Does winning a 1-player race count toward unlocks?

#1 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

I need to "win" 16 off-road races to unlock some cool stuff for my truck.

But I suck at driving in GTA.

Can I game the system and just host a bunch of 1-player races and "win" them sixteen times? (Yes, I know that I am "cheating" and "not playing the way the developers intended" and "only hurting my own experience" and "everything that is wrong with video games" and a "racist" for doing this. But cut me a teensy bit of slack, please. Thanks.)

#2 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

isn't there a minimum of 2 players in races ?

#3 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I was just about to test that out, when the servers hit the crapper this afternoon. You'll be racing against 1-2 guys at the most anyways, the decrepid way matchmaking is working currently.

#4 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -
#5 Posted by MB (12260 posts) -

I did quite a few solo "races" yesterday...they count.

#6 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: No. You can start a race with just yourself.

Weird... must be boring to do 16 races by yourself :P What is it you want to unlock ?

#7 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: It is more boring to try 16 times and lose every one of them. Plus, it's extremely frustrating.

#8 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: It is more boring to try 16 times and lose every one of them. Plus, it's extremely frustrating.

Yeah that's true, i'm probably gonna do the same to get some unlocks.

#9 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

Okay. Just tested this out. The recent patch must have fixed it, because wining a 1-player race did not advance me at all toward the unlock.

#10 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

It doesn't, it didn't even pre-patch. I tried it out.

#11 Posted by JacobFromMT (45 posts) -

Anyone wanna get together and trade wins to get some upgrades? Specifically in the muscle class, I gotta make my Gauntlet faster.

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@thebooknerd said:

@thatdutchguy: No. You can start a race with just yourself.

Weird... must be boring to do 16 races by yourself :P What is it you want to unlock ?

Yes you can start a race by yourself. And yes, it counts. Just host and start solo. Not that I'd recommend it for fun.

#13 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@verendus said:

It doesn't, it didn't even pre-patch. I tried it out.

It's car class specific. Keep that in mind. Sports. Coupe. SUV. Super. etc.

You are unlocking by class. And racing solo works towards that end, in an incredibly dull manner.

#14 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

@seppli: It doesn't work for motorcycles then. Unless those have different motorcycle classes? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

#15 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

Alright, I tried this out one more time and it doesn't count towards unlocks for motorcycles. Shame.

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

The offroad races are still fun by yourself. I imagine boating would sure suck though haha

#18 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Dunno. I progressed in car classes I've only tried out in solo instances, checkig and comparing stats for what I shall get for that class as my pimp-my-ride project. The game must lump car classes together somehow, unlike what the tooltip says.

#20 Edited by UberExplodey (939 posts) -

Alright, so I just spent about an hour or so trading wins on the "Criminal Record" race (totalled about 40? 45?) with some patient soul and ended up getting those upgrades that were gated by WIN X AMOUNT OF TIMES and everything unlocks. Categories don't mean anything.

Some upgrades are gated by your player level, however.

#21 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Alright, so I just spent about an hour or so trading wins on the "Criminal Record" race (totalled about 40? 45?) with some patient soul and ended up getting those upgrades that were gated by WIN X AMOUNT OF TIMES and everything unlocks. Categories don't mean anything.

Yeah definately the case, since I've won 15 legitimate races and lost 25 and I got the unlocks for 12 wins on bike, even though there is no way in hell 12 of my 15 wins were on bikes.

#22 Edited by TehCraw (5 posts) -

so that's how you've raced ahead on the crew leaderboards for races ;)

#23 Edited by UberExplodey (939 posts) -

@tehcraw: haha that wasn't my intention, I did it solely to beef up my Sultan RS. Cops can't touch me now!

#24 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@seppli: I haven't had any problem filling out 16 person groups on the 360 all week.

#25 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

I could use some help (i.e. trading wins) in some offroad races. Lost my Rank 23 character, along with my off-road truck and all the upgrades. Now I can't get a single, random person to join me for an offroad race so that I can unlock all the goodies again.

If you care to trade wins in an offroad race, my 360 GT is The Book Nerd.

#26 Posted by _clutchhhh (1 posts) -

Umm @TheBookNerd can you help win certain amout of races ???.. trying to unlock all my mods i haven't won that many races

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.