are going to be more heists in the Online portion of of the game. At least I really hope so, because my friends and I are chomping at the bit for some coop heist action. As far as the single player goes, I thought there could have been more, but it didn't really bother me all that much.

#6 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

I really hope you can create new heists in GTA online. That would be really rally awesome and a great way to get more money.

#7 Edited by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

Yupp. I thought there would be a bunch of heists but there weren't. Kind of disappointed but whatever. It was fun.

#8 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1728 posts) -

Yeah, I'm with you; this is the most disappointing aspect of the game by far. I'm not even as far as you, but I've talked to some friends who are farther along than I, because I'm wondering when the 'real' heists are going to pop up, and when the hell I'm supposed to start making serious money. You don't even get paid for the submarine and armored truck missions. It's not that the rest of the game isn't great, because a lot of the other missions are some great fun. The big, elaborate heists were what I was looking forward to most, though, and there just aren't enough of them.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (5027 posts) -

Just to make sure I understand:

There are only 2 heist where you pick a hacker correct? If that is the case that is really dumb, thought I would have the opportunity to build a heist team by doing a few heists with them then rob the world, but only 2 of the 6 or so heists I really enjoyed. First one is the best by far. Want to see how the guns blazing plays out.

If GTA Online is all about heists then great (I'll at least try it out then) but I would love some heist dlc to do with the AI partners. Really liked the idea of picking how to do it, with whom and their cut, and then the prep stuff. Was expecting more

#10 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

The last heist is easily the best (if you are where I think you are, they've already alluded to "the big score"). I agree - too few heists, easily the most fun missions in the game because of the set-up. Those missions were what I wanted out of the Payday games. Hopefully the DLC will be all or mostly heists - tbh, I don't have a lot of confidence GTA Online will include more of them. Rockstar multiplayer modes haven't been the most compelling because of the way the shooting works in all of their games and I doubt they would improve even if they add online heist missions.

#11 Posted by MiniPato (2735 posts) -

I didn't like how much the missions revolved around being blackmailed by the FIB or just doing favors. You are constantly doing all these missions for a 4 digit pittance with only 3 of the 6 or so heists giving any big payout. Doing that Merryweather heist only to have to return the secret score and seeing that +20,000,000 and then the -20,000,000 felt like such a cop out. Same with the train heist where you happen to find an artifact that Martin Madrazo happens to collect and then you give it to him. I mean, they make a big deal out of the train, saying it carries lots of valuable cargo once a year or something and then you end up only grabbing that one suitcase.

#12 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

Yeah I feel like all the reviews and pre-release stuff hyped up the heists as being a big part of the game, but yeah - there weren't that many of them.
Was a bit of a bummer, but still really enjoyed the game regardless.

#13 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

@minipato said:

I didn't like how much the missions revolved around being blackmailed by the FIB or just doing favors.

Of all the story telling mechanisms Rockstar continually re-uses, I think this is the one I'd like to see disappear the most. I can't recall if it happens in 3 or Vice City, but San Andreas, 4 and 5 all have plot threads where you're doing the bidding of some fucking shady government agency. I guess it's the way they justify the characters being able to engage in all sorts of bat-shit crazy criminal activity without being immediately hunted down and locked up or murdered, but it's a way more integral part of the story this time around. I didn't really get the impression from any preview coverage that I would basically be working for the government against my will for most of the game's big missions.

#14 Posted by MiniPato (2735 posts) -

@ksaw said:

@minipato said:

I didn't like how much the missions revolved around being blackmailed by the FIB or just doing favors.

Of all the story telling mechanisms Rockstar continually re-uses, I think this is the one I'd like to see disappear the most. I can't recall if it happens in 3 or Vice City, but San Andreas, 4 and 5 all have plot threads where you're doing the bidding of some fucking shady government agency. I guess it's the way they justify the characters being able to engage in all sorts of bat-shit crazy criminal activity without being immediately hunted down and locked up or murdered, but it's a way more integral part of the story this time around. I didn't really get the impression from any preview coverage that I would basically be working for the government against my will for most of the game's big missions.

Don't forget RDR. John Marston and Michael are pretty much in the exact same situation. Having their dark past being dangled in front of them in exchange for doing dirty work. They want Marston to eliminate his old crew and they wanted Michael to get rid of his crew and Trevor later on.

I also got the impression that we'd be working to undermine the authorities, not working for them. I thought Michael would get back into the game of his own volition because he missed the rush of pulling off heists. But most of the time it's like you're taking one step forward and two steps back. You pay a debt, but get into deeper shit with someone else.

#15 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

Yup, the first jewelry heist was fucking awesome, and left me wanting a lot more than I got. Wish they'd spend more time constructing more heists missions, and less time writing busted iPhone apps for your virtual dog.

#16 Edited by Humanity (9062 posts) -

I actually felt they are spaced out quite well. I like doing the heists but it's quite a time investment to set them up. I like doing the big job and then doing a few side missions in between.

The one thing I didn't like is that you don't get paid for too many of the jobs because someone just didn't feel like paying you. For a band of ruthless criminals Michael and Trevor sure seem content in getting dicked over by others.

#17 Edited by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@humanity: Yeah, when refused payment for the 5 cars, I was like Oh, this shit won't stand, motherfucker!, and then Franklin just sorta moped and sulked.

#18 Posted by Vanick (329 posts) -

I was a bit disappointed as well. Being able to upgrade crew members made me think that I would be using them quite a bit but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Hopefully there will be quite a few more in multiplayer.

#19 Edited by Castiel (2580 posts) -

The heists, or hesit like missions, are without a doubt the coolest thing about the game. Unfortunately there just isn't enough of them. You also don't get enough opportunities to "train" lousy crew members up since there are so few heists/crew missions. I wish they played a much bigger role in the game to be honest.

GTA V is a really cool game and all, but after finishing the main story and all the side missions I just don't have any interest in going back in and I don't even know if that will change with GTA online. The Last of Us is still my game of the year.

#20 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@sharkethic: yah Franklin is one thing but Trevor was there and he literally just disappeared.

#21 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

@vanick: This is a big sticking point with me, too. I really enjoyed when AC: Brotherhood introduced the idea of leveling up your Assassin "brothers." I was hoping this would be similar, though with the player actively involved in the activities. But I brought in the hacker in the first heist, and then didn't get to use her again until near the end of the game.

#22 Posted by wooville1 (10 posts) -

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but does anyone know if you choose the first method (the one where you have to blow up the ship) on Trevor's heist if you get any money? It seems like everyone did the other one with the submarine (unless they both involve submarines). Just curious.

#23 Posted by face15 (1297 posts) -

@wooville1: I did the offshore one too but I saw my roommate do that mission today and she blew up the ship. It's exactly the same deal; you recover the weapon then Lester shows up at the last minute and tells you to put it back and you get nothing.

#24 Edited by wooville1 (10 posts) -

@face15: ty, just wanted to make sure

#25 Edited by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

@minipato said:

@ksaw said:

@minipato said:

Don't forget RDR. John Marston and Michael are pretty much in the exact same situation. Having their dark past being dangled in front of them in exchange for doing dirty work. They want Marston to eliminate his old crew and they wanted Michael to get rid of his crew and Trevor later on.

I also got the impression that we'd be working to undermine the authorities, not working for them. I thought Michael would get back into the game of his own volition because he missed the rush of pulling off heists. But most of the time it's like you're taking one step forward and two steps back. You pay a debt, but get into deeper shit with someone else.

I'm in a love/hate relationship with the game's campaign mostly because I spent the entire time working for pricks I wanted to kill and internally screaming 'When the fUCK DO I GET PAID!? I'M SICK OF DOING THIS WORK FOR FREE!'

While that was the most frustrating feeling in the world, it's weird that the game had me engender that much empathy for their situation. I was so fucking ready to kill Haines by the end of that game, and if I did one more heist where someone took a majority of my money away from me, I was going to lose my fucking mind. I was playing a game whose main characters were thieves, and spent most of the missions not making a goddamn dime. It was infuriating, but in a way I feel was on purpose. Whether it was or not, I don't know, but that's how it felt.

#26 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

I felt the same way. I was expecting way more than what I got, and considering the plethora of interesting locales and possibilities for bank hiests in a game like GTA V, this definitely fell short.

Spoilers incoming.

One instance was the case of Brad, who, for the sake of story, was put in the box instead of Michael. Yet, there's an entire prison complex that just sits untouched throughout the game. Why not stage a breakout? Sure, the conflict between Trevor and Michael needed some juice, but the place is practically begging for some kind of narrative purpose. Hell, maybe even lock one of the three in there. Or have Lamar get caught up by the police and leverage Franklin bring the plot to the gang.

The other problem I had with the lack of heists was the fact that I never got the chance to grow my companions. Only two heists require drivers and hackers: the first and the last. Choosing one driver meant no matter what, the second, albeit seemingly unnecessary (in my case, at least), driver never got the chance to grow. Same goes for the LiveInvader hacker who continuously calls you begging for work.

Maybe there just wasn't enough space, or perhaps the need to make Michael more of a "No, really, this is my last job" kind of guy overruled many of the concepts for heists, but I feel like there could have been so many more set-pieces.

Hell, we only got the option to choose our masks once throughout the entire game. You only choose your get-away location twice. In all, there are three meaningful heists. For a game that sells itself on that premise, this came up way shorter than I expected.

#27 Edited by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

@space_sandwich: I think you summed up everything I came away with after finishing the game last night. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I wish there would have been more of the larger scale heists similar to the jewelry store and "big score."

#28 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

My response to this thread is a big: "yyyyuup."

When launching the game up, I was expecting more self-reliability to plan the heists out. Something along the lines of "go check out the area you'll be performing the heist out in" and the game would let you go off and discover certain aspects yourself, like "this vent can be used for A.access & B.gas weapons. And you use whatever you discover in whichever way you want to achieve your goal. Not all this pre-scripted stuff organized in a fashion to fabricate freedom in the heist.

This would have had potential to translate well into end-game as well, as you would be able to plan many heists around simple objectives in sooo many different ways in the open roaming of the game.

#29 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

This game definitely felt incomplete. It was great, and I'm glad I bought it, but so much real estate was left untouched.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.